Why do the French have so many Strikes.?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Big Pimp Daddy

Re: Why do the French have so many Strikes.?

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:how about this freakin internet you are on.

and the fact that europe does not all speak german as their state language.

yeah, america, such a small contributor to the world.

and yes, for the best 70 years, the french are disposable trash. The great one hour of german resistance... oh, I must take a nap, too many baggets and wine, I am too cultured to defend my country.
Well I don't normally respond to trolls, but you are just making it too easy. So. First, research Tim Berners-Lee - creator of the internet, born: London (that's in England), nationality: British.

Second, opinion is divided on whether the allies would have won the war without the US and there is no point arguing about potential outcomes. What is undeniable fact though, is that the Nazis never attempted to introduce German as state language in any country they occupied.

I do not mean to insult - I realise English is your second language - but I'm not entirely clear what your last sentence means, I presume something about the French surrendering to the Nazi invasion in WW2. Again I suggest you do some research into the French resistance and the horrors that were perpetrated upon them and their families by the Nazis during occupation. To suggest that the French simply surrendered and spent the rest of the war sitting about eating baguettes and drinking wine is a gross insult to the brave men and women who died fighting the Nazis.

I know it's terribly trendy to insult the French, even the Simpsons do it, so it must be cool right? but it is also incredibly lazy to viciously slander a whole nation which you clearly know nothing about and have never bothered to visit. It is a tribute to the type of person that frequents SPCR that a topic with such a potentially inflammatory title has taken this long to degrade into lazy stereotyping and racial slurs, but there is always one idiot who ruins it in every community.

HFat

Post by HFat » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:32 am

Not that I disagree about your overall opinion of the troll's post but...
Big Pimp Daddy wrote:Second, opinion is divided on whether the allies would have won the war without the US and there is no point arguing about potential outcomes. What is undeniable fact though, is that the Nazis never attempted to introduce German as state language in any country they occupied.
Whoever argues that the war could have been won without US help? Without GIs on the frontline possibly maybe...
Germany introduced German as a state language in aeras of Czechoslovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Belgium, France, Yugoslavia, Luxembourg and Italy (there might be a mistake in that list).
Big Pimp Daddy wrote:To suggest that the French simply surrendered and spent the rest of the war sitting about eating baguettes and drinking wine is a gross insult to the brave men and women who died fighting the Nazis.
Some of the people who died fighting Germany said things not entierly dissimilar. There are some who died fighting for the Nazis as well, you know.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:40 am

Well, this thread is starting to go in a great direction!

I highly suggest knocking off the snide comments if you don't want this thread locked/deleted....

Feel free to have more of a go at Justin Beiber though, you get a free pass from me. :)

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Feel free to have more of a go at Justin Beiber though, you get a free pass from me. :)
Don't tempt me! I could spend hours slating that no-talent walking advert for abortion. Despite your promise of a free pass, the level of vitriol I would produce would probably get SPCR shut down for "inflaming public decency" or similar.

I shall limit myself to posting this video of Justin Beiber (attempting to) rap. **WARNING** If you appreciate hip hop music at all, watching this will make you want to eat your own soul just so you can crap it out.

You have been warned...

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:12 am

Big Pimp Daddy wrote:First, research Tim Berners-Lee - creator of the internet, born: London (that's in England), nationality: British.
[pedant] Tim Berners-Lee is usually credited with inventing the World Wide Web, which is not quite the same thing, although it's arguably what most people mean by "the Internet" nowadays.

It's almost impossible to give any single nation or person full credit for actually "inventing the Internet", it just sort of, well, evolved... I guess Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn (who invented the TCP protocol) have as good a claim as any, but it seems even they are reluctant to take the credit for themselves. [/pedant]

Agree entirely with the rest of your post.

flapane

Post by flapane » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:29 am

andyb wrote:This question would ideally be answered by a Frenchman.

In England whenever we turn on the news and see that there is a massive strike going on in France, we usually ask only 2 questions, "will it affect us" (like many of them do, on purpose I might add), and "why".

Most of us dont really care why, its just something to know when someone says "I hear the french are on Strike again, and idea why, I didnt bother to find out. In the UK, we have strikes, but the French have huge, enormous strikes, and seemingly very often, can anyone tell me why strikes are so common in France.?
If we try to do a historical comparison, we'll see that it's the country of the French Revolution, the country where the May 1968 events started, a country that has a huge national pride.
The strike wasn't really a big surprise, it was just the logical (and right) consequence. In the same way they protested when Sarkozy tried to candidate his son, and in a lot of other various situations.
Some countries (including Italy) should learn something from that.

Anyway I've seen that the students have done a huge riot in London, after Cameron tried to raise (3x !!) the tuition fees. In these tough times, I'd expect the protests and riots to dramatically increase.

edit
~El~Jefe~, I'll never understand whether you're a troll or not... will you ever write a constructive post?

HFat: I don't think that they introduced german language in Italy at all, or at least, I've never heard anything about it, but it would be interesting to do further a research. The nazis learned italian in order to communicate with fascists and citizens, as shown in neoralist movies, too.