News: 80+ Fakes; Gigabyte in Tibet

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

News: 80+ Fakes; Gigabyte in Tibet

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 am

http://www.silentpcreview.com/80_Plus_F ... e_in_Tibet

Goodbye Dalai Lama, Hello Gigabyte?
Last edited by MikeC on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:03 am

So all my Seasonic certified PSUs are fakes? Who knew?!?

Seasonic isn't on those lists, that I can see - does that mean none of them have ever passed any tests?? Seems unlikely.

EDIT: Sorry - I was looking for "Seasonic" and they have it as "Sea Sonic".

- Tim
Last edited by tbessie on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

hmmmm... dunno which list you were looking at, but Seasonic has had their entire line 80+ approved for several years.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_deta ... =60&type=2

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 am

I remember early on in the 80plus thing, there was a PSU on Newegg that said it was 80plus. I don't remember the brand or anything but it looked like a crap PSU with some bling as it's only selling point. Dead giveaway was that it had the 120/240V switch on it meaning it wasn't APFC which is required for 80plus. I think the company did have a PSU on the 80plus list but not this model. I sent a note to Newegg but they said they just report the specs per what the manufacturer states. It was on there for a while and I think got some bad reviews.

andymcca

hmmm

Post by andymcca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 am

I suppose it should be easier to achieve void-less solder joints at high altitudes :)

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:11 am

Oh wow, I didn't know 80PLUS posts a report of all the PSU's they test. Pretty cool. But I mean, you look at the list of offenders, and it's not too surprising, most of those look like YumCha brands. I doubt a brand like Seasonic would do such a stupid thing, especially when they make good PSU's anyway.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:37 pm

MikeC wrote:hmmmm... dunno which list you were looking at, but Seasonic has had their entire line 80+ approved for several years.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_deta ... =60&type=2
Sorry - I was looking for "Seasonic" and they have it as "Sea Sonic". :-)

- Tim

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:19 pm

You really should change the article header, it seems to associate Gigabyte and fake 80+ certifications.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 am

Tim: Maybe you should edit your first post to clarify there already that it was bogus. I was totally wtfed when I first opened this thread and Seasonic has a high reputation to me.

Also what previous poster said about Gigabyte.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:11 am

lm wrote:Tim: Maybe you should edit your first post to clarify there already that it was bogus. I was totally wtfed when I first opened this thread and Seasonic has a high reputation to me..
Sure - done.

- Tim

colm

Post by colm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:46 pm

tbessie wrote:So all my Seasonic certified PSUs are fakes? Who knew?!?

Seasonic isn't on those lists, that I can see - does that mean none of them have ever passed any tests?? Seems unlikely.

EDIT: Sorry - I was looking for "Seasonic" and they have it as "Sea Sonic".

- Tim
that would get many brands thinking, like antec with the earthwatts series.
I posted my go with one of the standard 80+ 380watt and a severe error.

giving up the warranty to stop a potential hazard, fixing it myself.... I did have a first edition, things change right? :roll:

Danelaw

Re: News: 80+ Fakes; Gigabyte in Tibet

Post by Danelaw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:50 pm

“The new Gigabyte center is a telling sign of how much Tibet has been drawn into China, achieved mostly by Chinese resettlement encouraged by offical government policy since 1992.”

You mean how mutch Tibet has been forced into submission, in the Chinese governments efforts to create more "lebensraum", pushing out local Tibetans, and subduing their most basic human rights.

Resettlement? If by that you mean occupation, suppression at gun point,since 1951 and huge tax cuts for han Chinese, in order for them to breed out the Tibetans from their own land. Ohh and the destruction of 6000 monasteries and major cultural sites during the so called “cultural revolution”
Their actions are indeed telling..

Shame on you Mr. Chin, for your masterace mentality.

Most Tibetans would most likely prefer to be without the “progress” of the people’s” liberation” army. Funny that it only liberates Han-Chinese.

You are indeed a telling sign of how nationalistic Han imperialist propaganda ruins humans ability for compassion, and reason.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Funny, the first person to get some inkling of what this post was really about interprets it exactly the opposite of the way it was intended. :roll: It was meant to be an underhanded commentary. If you'd read the Gigabyte press release, Danelaw , you might understand that I was trying to bring attention to Tibet's plight... w/o shooting down Gigabyte, who is in essence, just responding to market demand. Do you think I was being anything but tongue in cheek when I wrote, "
Goodbye Dalai Lama, Hello Gigabyte?" I am 100% opposed to the continued occupation of Tibet.

SMM

Post by SMM » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:36 pm

My parents were some of the first foreign tourists allowed into Tibet and to the north side of Mount Everest. They saw mounds of rubble that must have been magnificent monasteries.

I fear though, that it will soon be too late for Tibet. Immigration is a very effective way to make an occupation permanent.