GELID Icy Vision Dual Fan VGA Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

GELID Icy Vision Dual Fan VGA Cooler

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:18 am

Wow, and I thought my Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo was amazing! I'm not about to spend $55 to replace it, since the TT keeps my 8800GT at way under 70C at 5V, but now I know what to get if I ever wanted to upgrade to one of those super-powered graphics cards! :D

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 am

Nice !!! It's amazing this cooler can cool the GPU with the fans at 4V !!! :shock:
I wonder how it would perform with SPCR's stock fans (Nexus 92mm)... :?:

Psycownage

Post by Psycownage » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Nice review as always, have been thinking about getting this for my gtx 480 as it can get crazy noisy. Would this be suitable?

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:05 pm

if you were buying the 480 new, and wanted the best cpu cooler, you'd get the zotac AMP! 480 video card... the vrm sinks that it has are one solid piece of finned metal, it's quieter, and it cools better than anything else out there... nothing else comes close.

guises

Post by guises » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Excellent. Really appreciate the VGA cooler reviews, as they're just about the hardest things to cool.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Why do you measure VRM temps when testing aftermarket VGA coolers, while you do not measure the same VRM temps when testing out of the box VGA cards?

Regards,
Luca

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Why do you measure VRM temps when testing aftermarket VGA coolers, while you do not measure the same VRM temps when testing out of the box VGA cards?
If you don't see VRM temps, it means we couldn't find any software that could detect it, or it's old review.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:00 am

Lawrence Lee wrote:If you don't see VRM temps, it means we couldn't find any software that could detect it, or it's old review.

Actually, after a very quick scan, it seems to me that SPCR have never published any VRM temps for tested VGA cards.

It seems to me SPCR publish those data only when testing a cooler: how do you take those measures? For the Gelid you have used a HIS 4890: you also have tested that card alone, on April 2009, and that time I'm almost sure you haven't measured any VRM temps. This is a lack of a reference for your readers.

Regards,
Luca

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Lawrence Lee wrote:If you don't see VRM temps, it means we couldn't find any software that could detect it, or it's old review.

Actually, after a very quick scan, it seems to me that SPCR have never published any VRM temps for tested VGA cards.

It seems to me SPCR publish those data only when testing a cooler: how do you take those measures? For the Gelid you have used a HIS 4890: you also have tested that card alone, on April 2009, and that time I'm almost sure you haven't measured any VRM temps. This is a lack of a reference for your readers.
April 2009 = old. You'll see VRM temps in the HIS 5870 review. Most of the cards we get are lower end ones that lack VRM temperature sensors.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:00 pm

Lawrence Lee wrote:You'll see VRM temps in the HIS 5870 review

Well, I don't think so (there're no VRM temps in the HIS 5870 review)...

...but hey, so are the things: I give it up!

Thanks for the patience and regards,
Luca
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloz

Post by Aloz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:37 am

I cannot source one of these to save my life within the EU, Also none of the retailers I have contacted have a stock ETA either.

I then started searching within the US and one retail site seems to suggest this item has been discontinued? and will be replaced by "version 2". I will contact them and ask for more information.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/gelid-i ... 10240.html

One thing I am surprised by is the price, it is quite resonable (if someone had stock!!) £30-40 although it does still bug me having to fork out extra to make a stock card stop overheating :(

I also emailed Gelid asking about where I could find said item, I have yet to hear anything.

Suggestions?

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm

I found a few sellers including this one selling Revision 2 of the unit for $59. They say it's back-ordered; I e-mailed them and they expect to get them in a couple of weeks.

Nostrap

Post by Nostrap » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Could this be used passively on a GTS 250?

Aloz

Post by Aloz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:00 am

wooo!

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... icy-vision
Icy Vision Rev.2 VGA Cooler for High-end ATI and Nvidia [192 due in 9 days, 12 pre-ordered] £34.03 (£39.99 inc. VAT)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:24 am

Sorry to bump and old topic but I've just purchased one of these for my HD 5850 and I have a question.

The article says:
The fans are wired to a single 4-pin connector with the same plug used on modern stock GPU fans so you can connect it directly to your graphics card and control it via software
But I've seen people say that's not possible (using NVIDIA cards).
They aren't PWM fans. The nvidia board header sends the fan speed control signal through that 4th pin, which relies on the fans themselves to do the voltage and speed control, as opposed to old school linear voltage adjustment.

The result is the fan running at 100% capacity the entire time. Adjusting the fan speed in afterburner has no effect.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:26 am

Yes, that's right - the fans run at full speed (2000 rpm) if plugged into the graphics board fan header and can't be controlled by software. From the FAQ for the Icy Vision on the Gelid website:

Q: "What is the included 4Pin to 3Pin cable for?"

A: " If you would like to adjust the fan speed, connect the included “4pin to 3pinâ€

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:32 am

Then the review should really be edited.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 am

To whom it may concern,...

I've recently installed a Gelid Icy Vision rev. 2 on my 5850 and it is [b]not [/b]compatible with the stock cooling plate (unless modded). It interferes with one/two heatpipes near the base.

130º C VRM @ 5V benchmarking Crysis Warhead... damn, gotta get me some Thermalright VRM-R4 :(

DonQ

No picture of it installed in a case?

Post by DonQ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:11 am

rpsgc wrote:Then the review should really be edited.
... I can't believe that there was no picture of the inside of a case with the GELID VGA cooler installed! Does it really use a third PCI slot? Completely or mostly?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Re: No picture of it installed in a case?

Post by rpsgc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:21 am

DonQ wrote:
... I can't believe that there was no picture of the inside of a case with the GELID VGA cooler installed! Does it really use a third PCI slot? Completely or mostly?
Take a look at these pictures and decide for yourself.

http://www.hkepc.com/forum/attachments/ ... 5ef253.jpg
http://www.hkepc.com/forum/attachments/ ... c4bd10.jpg

(the answer is yes)

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: No picture of it installed in a case?

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 am

DonQ wrote:
It's so obvious from the pics of the cooler + card that it takes up 3 slots. Besides, Larry stated explicitly in the pro/con that it "Takes up two extra slots"

jordi.c

Re: GELID Icy Vision Dual Fan VGA Cooler

Post by jordi.c » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Ok, I just ordered this cooler. Thanks for the review SPCR.

In the review it is clear that @5v the fans are inaudible while @12v they are a bit loud.

I was thinking by myself why not use my old zalman fanmate 2 with this gpu cooler as the fanmate can as low as 5v.

Is there one wire for both fans to connect in the fanmate? Else I need two fanmates. When I connect the 4 -> 3 pin header in the motherboard will I get the same result than by controlling it with software (can speedfan handle this)?

The benefit of using software is that I don't need to put the fanmate to 12v when I'm going to game as speedfan can control it by temperature.

HTH from you soon.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:52 pm

jordi.c wrote:Ok, I just ordered this cooler. Thanks for the review SPCR.

In the review it is clear that @5v the fans are inaudible while @12v they are a bit loud.

I was thinking by myself why not use my old zalman fanmate 2 with this gpu cooler as the fanmate can as low as 5v.

Is there one wire for both fans to connect in the fanmate? Else I need two fanmates. When I connect the 4 -> 3 pin header in the motherboard will I get the same result than by controlling it with software (can speedfan handle this)?

The benefit of using software is that I don't need to put the fanmate to 12v when I'm going to game as speedfan can control it by temperature.

HTH from you soon.
Yes, it's only one wire for both fans.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:47 am

OK so I'm a little (a lot) annoyed. After about 9 months of quiet operation, one day my Icy Vision begun to irk me with this loud humming noise, it just got louder overall out of nowhere, period.

Are the fans going bad? What else could've caused it? It's like the cooler is vibrating like hell and is transmitting the vibrations to the case. If I take the left side panel it's not so bad (but still awful). One day it was as if the humming was gone but the following day when I turned the computer on, it was back.

Any help is appreciated.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:25 am

rpsgc wrote:OK so I'm a little (a lot) annoyed. After about 9 months of quiet operation, one day my Icy Vision begun to irk me with this loud humming noise, it just got louder overall out of nowhere, period.

Are the fans going bad? What else could've caused it? It's like the cooler is vibrating like hell and is transmitting the vibrations to the case. If I take the left side panel it's not so bad (but still awful). One day it was as if the humming was gone but the following day when I turned the computer on, it was back.

Any help is appreciated.
Seems like bearing wear is the most likely culprit. I'd contact Gelid.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:29 am

MikeC wrote:Seems like bearing wear is the most likely culprit. I'd contact Gelid.
MikeC could you please get back to me on the PM I sent you?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 am

rpsgc wrote:
MikeC wrote:Seems like bearing wear is the most likely culprit. I'd contact Gelid.
MikeC could you please get back to me on the PM I sent you?
Please - no PMs on this. It is a most inefficient way to communicate. Anyway, there's no way for me to determine why you get 1200rpm min and we got lower... when you're exactly the same thing. All I can really suggest is that sample variance is common, and it could be a combination of factors.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:31 am

If they ask me to send the whole cooler back I might as well throw the fans in the trash and ghetto mod some new ones. Postage ain't cheap :roll:

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 am

rpsgc wrote:OK so I'm a little (a lot) annoyed. After about 9 months of quiet operation, one day my Icy Vision begun to irk me with this loud humming noise, it just got louder overall out of nowhere, period.

Any help is appreciated.
It sounds like the noise is likely bearing related. Try oiling it. See:
viewtopic.php?p=541788#p541788