Thermalright HR02 is not compatible with Antec Solo on P35

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

netmask254

Thermalright HR02 is not compatible with Antec Solo on P35

Post by netmask254 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Note that the compatibility varies on different platforms and motherboards.

For my case (Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3), the measured distance between CPU center and motherboard's edge is ~6.4cm, meanwhile HR02 is 14cm wide. It means there is some extension (~0.5cm) outside the motherboard. I hesitate Thermalright is breaking some ATX standard in order to host a 14cm fan.

Solo has a very tight internal space, and there is almost no extra space between PSU and motherboard. What's worse, there is an extra iron part (highlighted with blue arrow) under PSU, it blocks HR02 which is very close to the rear case fan. See below picture:

HR02's dimension:

kater

Post by kater » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Hmm, that would suck as this kind of setup is pretty popular. Tho I'm sure not all 775 mobos have the CPU socket in the same place.

I'm just not sure if you've just calculated that or actually tested real life?

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:04 pm

kater wrote:Hmm, that would suck as this kind of setup is pretty popular. Tho I'm sure not all 775 mobos have the CPU socket in the same place.

I'm just not sure if you've just calculated that or actually tested real life?
I bought one then need to sell it to someone else :(

sub

Post by sub » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 am

hi,

AmonRaa had one with a p5q pro in his solo, he has to remove the horizontal bar next to the cpu.

I've done it a long time ago on my solo, it's very easy.

AmonRaa

Post by AmonRaa » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 am

Yes, i removed that PSU bar that you're pointing at and all works well.

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 am

AmonRaa, you are doing an amazing work, a single fan yet powerful system. That's exactly what I was going to do (until I met HR02 compatibility issue), though I will stick to use at least 800rpm rear fan :-) I suggest you organize your configuration & temperature test well, together with some pictures, it will be a very valuable thread for Solo users.

Regarding cut off the PSU bar, personally I quite dislike modding due to terrible mod skills, also because the modded configuration is not easy for the others to follow up (I assume half guys are lazy man just like me). Now I'm still using the old HR01 PLUS, together with an additional 600rpm CPU fan.

However, I was suffering the air resonance problem, i.e. the system noise is much larger after the side panel closed, comparing with opening the side panel. This is discussed in another mail thread (viewtopic.php?t=60171), could you help check whether the similar thing exists in your system? If so, how would you solve it? Thanks a lot!

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:32 am

sub wrote:hi,

AmonRaa had one with a p5q pro in his solo, he has to remove the horizontal bar next to the cpu.

I've done it a long time ago on my solo, it's very easy.
Hmm, you mentioned it's very easy, could you share how to do that? I'm sorry I'm not good at cut something :oops:

sub

Post by sub » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:02 am

Removing A Rivet

Because pop rivets are made from soft metal, they are very easy to remove with a drill.
Take a drill bit very slightly larger than the original rivet hole. 4mm rivet = 5mm drill bit.

Place the drill onto the head of the rivet.

Drill fast but with very little pressure, the drill will make quick work of the soft rivet.

The idea isn't to drill the rivet out, but to sever the head from the body.
This causes the rivet to fall in half so the joint is broken.

:wink:

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:07 am

I'd like to say, it's a bit challenging to me :shock: But thank you all the same.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 am

I also want to repeat that not all sockets are in the same place, so while this may be an issue for a number of motherboards, I doubt it will affect everyone. I know it's a tight squeeze for my to fit a Scythe Ninja in my Cooler Master case, but that's because the socket is placed pretty high up on the motherboard. If the socket was even just mm's offset in any direction, it would affect what coolers could fit.

I don't think this is an issue with anyone breaking an ATX standard to fit 140mm fans, because there's no standard for socket placement.