Hi, first time post on these boards here
I'm planning to build a DIY NAS box for some time now and did some research on what I actually want. Things required for my NAS box are:
* I will go for software raid, ZFS.
* 64bit cpu (required for ZFS to operate efficiently)
* ZFS also depends on processor speed, so need a good CPU but also low power as this box will run 24/7
* Expandable Harddrives incase I want more free space, so need at least space for 4 HDD's.
* Silent is good, low power usage is better
The main use for my NAS is to store my data/media and serve them to my Mac Mini which will be hooked up to my TV. But it will also serve as a download machine.
So far I came up with the following specs:
* Lian Li PC-Q08 case, has space for 6 HDD's and looks nice and not is TOO big
* Zotac H55ITX mainboard, has support for 6 SATA ports and has some nice reviews
* Intel Core i3 530 (was initially going for an Atom, but reviews point out the i3 530 has better idle usage)
I have not yet figured out which PSU I can get, does anyone know a good one to go with the above specs? How much watt do I need to get?
If someone has a suggestion for my setup please let me know too!