Starting from scratch - new i5 build, opinions please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bonestonne

Re: Starting from scratch - new i5 build, opinions please

Post by bonestonne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:11 pm

To be honest about the Delta series, the new Windows 7 drivers require a lot of specific BIOS settings which will go against lower power usage and quieter operation.

Drivers are under revision to fix most problems (if not all) but there's no ETA. I simply bring up the point so you have no surprises.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:23 am

Approximately 12 hours to go until I place my order.
One last niggling item is the CPU heatsink. The Mugen 2 is tempting, but I think it's overkill, and is a bit expensive.

I've narrowed it down to:
Hyper 212 Plus + Nexus Real Silent PWM 120mm : inexpensive and small, easy to mount.
Scythe Yasya : only $1 more than the 212 & Nexus, assuming I use the included Scythe fan.

Any reason to go with one over the other?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:36 am

Kerosene wrote:Approximately 12 hours to go until I place my order.
One last niggling item is the CPU heatsink. The Mugen 2 is tempting, but I think it's overkill, and is a bit expensive.

I've narrowed it down to:
Hyper 212 Plus + Nexus Real Silent PWM 120mm : inexpensive and small, easy to mount.
Scythe Yasya : only $1 more than the 212 & Nexus, assuming I use the included Scythe fan.

Any reason to go with one over the other?
Main reasons to choose a heatsink:

1) Silence
2) Mounting
3) Price
4) Weight

Noctua coolers with their quality fans and included voltage-modifying adapters tick all four for me. They're solid.

Regarding the alternatives, I don't like the looks of the Yasya 'sink, not convinced it will do anything to improve cooling (judging from what I've read so far). What it will probably do is poke your hands in a painful manner as you try installing that behemoth (800+ g). The CoolerMaster is interesting because it's cheap and 'light' (626 g + fan), but the SPCR review suggests the fan needs replacing for quiet operation, as you are planning to do. Even if the cost of that extra fan isn't much, I wouldn't buy something just to throw away, simply out of principle, as there are affordable alternatives.

The Mugen 2 was one item I wanted to nag you about, but thought "this guy must have his reasons" and let it be. IMHO it's complete and utter overkill if you're not overclocking.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I still haven't placed my order :? as I'm not entirely sure about the RAM. The Gigabyte QVL doesn't have a lot listed on it.

Ideally I'd like 8GB (2 sticks of 1333 4GB, leaving 2 slots free), but there isn't any 4GB 1333 RAM listed on the Gigabyte QVL.
And from what I've read, I'm just as likely to have problems running all 4 slots with 2GB sticks anyway.
The guys at the Corsair and Gigabyte forums seem to think that the 2x4GB CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 "should" be ok with my selected motherboard. But a third opinion couldn't hurt...

What do you guys think? Should I take a gamble?
Or can you suggest a better 8GB alternative? Should I just fill up all 4 slots with 2GB?
I'm even prepared to select a different motherboard if it will make the RAM decision easier.

This is the last decision I need to make. I want my new computer!

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Kerosene wrote:I still haven't placed my order :? as I'm not entirely sure about the RAM. The Gigabyte QVL doesn't have a lot listed on it.

Ideally I'd like 8GB (2 sticks of 1333 4GB, leaving 2 slots free), but there isn't any 4GB 1333 RAM listed on the Gigabyte QVL.
And from what I've read, I'm just as likely to have problems running all 4 slots with 2GB sticks anyway.
The guys at the Corsair and Gigabyte forums seem to think that the 2x4GB CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 "should" be ok with my selected motherboard. But a third opinion couldn't hurt...

What do you guys think? Should I take a gamble?
Or can you suggest a better 8GB alternative? Should I just fill up all 4 slots with 2GB?
I'm even prepared to select a different motherboard if it will make the RAM decision easier.

This is the last decision I need to make. I want my new computer!
Can't help with that one - no experience of recent GB boards or P55. Quick Google showed a lot of people having trouble with 8GB via 4x2GB, so definitely go 2x4GB. Found a Techbargain link for a GB+G.Skill Ripjaws combo (Newegg I think), but it was CAS9. Maybe C9 is all there is for 4GB sticks.

At any rate, all I can suggest is google: "GA-P55A-UD3" 8GB -> find a combo that's working for someone

PS. I've had enough RAM trouble not to want to just blindly test everything for myself. Last rig went through three kits, partly due to bad mobo, and current one has gone through one swap and one upgrade due to buying the wrong kit. Nothing takes the joy out of a new rig like incompatibility issues. :P

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:12 am

I've finally found the only person on the planet running 2x4GB Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 with a GA-P55A-UD3* board. It works.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/41 ... -ud3r.html
The first thing I did when I installed the memory was to bump the memory multiplier to 10 to make the ram run at DDR3-1333, stock voltage 1.50V (BIOS health section reports around 1.55V). The timings section was left SPD auto, which ran 9-9-9-25 (so close to the label, but not exact). This tested stable with prime95, LinX, and Memtest
I'm now beginning to think I'm going too far with the fanless X-460 PSU.
I think I could comfortably get away with a regular Seasonic and save $100+.
I'm currently running a Seasonic S12 430W, and I'd forgotten just how quiet it is.
The Seasonic S12II 430W is only $85.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=15958

BUT... from what I've read on SPRC, the S12II is LOUDER than the S12. If so, I'll just swap over the S12 from my existing PC (which I'm VERY happy with) into the new one.

Please just tell me to get on with it :D

-------------
FINAL SPEC:
CASE: Fractal Design Define R3 Black
CPU: Intel Core i5 760
HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
HSF: Nexus Real Silent PWM 120mm fan
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W
GPU: HIS ATI Radeon HD5450 Silence 1GB
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
HDD: Samsung 7200 SpinPoint F3 1TB
ODD: Lite-On IHAS524 24x DVDRW Super AllWrite
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB E Series SSD
TOTAL (incl shipping): $1178 AUD
-------------

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:01 am

Fantastic, RAM is settled.

Did not like the S12II (I had one after an Antec blew up and before I got my HX520W). It is also an old design at this point in time. I would avoid. Instead I can heartily recommend the Nexus I have, inexpensive and a quality product all around. Also an SPCR Editor's Choice.

Depending on how old your S12 is, I wouldn't swap it out. Let it live out its days happily powering the same hardware as always. :wink:

If there is something that still goes wrong after all this deliberation, then you can safely declare that nothing more could've been done to avoid it, so JUST DO IT™. :lol:

PS. If for whatever reason you don't like the Nexus, just pick something off the Editor's Choice list and I'm sure you'll be a happy bunny.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Unfortunately Nexus PSUs are pretty much impossible to get in Australia, and all the other (381 to 650W) PSUs on the Editor's Choice list are getting back up into the price bracket of the Seasonic X-460.

If I do decide to use my existing S12, does it have the same power cables/plugs as the S12II? i.e, the correct cables to run current motherboards?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Kerosene wrote:Unfortunately Nexus PSUs are pretty much impossible to get in Australia, and all the other (381 to 650W) PSUs on the Editor's Choice list are getting back up into the price bracket of the Seasonic X-460.

If I do decide to use my existing S12, does it have the same power cables/plugs as the S12II? i.e, the correct cables to run current motherboards?
If it's ATX 2.1/2.2, chances are it's just fine, since you don't have a demanding rig. You're the owner tho', so it's up to you to check if the unit has the plugs for the new mobo, video card and any SATA devices you want. Those are the only unique plugs, and the only load concern is usually the GPU or multiple HDDs.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:23 am

Stuff it. I'll go with the X-460. The reviews are all brilliant.
Now... to get this thing ordered, delivered, and built before it becomes obsolete.
Thanks for the help everyone! :wink:

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:13 am

All done!

* CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 works fine with the GA-P55A-UD3
* SSD is insanely fast - but I'll have to figure out a TrueCrypt workaround (I'm used to full system drive encryption)
* F3 is quieter than I expected
* R3 case is fantastic - cable management, sound proofing, looks good, runs cool with 1 slow spinning exhaust fan
* Fractal Design fans are reasonably quiet, good enough for now, will probably replace rear exhaust eventually
* Hyper 212+ and Nexus Real Silent are a great combo, very cool, very quiet (fan running at 25% in Speedfan for general computer use)
* Seasonic X-460 fanless - awesome, worth every cent. Very slight whine, only audible if you're really trying to hear it

Very happy with the new build :)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:19 am

Glad to hear it turned out great! Too many of these threads just end with no satisfying result, hope yours lasts for a lifetime (as guaranteed by component manufacturers). :D

KaOSoFt

Post by KaOSoFt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:04 pm

I envy your case. I'd have to pay at least 40% more for it if I want it. I live in South America, where that case is impossible to get, and importing it, with its weight, well, let's just say only my wallet will feel it.

Otherwise, nice setup! It looks so clean!

jonny89

WD10EARS OR HD103SJ???

Post by jonny89 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:55 am

Hi Kerosene,

i've seen yours hard drives in signature.

I'm undecided to choice western digital wd10ears or samsung d103sj for backup/archive use...

I will put the hard disk in a esata/usb2.0 box.

Which of two hard drive is the most reliable, quiet, vibration less?

Thanks in advance :wink:
Best Regards
Giovanni