silent video projector?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JaRoD

silent video projector?

Post by JaRoD » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 am

Anyone here know of any silent videoprojectors? Seems like most people on other forums just say to turn up the audio more to drown out the projector... Not a solution IMO. Some years ago I got a benq mp730 that was rated at 30db and that turned out to be loud enough that I only used it for 40 hours before my ears couldn't take it anymore :?

Seems like in general silent ones today are rated at around 26db unless one is willing to pay alot of money. Then again I don't trust those raitings since I read a review of a projector that was specced at 22db and they said it was loud compared to others. So, I'd like cheap fullhd projector that's completely noiseless to go please :roll:

I currently have an antec p180 mini with the bigboy fan running at low and that's about what I can handle noisewise

Greatful for any answers, even if it's "nope sorry, doesn't exist" because then I can file it with all the other ideas that break the laws of physics or similar :lol:

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 pm

I don't have much advice... I'm looking for the same thing. I have an Optoma H27 that is ok... I usually don't notice it when I'm watching something. But when I have the audio on mute, I notice it's louder than I would like, I can hear it from the next room.

I keep hoping the newer LED-powered ones will be quieter, but so far they are not bright enough and are actually loud because they put them in tiny enclosures so they have to use small, whiny fans.

I think LCD versions might be quieter because they don't have the color wheel like DLP does, but I don't really know. I tend to prefer the DLP tech anyway. Would love to find a store where I could listen to a bunch of these side by side...

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 pm

It's probably difficult to make a home video projector that's 'silent', since they can draw up to a few hundred watts when in use, and have to keep their lamp at a reasonable temperature. Maybe it would be possible to mod an existing projector by replacing the fans and improving airflow, though you might run the risk of shortening lamp life or having it burst into a ball of flame if not done correctly. I imagine there must be quieter projectors, but it seems like something that would be difficult to ascertain from most reviews.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:18 am

I've been thinking that a "hush box" might work decently well but I don't really know how well. If you don't know what that is, it's really simple.

1. build box
2. put projector inside box
3. mount large silent fan to cool projector in box
:wink:

Since new projectors tend to have small fans they most likely make noise that's so high up in freqency that it should be somewhat easy to damp it.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:33 am

Read reviews? I bought Sanyo PLV-Z2000 two years back based on reviews that said it was the quietest projector on "silent" setting, was offered with $600 rebate making it the cheapest 1080p LCD projector, and at the same time had a picture comparable to much more expensive projectors.

So far I'm completely satisfied with it, it's sitting "inside" a coffee table in the middle of the room, I always run it in "silent" mode. It's definitely not silent, I can hear it when there is nothing playing, but I do not have to crank up the movie volume to drown it out, in fact even normal human voice will easily be way louder than the fan noise, the only time I notice it's on is when there is nothing playing or there is extended silent scene in the movie.

From what I remember reading reviews two years back when I was shopping for a projector, in general DLP projectors will be way louder than LCD ones, and according to reviews Epson projectors while nice are also typically louder than average, however projector scene is evolving at a breathtaking pace. Just 5 years ago 1080p projector was out of reach for just about everybody where you either had to settle for subpar picture of pay through your nose to get decent quality, now you can easily pick one up at less than $2K and get a great picture too.

Sanyo came out with newer model PLV-Z4000, maybe you could check it out. It's sold for less than $2K and reviews seem good. It has good warranty and given past Sanyo projectors it is also going to be quiet. However, like I said, read reviews, it's possible you find something better to your liking.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 am

I do Audio/Video for a living. There is no such thing, currently, as a silent projector, for the lamp temp and life issues already presented here.

I will second the recommendation for Sanyo projectors - they are the manufacturer of record for Christie and Eiki, don't pay more for the brand name.

Certian Sanyo "Boardroom" projectors (which doesn't mean what it sounds like) used to have upgradeable air filter systems that will allow the fan to run in a "low noise" setting without hurting lamp life. These systems are sometimes referred to as "museum filters" or "22 hour" filters meaning they are suitable for museum installations (without deafening the museum visitors) and/or allow for 22 continuous hours of projector usage without requiring a lamp cool down cycle. I don't know if these are still available.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 am

That sanyo PLV-Z4000 does seems like it would be silent enough. Only problem is that the cheapest I found it here was about 2100 euros so a bit much. But I'll have a look at their other models and see what I can find. Thanks for mentioning sanyo :D I didn't even know about them since where I live it's most acer, benq and epson that I hear about.

And I usually don't trust the reviews about noise since most people aren't bothered about noise. That's why I asked here where it's all about the noise :roll:

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:57 pm

JaRoD wrote:That sanyo PLV-Z4000 does seems like it would be silent enough.
That's an interesting projector. Has an excellent range of lense shift and an amazing throw ratio. With these adjustments it does NOT offer a digital keystone - it's intended to be permanently and professionally mounted in a home theater.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:44 am

JaRoD wrote:That sanyo PLV-Z4000 does seems like it would be silent enough. Only problem is that the cheapest I found it here was about 2100 euros so a bit much. But I'll have a look at their other models and see what I can find. Thanks for mentioning sanyo :D I didn't even know about them since where I live it's most acer, benq and epson that I hear about.

And I usually don't trust the reviews about noise since most people aren't bothered about noise. That's why I asked here where it's all about the noise :roll:
Yes, you cannot trust subjective impressions about the noise, but if reviews say it's the quietest projector they've ever reviewed and you're set on buying projector, well, that's the one you're going to get.

I didn't realize Sanyo's cost so much in Europe. If PLV-Z4000 is too expensive, try looking for Panasonic PT-AE4000U, see if you can get it at a reasonable price. There is also dated Sanyo PLV-Z700, which was released soon after PLV-Z2000 and was intended as a budget 1080p projector. From what I remember it had lesser picture quality two years back when it was released and projectors made a lot of advance in the last two years, so given that PLV-Z700 is still being sold at almost the same price as when it first came out, I would probably recommend against it. However, it is an option.

Most important thing, like I said, read reviews. I haven't kept up to date with newest projectors since I bought mine (no point in wasting time reading reviews for a thing I'm not buying, and I'd get a major "new toy" envy :D ). So my knowledge about current projectors is a tad dated. Read reviews, read comparisons, read AVS forums, do your research.