P182 beat up to all hell... Now what?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

TBSN

P182 beat up to all hell... Now what?

Post by TBSN » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 am

I have had my P182 for a while now, and it's served me well. I have moved with it several times and its pretty messed up now. The front door has broken off. The little fan doors are broken and the clips on one of the side panels are broken. I'm thinking of ordering replacement parts from Antec, but I'm not sure it's the way to go.

If I could fit an ATX into the MiniP180 I would in an instant. But I'm not about to get a new motherboard, at least not until sandybridge :o. So I'm thinking either I get all the parts for this case, get a new (hopefully smaller) case, or get a new P183. The thing is, I love the case, and the way it looks. Its just huge. It would cost me about ~$60 to get the parts and have a "new" P182 again.

So are there any case newcomers that are worth looking at? I've looked at the most popular cases, the ones mentioned in the recommended case article here, and none I like better than the P180 (besides the miniP180 and the SILVERSTONE SG05). Anything else worth looking at? Advice?

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Re: P182 beat up to all hell... Now what?

Post by judge56988 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

makedomend_item027.jpg
Seriously though, you love your case, you could never replace it with something as good for $60 so why not do your bit for the world and fix it!

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:13 pm

judge56988 wrote:Seriously though, you love your case, you could never replace it with something as good for $60 so why not do your bit for the world and fix it!
Exactly what I wanted to say... but your pic said it so much better. :lol:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:05 am

There's just no beating a P182... *cough*

Anyway, if you don't mind the size, I'm pretty confident in saying there's no better case right now. Mine has had the door magnets come out, panels bent, case dropped on its door from a table... nothing a hammer and some krazy glue couldn't fix! This baby's a keeper. 8)

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:23 am

Unfortunately I'm selling my P182 case as it's just too heavy for me to move easily anymore !

As a replacement I've chosen a Lian Li PC-A05NB (light but tall) as well as getting rid of the old heavy components :
Corsair PSU
GrowUp Japan drive box
Samsung 1TB drive

So I'll be going from an ATX with 4x add-in boards to an mITX with none.
Luckily the new case is still tall enough to serve as a stand for the other PC that's in a Lian Li PCQ07 case.

TBSN

Post by TBSN » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 am

judge56988 wrote:
makedomend_item027.jpg
Seriously though, you love your case, you could never replace it with something as good for $60 so why not do your bit for the world and fix it!

Wow, you, sir, are persuasive. As are all of the comments here. I'm going to keep it. Maybe even paint it too if I'm feeling creative.

If it ever becomes worthy I'll post it in the gallery!

UBIK2010

Post by UBIK2010 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Looking forward to picking up my first P182 tomorrow, second hand for 60 bucks also.
Seems to be the case, even with the P183 out there, not bad considering it first came out in 2007. In fact I dont think you can even buy them new anymore , just the P183.

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:35 pm

P182 is nice, but there definitely are improvements in the P183. No fan getting in the way in the bottom chamber, support for CPX power supplies (those two points are arguable though), cut out for CPU backplate, SSD mounting points in the upper drive cage, eSATA instead of Firewire (again, arguable depending on user needs). Really, the only thing I don't like about my P183 is that the front door has ugly cutouts on the right hand side. The essence of the case hasn't really changed since the P180. If you saw a photo of the inside of the case, I think you'd have to have owned one to differentiate between the different revisions.