Roccat Arvo compact keyboard, anyone?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Roccat Arvo compact keyboard, anyone?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:52 pm

First of all: if you have the Arvo keyboard, I would like to hear your short opinion of it, no exceptions.

Why do I ask? I am currently the owner of a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard (for the low, low price of €19.99!) that has served me well for typing documents for a living and gaming as a hobby. The CC2k is "good enough" in all aspects, such as typing sounds, key response and size. The budget price shows a bit in the feel of the keys and the letters wearing off some of them.

Recently I have been miffed by the cheap feel and the initially-wonderful "ergonomic layout", and would like to get something more solid. I must point out I came to the CC2000 after spending €80 on the Logitech G15v2 that turned out a sloppy, gargantuan slab of plastic that I was disappointed with, so I simply sought out a reliable budget one instead. The Logitech UltraX I found pleasant to use at first, but the laptop-style keys were just too hard and oversensitive in the end.

Now I'm ready to spend again, and the Arvo looks good: very compact in size (no arrow keys/"sixpack", trimmed rim), the key response is said to be informative, the keys are half-height and the construction is said to be solid (just look at those grip pads!). I say "said to", because I have yet to meet any owners and have just read reviews; reviews sang praises for the G15v2 as well, but I found its response to be sloppy, keys unsuitable for typing and the design to be ridiculous.

So chime in if you own the keyboard or have an opinion on it - or would like to recommend a keyboard you own instead. I type a lot and play games actively.

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:46 am

I'm an owner

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 am

I got it on the discount this winter. Now I would get it again at full price if I had to.
So I'm happy and recommend to anyone gamer or not.

My usage - some gaming, some typing
I like to browse web and navigate my OS using keyboard a lot

You described well the advantages.

Compact - fits on desk, quite "mobile"
Combined numpad/arrow keys - I immediately grew attached to them. I used arrows, sixblock and numpad a lot previously. No problem to use this combined block now.
Solid - sturdy and heavy, nice grip pads.
Key response - not a guru in this field. But typing is nice and comfortable. Definitely comparable with best regular keyboards I had. Keys sound quiet, no rattle no click.
Badass looks - definitely a plus. The shape and styling with blue lights; looks great next to my Deathadder mouse.
Special keys - corner Esc is very good, narrow clicky F-keys quite usable. But for 3 clicky thumb keys and 2 additional ones near arrows I found no use.
Gaming - quite happy. Mostly because it doesn't get in the way, works as supposed to, doesnt slide on desk.

Problems
No scroll lock led - weird way to save money?
From extensive WASD gaming W letter starts to wear off - expected better from gaming keyboard.
Very minor, but the bumps on the F and J keys are hard to find with fingers because the characters on keys are a bit raised too.

And this is it. Feel free to ask anything more

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks alecmg, that list addresses all the main issues I have - especially the one regarding the combined numpad arrangement.

Those downsides you mention are ones reviews usually can't find or predict - they only manifest in long-term use - and that's why it's important to hear from owners. I'm surprised, too, by symbols wearing out on a 70 euro keyboard, that's almost unacceptable! At least the G15's were "carved" in so the light could shine through, no chance of wearing out.

Here's an additional question: do you find the keys to "wiggle" or move around if you move your finger while it's on the key? I found this very annoying on the G15, and the CC2k has it on some keys like space bar.

I got recommended the Microsoft SW X4 and Reclusa by friends, but the Reclusa is too big and shaped funny, and the X4 has a lot of backlight bleed from what I understand. The numpad may be detachable on the X4, but it's not a quality product compared to Razer stuff, as seen in the picture (I also own the Deathadder!).

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Here's an additional question: do you find the keys to "wiggle" or move around if you move your finger while it's on the key?
Yes there is some wiggle on keys, but at least they dont rattle, don't move when you shake the keyboard.

They symbols appear to be glued on. W key is one getting the most burn, but the rest look like new.
The "problems" I mention are really minor for me tho.

I don't look at the keyboard so backlight is not important. Working on the PC in darkness is taboo for me - eyes go down very fast.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Alright, thanks. Minimal wiggle and no rattle is good enough, especially since the space bar is smaller on that keyboard than on my current one.

Seems to be the trend to just use stickers for symbols these days. I've got an old Logitech Internet Navigator where the symbols have either been etched or printed deep in the key - did not fade in 6 years during LAN parties. They don't make them like they used to! :?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:36 am

Today my Arvo arrived. I'll briefly address the questions I personally had about this product.

Is this a good keyboard for silence? No it is not - think of the old IBM spring-loaded clatter (if you're old enough to remember, otherwise just rest assured it is loud).

Is this a good keyboard for typing and gaming? Definitely. The keys are sturdy and the response is immediate. They follow your fingertips exactly. There is no extra leeway or give, and the overall impression is that of sturdy precision. This is an awesome tool.

If you have doubts about the compact layout, don't worry - it's only a problem if you constantly use the Numpad. The arrow keys and "sixpack" are right where they should be, and as long as you don't think anything is odd about the keyboard, your fingers will instinctively find them.

Only downside to this keyboard in addition to the noise is the lack of media keys (easily circumvented) and the fact that even though you pay for premium, the symbols are still just stickers on the keys and may wear off.

All in all, I am very pleased with my new tool. The desk now has more space than ever, and I fully enjoy typing again and don't have to blame the keyboard if something goes wrong while gaming. 8)

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Congrats on the purchase

Tell me if you find use for thumb keys

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Cheers! 8)

I had some uses in mind before I even realized the keyboard comes with macro keys. Here's what I use:
1 - "y g g Enter" = chat all: gg
2 - "Enter" = useful to have Enter handy for left hand, e.g. Layout Selection in BC2, works as "OK" in most other uses
3 - "p" = game-specific macro
4 - Play/Pause
5 - Next Song

If I still played WoW or other key-intensive games, I would probably have more complex macros.