News: Sandybridge, Bulldozer and UEFI

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

News: Sandybridge, Bulldozer and UEFI

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:57 pm

When I have a >2TB SSD I'll worry about booting from a >2TB drive. :)

Seriously anyone that makes a storage drive their boot drive right now isn't paying attention.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm

dhanson865 wrote:Seriously anyone that makes a storage drive their boot drive right now isn't paying attention.
I agree. Still, iMacs can be configured with a single 2 TB drive, haha.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm more interested in the promised blazing fast boot times of UEFI. Maybe when paired with SSDs I can finally have a machine ready before I'm done scratching my butt. :wink:

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:41 pm

dhanson865 wrote:When I have a >2TB SSD I'll worry about booting from a >2TB drive. :)

Seriously anyone that makes a storage drive their boot drive right now isn't paying attention.
Or, alternatively, they're using a large hardware RAID array which makes an SSD a pointless expense. ;)

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 pm

This, the new Intel SSDs, new AMD CPUs, new Radeons—there's a very interesting synergy of product launches.

andymcca

hmm

Post by andymcca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 am

Monkeh16 wrote:Or, alternatively, they're using a large hardware RAID array which makes an SSD a pointless expense. ;)
Afaik you would need something like a 6+ disk RAID1 array to match the random access times of a good SSD. Talk about a pointless expense :D The SSD is probably the less expensive option if all you care about is boot/load times. (again, afaik)

Oh, and linux software raid ftw!

Metaluna

Re: hmm

Post by Metaluna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 am

andymcca wrote:Afaik you would need something like a 6+ disk RAID1 array to match the random access times of a good SSD. Talk about a pointless expense :D The SSD is probably the less expensive option if all you care about is boot/load times. (again, afaik)

Also, from a system administration point of view, I would think you'd generally want to keep a RAID like that as a separate resource that can be taken offline for maintenance, etc., rather than having the added complication of saddling it with the bootable OS partition.

Monkeh16

Re: hmm

Post by Monkeh16 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:11 pm

andymcca wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:Or, alternatively, they're using a large hardware RAID array which makes an SSD a pointless expense. ;)
Afaik you would need something like a 6+ disk RAID1 array to match the random access times of a good SSD. Talk about a pointless expense :D The SSD is probably the less expensive option if all you care about is boot/load times. (again, afaik)

I know people with 6+ disk RAID5 arrays. Hardware with battery backing and RAM for performance. They make SSDs look like cheap toys, oh, and they store terabytes, not gigabytes. ;)

And yeah, software RAID is great.. Except it doesn't scale all that effectively to large arrays. A hardware controller is a much more effective option for arrays containing more than a handful of drives.