Suggestions for prebuilt quiet quad core PC?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

metron

Suggestions for prebuilt quiet quad core PC?

Post by metron » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 am

Do any of the big brands offer a reasonably quiet build? It doesn't have to be silent.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:57 am

I would visit a store like Best Buy that sells computers and judge for yourself.

Personally, I would probably go for an HP with AMD quad core (p6550z series). Worst case is that you might want to replace the CPU heatsink and fan, but I think most people will find the stock system quiet enough. You can order HP online and customize them to a large degree. They also make very good monitors in my opinion. I know Costco also sells them in store or online.

metron

Post by metron » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Maybe its the ambient noise levels but I wasn't able to tell how much noise the PCs were making in the stores. Too bad the reviews don't include a db figure.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:05 pm

metron wrote:Maybe its the ambient noise levels but I wasn't able to tell how much noise the PCs were making in the stores. Too bad the reviews don't include a db figure.
that's always the problem w/ assessing noise in stores. as for the reviews, the ones that do system hardly even mention noise unless it's deafening.

hp and dell both measure their system noise, using iso7779 standards, and bury them somewhere deep in their sites.

dell -- http://www.dell.com/regulatory_compliance_datasheets

Check the "Sound Pressure Operator Position" for the spec closest to SPCR measurements; we do small systems at the same ~0.6m distance, but 1m for bigger systems designed for floor placement. The spl difference is less than 3 dba; more like 2 most of the time.

not sure where hp keeps them anymore, i think they're available somewhere; you might have to contact them.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:27 pm

I purchased an HP system at Costco for a relative a couple of years ago. In their home it was surprising quiet (like in the store). The only problem I have with Dell is that they tend to use proprietary parts more often, so it can be hell replacing a PSU or fan sometimes. But my information on HP about parts and quietness is several years old. I just think that if there is a problem (even if a few years down the road), it might be easier to fix on a AMD quad-core in an HP system (such as new heatsink and fan).