Afterburner: fan control does not work automatically

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

guermantes

Afterburner: fan control does not work automatically

Post by guermantes » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:58 am

Hi,

In MSI Afterburner 2.0.0, I have created a profile that turns off the GPU fans completely until 50 degrees Celsius, higher than which it turns them on.
I set Afterburner to start minimized at Windows boot, and for a few days everything was all and well. As I booted into Windows 7 the GPU fans would shut down and noise levels would be acceptable.

But since yesterday, this does not work anymore. The fans do go down to zero for a few seconds but then they speed up to the default 74%. The Catalyst control center's overdrive setting is not activated. There is something else during startup that turns on the fans again. Or turns off Afterburner's fan control.

It does not appear to me that settings stick anymore in between sessions of Afterburner.

The profile itself is ok. The typical case after a cold boot is that after the Windows Welcome screen the fans shut off for a few seconds and then they turn on again. Afterburner is running in the system. When I bring the window to display, it shows the green highlight around fan control and to signify that User define" is turned on. The button itself is also highlighted. So the profile should be at work, but it is not. If I click the user define once the highlights disappear and nothing happens (logical since that signifies that the profiles should not be active). If I click once again the fans shut down as the profile is applied.

So there is nothing wrong with the profile, but something cancels it out during boot sequence.

Has anyone experienced this before?

This only happens in Win7 64-bit, and the really weird thing is that in the dual booting Win7 32-bit I do not have this problem. I have tried running it in XP compatibility mode and as administrator as well but to no avail.

What can I do? Please, The card is so noisy without being turned off so I need this to work.

Thanks for any ideas!

Tetreb

Re: Afterburner: fan control does not work automatically

Post by Tetreb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:55 am

I got that too, it seems CCC overwrites the speed at boot. If I open the settings in Afterburner and click OK, the fan speed works like I set it up again (until I reboot).

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Might have something to do with the order programs are loaded. Maybe Afterburner is being loaded faster than CCC, so Catalyst overrides the Afterburner settings. BTW, how are you starting Afterburner? Via the built in setting, Start menu/startup, or task scheduler?

guermantes

Post by guermantes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:00 am

I use the software's function to start at boot. This creates a Task Scheduler event and I managed to get around the problem by choosing the event and adding a 30 seconds delay to it. Maybe for the next driver update I should skip the CCC entirely, I don't really see why I need it. I have a hardware calibrator for my monitor and games usually do a good job at setting antialias etc. Why would I want to do that in CCC??