"best" temp monitoring software

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

perry59

"best" temp monitoring software

Post by perry59 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 am

Is there a "best" or most recommended software for monitoring temps?
This is for a windows based pc. I ask becasue in my box is an Asus mobo, hence it came with its "AI suite" with fan control/temp monitoring. I wanted a desktop "gadget" that I could just leave on to watch temps but also be small and inconspicuous. So I tried a proggy called "core temp", its a nice little desktop gadget that shows just what I want to see. Im pretty suspicious of it though. If I run it AND run the Asus app, core temp is showing temps consistently about 12C higher that what Asus is. Thats a pretty big difference! I tend to think that Asus is more accurate, but now Im just not sure what the temps are.
Are there any recommendations?
speedfan?
any good ones that also provide a desktop "gadget"?
Thanks for any tips

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:32 pm

I use HWMonitor from CPUID. The basic version is a free download from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. There is a pay for Pro version which adds PWM fan speed control amongst other things.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:24 am

I like http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ . Same interface as HWMonitor, but it's free. Can setup temp indicators for the task bar, as well as configure a little Win7 gadget. Considering it's still in beta, it's very neat, and has made its way onto my thumbdrive for PC fixin' :).

Modo

Post by Modo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 am

That open source app looks nice. It will be great when they add fan controls.

SpeedFan works fine unless you need the temperatures of an ATI graphics card. The author has been dragging his feet for years on support for their sensors.

perry59

Post by perry59 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:25 am

Doesnt look like there are many choices :(
Guess I'll try speedfan, too bad it doesnt have a "gadget".
I will check out the openhardware thing too.
BTW, if I use one of these, should I disable all the fan related stuff in BIOS?
thanks

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:05 am

perry59 wrote:if I use one of these, should I disable all the fan related stuff in BIOS?

Talking about SpeedFan, no: but you might have to set them properly/accordingly.

colm

Post by colm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:40 am

mbm5

no fan throttling.
speed fan is good for that..

mbm5 has an alarm, records highs and lows

no interference, and can registry start. speedfan does have a goof in registry starting.

using the startup folder is like a secuirty gap and it hacks itself... this goes back to 1998 BTW...

I wish someone would evolve. My 875 aint going nowhere.

cmthomson

Re: "best" temp monitoring software

Post by cmthomson » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Speedfan is the best freeware. If you're willing to pay a few bucks, Everest Ultimate is excellent and updated more frequently.

JennySil

Post by JennySil » Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 am

perry59 wrote:Is there a "best" or most recommended software for monitoring temps?
This is for a windows based pc. I ask becasue in my box is an Asus mobo, hence it came with its "AI suite" with fan control/temp monitoring. I wanted a desktop "gadget" that I could just leave on to watch temps but also be small and inconspicuous. So I tried a proggy called "core temp", its a nice little desktop gadget that shows just what I want to see. Im pretty suspicious of it though. If I run it AND run the Asus app, core temp is showing temps consistently about 12C higher that what Asus is. Thats a pretty big difference! I tend to think that Asus is more accurate, but now Im just not sure what the temps are.
Are there any recommendations?
speedfan?
any good ones that also provide a desktop "gadget"?
Thanks for any tips
SpeedFan and Hmonitor for windows are good. Speedfan monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor circuits. While Hmonitor software can acquire a change in CPU frequency or fan speed.

jjwa

Post by jjwa » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:10 am

I really like Argus Monitor :).
I attached a little screenshot of it's desktop gadget thingy. Ignore the purple edges, they are only in the screenshot...

I have tried others, but there are often many things they do not detect correctly :(. Or sometimes their interface is very bloated or confusing. This is very clear and informative :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.