Successful phpbb upgrade

Site announcements, news, stuff you should read. Start here.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Successful phpbb upgrade

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 am

The SPCR forum was successfully upgraded yesterday to the latest version of phpbb for improved functionality and security. There was only one downside -- the loss of about a day's worth of posts, for Oct 13. Our sincere apologies for this error. Hopefully, you can go back and repost your most valuable messages. Thanks for your understanding.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Re: Successful phpbb upgrade

Post by rpsgc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 am

Hello Mike. Could we please have the old theme back?

Most people really dislike the new theme.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60306

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:02 am

>>>>MikeC wrote>>>> Hopefully, you can go back and repost your most valuable messages.

I wonder how it might be done...

...anyway entire threads (at least two of them I know) has been completely wiped out, and as I still doesn't receive notify of new posts, I'm not able even to recall their subject.
I guess this aspect also states how my messages were not such valuable ones, but it's a small and cold comfort indeed.

However, I hope your hosting provider may still have a more recent copy of the dB than yours, maybe cast away in some of its network back-ups.

And just FYI, as I run a phpBB as well: IME almost no one read the global announcements (to which no normal user - even me! - should be able to reply), and there are far better themes (which can also be easily modded).

Kind regards,
Luca

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 pm

[quote="rpsgc"]Hello Mike. Could we please have the old theme back?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60306[/quote]
Adding my vote for the old theme. Maybe it can be a user-selectable option?

Edit - is the "quote" function broken? It's just posting the code for quoting without actually formatting as quoted text...

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Jay_S wrote:
rpsgc wrote:Hello Mike. Could we please have the old theme back?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60306

Edit - is the "quote" function broken? It's just posting the code for quoting without actually formatting as quoted text...
It works fine for me. Maybe it's just buggy at the moment,
Last edited by rpsgc on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyJack96

Post by HappyJack96 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:43 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:>>>>MikeC wrote>>>> Hopefully, you can go back and repost your most valuable messages.

I wonder how it might be done...

...anyway entire threads (at least two of them I know) has been completely wiped out, and as I still doesn't receive notify of new posts, I'm not able even to recall their subject
I have a couple of them cached in Firefox right now. Are they collector's items?! :P

@Luca: you replied in both of them--

First draft of specs for a replacement of my quiet computer
Posted by: oston, on: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:33 PM

Building my first silent system
Posted by: timmy96815, on: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:17 PM

Don't know what good this does anyone, but there you go. :)

Russell

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:20 pm

+1 for a nasty case of, ewww yuk, nasty theme (user interface) on the forums.

If the old theme can't be put back, can the colour scheme at least be changed, all of these pastel blues make me feel like I just entered into a gay forum :shock:

Andy

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Must say I too, preferred the old theme. But perhaps we will get used to the new one? I can tell there are some things I DO like. I for one, like the names on the right. I don't care about who posts something until I read the actual post, and my eyes naturally go left first. Some may not like it, I do.

Do wish the background colors were a hint darker in shade, as it feels a bit bright and blinding to me, and perhaps have borders between each post to make the separation of different posts more clear.

Yay for security and features though! SPCR had the previous look for the majority of its existence!

Poor Mike for having to deal with whining every time he changes the look of the site...becoming a tradition here at SPCR :twisted: *pokes Mike*

C'mon guys, still the best forum community around.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:08 am

I dislike this forum layout as well. I run a phpBB3 forum myself and I've set theme subsilver2 as a default. Users can also choose to select prosilver as their preference (which is the current one I believe) if they really want to.

And I also notice some bugs with the tagging. I notice quotes and url tags (might be more) aren't always parsed.

All in all: good choice of moving to phpBB3. You should have less problems with spammers and have some nice extra features.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:15 am

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... _styles-12

Plenty of themes there ;)

Maybe something like Hestia (blue), or Avalon (blue).

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:09 am

rpsgc wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... _styles-12

Plenty of themes there ;)

Maybe something like Hestia (blue), or Avalon (blue).
Oh, man, a plethora of beautiful themes there.

We could all start fighting over which one we liked best.

I liked Hestia (cyan)

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Ok, setting aside the previous style(subsilver2), here's my top 5 list of the styles with the blue-and-white color scheme of SPCR:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:28 pm

as long as we're tinkering... I admit I like the modesty of modestus.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 am

MikeC wrote:as long as we're tinkering...
Does "tinkering" mean that you're definitely planning on adding some alternate themes? If you're wavering, my vote would be "Please add additional themes".

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:49 am

[quote="rpsgc"][quote="Jay_S"][quote="rpsgc"]Hello Mike. Could we please have the old theme back?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60306[/quote]

Edit - is the "quote" function broken? It's just posting the code for quoting without actually formatting as quoted text...[/quote]

It works fine for me. Maybe it's just buggy at the moment,[/quote]

I think BBCpde might be flaky. I can't embed links or quote or do much of anything. This recent thread is full of borked quotes (even though others work !?):
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I do have BBcode enabled in my profile ... something else I might be missing?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 am

We're probably going to offer a user-selection of 2 styles. Want the server load to be minimal for this. Give Richard a few days to sort through this, he does have a full-time day job. And he is also working on a major update to the main site as well.

I'm well aware of the quotes function being inconsistent -- it always works for me and Larry, I see, but not for lots of others. This needs to be examined and corrected.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 am

Having a selection of styles isn't going to increase server load.

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Monkeh16 wrote:Having a selection of styles isn't going to increase server load.
No, but it's generally a bad idea to take down a service when lots of people are using it, if something goes wrong.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 am

[quote="KayDat"][quote="Monkeh16"]Having a selection of styles isn't going to increase server load.[/quote]

No, but it's generally a bad idea to take down a service when lots of people are using it, if something goes wrong.[/quote]
It's also a bad idea to make a transition to new forum software using an out of date copy of the DB, your point?

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey Admins,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked already in another thread, but why did you ditch the page numbers on all new reviews? I liked being able to click to the last page on reviews I wasn't particularly interest in, just to see the result and take a mental note. Now, that would mean clicking though wouldn't it? Or am I overlooking something..?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:00 pm

RoGuE wrote:Hey Admins,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked already in another thread, but why did you ditch the page numbers on all new reviews? I liked being able to click to the last page on reviews I wasn't particularly interest in, just to see the result and take a mental note. Now, that would mean clicking though wouldn't it? Or am I overlooking something..?
We have not touched the main site. Maybe you're referring to the server build article, which was assembled using a different format that allows for every page to have its own title. It's the only article done that way so far. There will be others... but not all.

timbyrd

Post by timbyrd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:08 am

MikeC wrote:We have not touched the main site. Maybe you're referring to the server build article, which was assembled using a different format that allows for every page to have its own title. It's the only article done that way so far. There will be others... but not all.
Could there at least be a dropdown to navigate through the article?

Also, is there a certain time when posting/editing posts will cause the posts to disappear the next day? It feels like I have to post everything at least twice for it to take.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 am

timbyrd wrote:Could there at least be a dropdown to navigate through the article?
We won't spend much time/effort on changes to the main site right now. A major site-wide upgrade is being worked on right now, to be implemented in a few weeks. Everything will be changed then. But a workaround is to click "UP" to get you back to the first page where all the pages in the article are accessible with a single click.
timbyrd wrote:Also, is there a certain time when posting/editing posts will cause the posts to disappear the next day? It feels like I have to post everything at least twice for it to take.
This sounds odd. Hasn't happened to me even once -- at least not since that one lost day last week.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Freeco wrote:And I also notice some bugs with the tagging. I notice quotes and url tags (might be more) aren't always parsed.
Don't know if you've changed some options, but URLs seem to get parsed in the meantime.
I also found why tags didn't get parsed in the signatures. Simple: in the signature options BBCode is disabled by default. You have to uncheck that option. I think that wasn't the case on the previous version. If you want it like that, leave it... if not, I guess there will be some option to enable it for everyone in the administrative section.
Quoting seems to work as well by now :)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:52 am

I thought this new version was supposed to be better at stopping spammers. Spammers everywhere still, as usual.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:26 am

I guess I *hoped* that it would be better -- it may get there, but (some) of those features are not implemented yet, I guess? Please keep reporting posts, and/or posting them here, and we'll slog through the Spam together!

Thanks!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 am

Considering a "report post" button is finally here, I guess can't complain much.

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:57 am

If I'm not mistaken you can tweak the captcha settings further, so recognizing the characters gets more difficult for spambots.
I used to have over 20 new spammers a week on my own small phpBB 2.x forum a couple of years back. Since I switched to v3.0 I think I've only had 10 spam registrations in over 2 years. Granted, my forum isn't that popular (some 250 users) compared to this one :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 am

Freeco wrote:If I'm not mistaken you can tweak the captcha settings further, so recognizing the characters gets more difficult for spambots.
I used to have over 20 new spammers a week on my own small phpBB 2.x forum a couple of years back. Since I switched to v3.0 I think I've only had 10 spam registrations in over 2 years. Granted, my forum isn't that popular (some 250 users) compared to this one :wink:
tweak the captcha settings -- yes. when there's a bit of time. 250 users vs 20,000+.... hmmmm.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:41 pm

If you set your browser to ignore fonts & colors then you'll see the problem.