Is a 5400tr 2.5" Hdd in enclosure is silent as an SSD ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sub

Is a 5400tr 2.5" Hdd in enclosure is silent as an SSD ?

Post by sub » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:53 am

Hi guys,

For my next build my main objective is a very quiet computer, I don't want to use my 3.5 7200tr Hdds suspended in my Solo anymore.

I was thinking to use a 2.5" 5400tr hdd in a Scythe quiet drive for the storage an a ssd for the OS.

Do you have any experience with this setup, can you suggest me a drive ?

All comments welcome, thanks :wink:

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Is a 5400tr 2.5" Hdd in enclosure is silent as an SSD ?

Post by frenchie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 am

I had a 160Go samsung 2.5 drive (HM160JC) in and SQD for some time. It worked very well. It got replaced by an SSD, but it was for speed reasons. It is a very good quiet combination. If I were you, I would even try the bare drive first and see how it sounds by itself. If it's still too loud, add the SQD. Keep in mind that the SQD will not reduce vibrations much, mostly motor noise and seeks (vibrations shouldn't be a problem with a decent laptop drive).
I highly recomment this setup and it will be very very quiet.

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:26 am

I used to have mine wrapped in foam. Depending on your capacity needs, a single-platter WD Scorpio is a top drive (I presume a 320 GB would be single platter), with the equivalent Seagates and Samsungs also worthy competitors. In foam mine was extremely quiet, but the drive temperatures seemed to be horrendous even if it always worked fine. In comparison, the SSD is always cold like a snake. :mrgreen:

The answer to the question (ie how does it compare to an SSD) simply depends on your noise floor.

guermantes

Post by guermantes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Eunos wrote:I used to have mine wrapped in foam. In foam mine was extremely quiet, but the drive temperatures seemed to be horrendous even if it always worked fine.
What would horrendous mean in this context? What is a decent HDD temperature?
Anyone is welcome to share their ideas (since we cannot be sure that Eunos sees this).

Thanks!

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Honestly I did not ever actually measure temps, as the drive never missed a beat and I never thought anything of it.

I later replaced it with an SSD, and I remember taking the Scorpio out of the foam and I couldn't even touch it with my hands for 15 minutes after unplugging it, it was that hot. It had been used as the OS drive in the machine for a couple of years or so. Amazing to think it is still going to this day in another machine.

Currently, I have my files in a larger capacity Scorpio which I manually switch on when I need it (USB 3.0 enclosure). I would recommend some sort of set-up like that, or else set the drive to power down after a short time (5 minutes) perhaps in conjunction with an enclosure. I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with the results.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:45 am

sub wrote:Do you have any experience with this setup, can you suggest me a drive ?

After experimenting in an Antec Minuet, I've slapped a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 paired with a Scythe Quiet Drive 2.5 in an Antec Solo (suspended): I'm really satisfied, but it's not as deadly silent as any SSD, actually.