What's up with the Swedish fish?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

NeilBlanchard

What's up with the Swedish fish?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:22 pm

I don't geddit...

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Cool, where did you get that? Are the different from the ones that have U.S.A. on them?

/ d, close to a Swedish fish pond

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:08 am

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:35 am

For a true sammich, that rabbit needs another pancake.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:55 am

Or just throw it in the oven with some mushrooms and cream, or plums and wine, and you'll have an upside down rabbit (pan) cake :)

What are those fish anyways ? Gummy bears proud of their countries wanting to be fish ?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:20 am

Are none of you seeing that Swedish fish in some of the ads here on SPCR? It's a plain ad with no text, and no discernible reason/product being advertised?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 am

Nope : amazon, Antec, HP, endpcnoise, the usual

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 am

I am a fan of Swedish Fish. I dont get them around near me at all. Yum. Much different than a gummy bear.

I havent seen any ads for swedish fish on here. I think I would have clicked that. hm.

wheres a good candy store hm

andymcca

hmm

Post by andymcca » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 am

I saw billboard in cambridge MA which I have been unable to understand:

On a field of white, 10+ swedish fish are positioned facing the center of the billboard. In the center, the words "AN UNFORTUNATE AFFECTION".

I'm not sure why swedish fish are suddenly part of an ad campaign. That's like advertising gummy-bears or marshmallows.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:49 am

What?

I duno what you are talking about. Who keeps seeing swedish fish??

confused.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:14 am

Don't know anything about Swedish fish, but we LOVE our Swedish dishwasher and our Volvos.

If the fish are of as high a quality as Asko appliances and Volvo cars, I'll try some. Where do you get them in Florida?

cottageaurora

swedish fish

Post by cottageaurora » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:03 pm

I have been puzzled by that billboard for weeks now. so glad someone else is, too
how can we find out what it is all about?

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:59 pm

You can find these here in Sweden, they're delicious!

/d

PS Jelly rats

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:43 pm

The image I posted at the beginning of this thread is all you seen and all you get when you click on it... My wife informs me that I *should* know about Swedish fish; but I am ignorant of them. Nor do I really care.

It 's an odd advertisement if it only works for people who already know about them? :roll:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm

OMGOSH

swedish fish = rocks the candy party

If you ever liked a jelly bean or a gummi bear, you'll enjoy a swedish fish. Interesting to note that they do not use Gelatin. Makes them different.

uh oh and yeah you can do this:

and stuff

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The image I posted at the beginning of this thread is all you seen and all you get when you click on it... My wife informs me that I *should* know about Swedish fish; but I am ignorant of them. Nor do I really care.

It 's an odd advertisement if it only works for people who already know about them? :roll:
Don't feel bad Neil, I live in Sweden and I still don't have a clue about this advertising or what it's about :lol:

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:24 am

Redzo wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:The image I posted at the beginning of this thread is all you seen and all you get when you click on it... My wife informs me that I *should* know about Swedish fish; but I am ignorant of them. Nor do I really care.

Don't feel bad Neil, I live in Sweden and I still don't have a clue about this advertising or what it's about :lol:
Come on, you gotta know about Malaco's fish? There is even a special for 'em at IKEA! (For some odd reason!)

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:33 am

now I had that "AHA" moment :lol:

it's just that i really don eat candy, i dont like it so much.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I am a fan of Swedish Fish. I dont get them around near me at all. Yum. Much different than a gummy bear.

I havent seen any ads for swedish fish on here. I think I would have clicked that. hm.

Yesterday afternoon, my daughter who works in a Factory Card and Party Outlet (FCO) store saw this thread over my shoulder. She says that FCO carries them. In fact she was eating some yesterday morning. Also, Party City (PC) stores have bought FCO, and are in the process of changing the FCO stores over to PC. As the merchandise has started changing at her FCO, they simply changed the type of selection of Swedish fish they carry, but still carry them.

So, search for a FCO or Party City near where you are, and you should have a local supply of Swedish fish.

She was sufficiently intrigued by the Jelly Rats that I think she will talk to the General Manager of the store, and maybe the District Manager and see if they might try carrying them too.

andymcca

Re: swedish fish

Post by andymcca » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:32 am

cottageaurora wrote:I have been puzzled by that billboard for weeks now. so glad someone else is, too
how can we find out what it is all about?
I'm not sure we ever will. :(

Positing theories was fun for an hour or two, though. My #1 choice was a non-english-speaking ad agency.

cottageaurora

update:

Post by cottageaurora » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 pm

now they have painted swedish fish at the Harvard Square T stop. it was not quite finished when I had to leave Cambridge, but it sure doesn't seem like an ad to eat the candy.............

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm

N7SC wrote:
~El~Jefe~ wrote:I am a fan of Swedish Fish. I dont get them around near me at all. Yum. Much different than a gummy bear.

Yesterday afternoon, my daughter who works in a Factory Card and Party Outlet (FCO) store saw this thread over my shoulder. She says that FCO carries them. In fact she was eating some yesterday morning. Also, Party City (PC) stores have bought FCO, and are in the process of changing the FCO stores over to PC. As the merchandise has started changing at her FCO, they simply changed the type of selection of Swedish fish they carry, but still carry them.

So, search for a FCO or Party City near where you are, and you should have a local supply of Swedish fish.

She was sufficiently intrigued by the Jelly Rats that I think she will talk to the General Manager of the store, and maybe the District Manager and see if they might try carrying them too.
yeah we have party city. I didnt know they had candy!? Nice :)

The rats, I am not too sure about. I know for 100% certain I have never seen the mult-flavored Swedish Fish anywhere. I also like those fake raspberry gumdrop things that have two consistencies. Those are easier to find though.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

I thought it was something new..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish

andymcca

Re: update:

Post by andymcca » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 pm

cottageaurora wrote:now they have painted swedish fish at the Harvard Square T stop. it was not quite finished when I had to leave Cambridge, but it sure doesn't seem like an ad to eat the candy.............
I will travel down there this Thursday to check it out. Where is it, exactly? On the sidewalk?
~El~Jefe~ wrote:The rats, I am not too sure about. I know for 100% certain I have never seen the mult-flavored Swedish Fish anywhere. I also like those fake raspberry gumdrop things that have two consistencies. Those are easier to find though.
I had the multi-flavor fish several times, and I must say you've missed nothing. The red ones are the best ones by far. The others are just stale jellies (IMO). I've never seen these raspberry candies you speak of, though. What are they marketed as? Swedish Raspberries?
Mats wrote:I thought it was something new..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish
Are you sure you are Swedish? Because I thought Swedish fish were your primary export! (Joke, seriously. I was never quiet sure if calling them Swedish was some marketing ploy. Thank FSM for Wikipedia :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 pm

they arent called swedish at that point, but they are good! Harder on outside, and Swedish Fish like inside.