And some more...

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

And some more...

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:15 am

Just found out that one of my office machines was Folding, but with no team number. Got that fixed.

Also just added another Dell Celeron 2.2ghz this morning. Puts me to five systems at work so far. :) Definitely further into yellow, gonna need a few more to make orange. ;)

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:29 pm

Heh. Borged my ex-wife's 2GHz P-III(IV?) yesterday. That's my fifth machine, too, but I'm not sure how much it's on. The kids say it's on fairly often.

I was wondering what you did to jump your score up so quickly.

I bought a few more network cables this weekend so that I can wire up a few slow old boxes lying around the house and let them kick in a WU as often as they can. Soon I should have one or two K6-2 450MHz boxen, a P-III 650MHz, and a Athlon 700MHz. That whole mess may add up to a "real" system and a half or so. Dunno. I'm not sure that the K6-2 boxes will even finish the WUs fast enough to make Stanford happy.

On the Stanford stats your user name shows as having 7 WU unassigned to any team. Was that the other box, or does it belong to another Zyzzyx?

For amusement, I checked the people above us to see how far up the food chain we show up on the "Potential Threats" radar. You're on MikeC's list in the #6 spot, for about 11 months from now! We both show up on CharlieChan's radar in the middle of next year.

This is more fun that it should be. I keep getting flashbacks of William Shatner speaking to the "Star Trek conventioneers" in a skit on Saturday Night Live saying, "GET A LIFE!" Only I think I'm one of the ones in the Captain Kirk shirts... :roll:

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:06 pm

That was the 'other' box. That's how I noticed it too. Used to only have a couple unassigned WU. Just think where I'd be if I had started with SPCR, instead of starting my own team long ago. Racked up over 5000 points with my other team first. <sigh> And that was only with 3 systems.

Yeah, it is a strange sort of fun, isn't it? I've got three new Dell systems coming into the office this week, so I should be able to get those covered. Probably more 2.2 Celerons.

I've got an old K6/2-266 at home, my server. It doesn't like Folding anymore though. I knocked a tiny resistor off the motherboard when I was trying to remove the CPU heatsink. Works fine in everyday use (just sitting there), but doesn't like CPU intensive work, locks up in under 5 minutes.

DonP

Post by DonP » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:18 pm

You enjoy it while it lasts guys.. with your recent push you'll both pass me in the next week or so.. the first people to pass me since I joined.. and I'm not very happy about it :evil:

This is just the calm before the storm. :)
I'm negotiating the borging of four dual Xeons.
<cue maniacal laughter>

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:26 pm

Sbabb mentioned:
I was wondering what you did to jump your score up so quickly.
That 388/day score the other day was a fluke. With 8 WUs, every computer finished at least one that day. Rather unusual.

You're the one that still has a nicely increasing trend line. Mine is increasing but not nearly as steeply. Should be interesting to see where we level out. I had levelled off around 750/wk for awhile, but then I've added the new work systems. ;)