Passive graphics card for Antec Solo

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

harve

Passive graphics card for Antec Solo

Post by harve » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey guys, I've been looking for a passive card for an ultra quiet Solo build with modest gaming capabilities. I think living in Australia is making this harder than it should be.

The gigabyte 5750 silent cell is definitely available here, but I'm concerned that at 13 inches long it probably wouldn't fit in the Solo. Is anyone able to give me a definitive answer to this question?

The powercolor passive cards would be a good alternative but I can't find any online Australian stores selling the 5670 or 5750.

The final option would be the Gigabyte 9800gt that I know someone on these forums definitely has fitted into a Solo.

So in summary, can a GB5750 fit into the solo? Would I be better off going for a different case (must be equally ultra quiet)? And what alternatives do I have or would you go for in my place?

flemeister

Re: Passive graphics card for Antec Solo

Post by flemeister » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Where on earth did you get that 13" long figure from? The passive Gigabyte 9800GT is longer than the passive Gigabute 5750. Don't even need a ruler/specs to compare them, just take a look at the pics in these links and compare the length of the PCI-e slot.

HD5750
9800GT

Btw, if you're in Brisbane or Melbourne you can get the passive Gigabyte 5750 for $179 from Umart.

harve

Post by harve » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:48 pm

yeah so now i feel a bit stupid. Theres a couple of sites that have the length listed at 340mm or approx 13 inches:

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Giga ... p57434.htm

thats not the site i first saw it on but I can't find it now.

I would add that when I first saw it I was fairly skeptical...but I havn't been able to find a more official source or a proper review with the dimensions...I'm thinking about shooting gigabyte an email.

kater

Post by kater » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Before HD4770 I had 9800GT with Accelero S1 and there was still plenty of space left to comfortably connect the PCI-E and fit the card. Of course both card run perfectly well & cool with just the S1. Only fan close to it is the intake 92mm in front.

The GTX260 is just a tad too long - you'd need to trim a bit of the metal HDD cage (further side) to fit it. But it's easily doable as shown here by multiple users. Then again, this card can now be considered a little dated, both in terms of performance and efficiency. Also, only a few cards (Asus?) were quiet enough for our likes. Overall, not a perfect choice.

GTX460 are v short. All will fit Solo w/o problems. Have a look at the MSI Hawk - just reviewed at techpowerup. Multiple users here confirm its awesomely quiet. Which could be expected, as the Twin Frozr design is excellent. This cooler is also used in MSI Radeons, I guess 5770 has it.

Beware of combos like Asus CuCore cards + Accelero S1 or Musashi. Cards like this have GPUs shifted way to the front of the case, so a long aftermarket cooler could be blocked by the HDD cage.