Another year, another... Machine? ... But not very silent

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kate

Another year, another... Machine? ... But not very silent

Post by Kate » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Dear Forum users,

I am putting together a brand new machine, however I will have a bad time trying to silence it!
Just so I can share with you, here is what I bought...

- Evga X58 Classified 4-way SLI (e762);
- Intel Core I7 950;
- 6 GB - Corsair DDR3 Dominator GT 1866Mhz (not arrived yet);
- Western Digital 1tb Sata HD - 64mb cache;
- LG Bluray Reader/Recorder;
- Pioneer DVD Writer DVD-218L;
- 3 Evga GTX 470 (only 2 arrived);
- Enermax 1000w PSU - SST-ST1000W;
- TWO Swiftech MCP-350 pumps;
- XSPC double Reservoir for dual pumps;
- 1 Swiftech Triple Radiator;
- 1 Swiftech Double Radiator (not arrived yet);
- EK x58 (full solution) waterblock;
- Koolance CPU 360 Waterblock;
- 3 Bitspower Waterblock for GTX 470 (only 1 arrived);
- Tygon Tubing;
- Thermaltake Armor + Case (yeah its bad, but only a few cases can support the EVGA 762).
- Nexus and Noctua Fans (from an earlier build).
- Logitech G19 Keyboard;
- Logitech G13 Gamepad;
- Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse;
- 3 Samsung T220 monitors (from ealier build).

Pictures? Well....

Bench test:

The monitors, keyboard, gamepad and mouse are waiting to be used:

Looks like things work pretty well, Im finishing my build, hiding cables, and doing my best to reduce noise but...

CAN THIS COMPUTER BE SILENCED?

Thank you!

lb_felipe

Re: Another year, another... Machine? ... But not very silen

Post by lb_felipe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Dear Kate,

that building looks very performer, but i believe that be loud.

As sources of noise are fans (including of PSU), HDDs and pump - I do not know if water flow makes noise, do it make? - just use quiet fans and pray for pump to be quiet. lol Quiet HDDs and quiet PSU are easier to find.

Now I let that our friends here of SPCR comment about, because they have more wisdom than me.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:03 am

Well it's nice PC but your choice of components is very poor for a slient pc. Most of what you bought are known to be extremely loud. You've built towards performance rather then slience it's possible to strike balance but two times ultra jet plane sounding GTX 470 are the worst. Case will have to go for something like the P183,If you want fulltower try Li Lian,VGA coolers will need be taken off those GTX 470 swap them something by AC,Ditch the noise maker PSU buy something by Seasonic around the 850 watt mark.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:20 am

Why would it be loud?

Two radiators should easily keep all components cool under idle/office/multimedia conditions with the fans at >500 rpm. Sure, when you stress the system the fans will have to rev up, but I don't think it will classify as "loud". The noisiest component will be that hard disk.

Kate

Post by Kate » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:56 pm

johnniecache7 wrote:Well it's nice PC but your choice of components is very poor for a slient pc. Most of what you bought are known to be extremely loud. You've built towards performance rather then slience it's possible to strike balance but two times ultra jet plane sounding GTX 470 are the worst. Case will have to go for something like the P183,If you want fulltower try Li Lian,VGA coolers will need be taken off those GTX 470 swap them something by AC,Ditch the noise maker PSU buy something by Seasonic around the 850 watt mark.
Thank you Johnniecache7,

Well I know its going to be pretty hard to get a silent PC. However, I believe that by using WC, i will be able to keep all the GPUs (the 3 470s) at an acceptable noise level... The noise dimished a lot by watercooling the CPU, NB, SB, NF200s and Mosfets...

As far as the P183 goes, I have an P182, and that lovely case doesnt fit the Evga 4-Way SLI.

For the 3-way SLI i need a better power supply, even the Silverstone will have a tought time powering all the 3 cards, especially because it only has connectors to power 2 cards! Im looking at the top end Corsair or Silverstone PSUs.

:)

Kate

Post by Kate » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 pm

tim851 wrote:Why would it be loud?

Two radiators should easily keep all components cool under idle/office/multimedia conditions with the fans at >500 rpm. Sure, when you stress the system the fans will have to rev up, but I don't think it will classify as "loud". The noisiest component will be that hard disk.

Thats...

Exactly what I am hoping for! :)

I wish there was a case that could take a triple and a dual rad (Corsair Obesidian 800D, maybe)...

I do not mind the HD noise, it is not right beside me, its under the desk, so the noise is not THAT loud!

Thank you!

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Kate wrote: I do not mind the HD noise, it is not right beside me, its under the desk, so the noise is not THAT loud!
"Not that loud" is a hugely subjective statement that you'll probably be retracting after using a quiet/almost silent machine for some period of time.

now to comment on the question posed in your sig:

i have no interest in crossdressing. however i do lament the lack of clothes available in the more flamboyant awesomely anachronistic apparel style.

Kamzu

Post by Kamzu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Dude, all those goodies and you didn't do it justice with an SSD?!

Common man! T.T;;

Btw... Special on Intel 120gb G2 today only on Newegg! =D

DO IT!!! check slickdeals if you want the lo-down.

cordis

Post by cordis » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Yeah, an SSD would be helpful. I'd second rethinking the PSU, the biggest one that spcr reviewed favorably was the zalman zm1000 hp (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article834-page1.html), but I'm not sure if they still make it, it's disappeared from my local Fry's recently. I also managed to google up a watercooled psu someplace, might check over in the watercooling forum for some more specific hints. The pump and radiator are what you want to worry about with watercooling, if you can keep those quiet, then you might be ok. Still need a couple case fans to keep the board and ram (and video ram) cool, but you should be ok otherwise. Going to be doing any overclocking?

But the more important question is, what are you going to do with it? From the cpu/gpu selections and the monitors, I'm guessing gaming? For most gaming systems, you hit max load while gaming, and if you have those speakers on the desk cranked up, you may not hear the system anyway. With watercooling, it should be pretty quiet at idle (although it does depend on the pump and radiator fans, may need to tweak those). If you're looking to be doing anything computationally intense in relative quiet, that's where you'll have some trouble. But either way, interested in joining our folding team(viewforum.php?f=16)? ;)