FT02 vs P183 which is quieter?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dsrtegle

FT02 vs P183 which is quieter?

Post by dsrtegle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi, I am building a new PC mainly for video editing and graphics work, almost no gaming. The components are already purchased as following:

CPU: i7-950 with the cooler Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.B SCMG-2100
MB:Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Memory: Kingston DDR3 1600 2GBx3
HDD: WD Black 1TB
Video card: EVGA EE or Gigabyte 460 GTX 1GB
PSU: Seasonic X750

while I still need to find on a quiet case. After searching SPCR and reading a lot of threads, I finally fell between the two famous choices: FT02 or P183. As far as I know, they both have some cons. FT02 has a newer design than P183, and is more spacious.

The major concern on FT02 is the PCI slots are on the top and the noise from 460GTX fan is easier to hear. I am also wondering if 406GTX in FT02 will be at lower temperature and fan speed than in P183 because of FT02's vertical design. Not sure if this will offset the nearer noise source.

Also somebody pointed out in the other thread that X750 is a little bit offset with FT02's vent grid. FT02 does not have the vibration-proof multi-layer side panels and the dampening rubber for HDD, either.

The big problem with P183 is the hum problem with the top 120cm fan. I will have to replace it with a Nexus fan. The other concern of P183 is the smaller interior and then higher temperature and fan speed/noise.

Could anybody with both cases give me some suggestions? Thanks!

fumino

Re: FT02 vs P183 which is quieter?

Post by fumino » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 am

the card sholud be cooler in the ft02, so you should be able to run your fans slower... plus a big cooler like the mugen will probably like the airflow in the ft02 as well

though it looks like you haven't picked a card yet... could i recommend the MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC? efficient and quiet cooling~
newegg

dsrtegle

Post by dsrtegle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 am

fumino wrote:the card sholud be cooler in the ft02, so you should be able to run your fans slower... plus a big cooler like the mugen will probably like the airflow in the ft02 as well

though it looks like you haven't picked a card yet... could i recommend the MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC? efficient and quiet cooling~
newegg
Thanks for the comment. I heard 760MB version of 460GTX is quieter than 1GB, while 1GB versions are with more values, faster, and easier to OC. So I am leaning toward 1GB now. Will the EVGA "EE" design fit FT02's airflow better?

cordis

Post by cordis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 am

I have a mugen 2 on an i7-930 in an ft02, no problems keeping that cool, mine is OC'd with no overheating issues. And the motherboard cut out on the back makes it relatively easy to install. I have had an evga 460 in there, not currently, but when it was in there I had no noise issues with it. It's one with a fan in the middle and not the end, though. And since I was folding on it and the cpu, both components were running pretty hard. If it does turn out to be too loud, you could always add an aftermarket cooler, that would probably be a good option. If you're just video editing, you probably won't be pushing it too hard, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the fan at low speed.

Oh, and the ft-02 does have rubber grommets on the hard drives, and it does have some soundproofing on the side panels (assuming it's not one of the side panel window versions), just to correct your original mail. Not sure how it compares to the p183, but it is there. It's definitely one of my better cases.

dsrtegle

Post by dsrtegle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Good to know FT02 has rubbers for HDD, too. That makes it more like a $230 case. The sound dampening on side panels are just foams, which are different with P183's multilayer panel structure. But P183's top fan problem is really annoying.

Still hesitating ... :?

And I am also considering to give up 460GTX, as most of my applications (video editing, graphics) do not need super 3D processing and it is a waste of 460GTX. A GT 240 for $30 may fit my situation better though it has much less CUDA cells, but the i7-950 CPU may be able to compensate that.

cordis

Post by cordis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Good idea, it's definitely easier to keep a cpu quiet than a gpu. Downgrading the gpu and upgrading the cpu is a good strategy, with the ft-02 you can definitely go fanless on the gpu if it's low end enough. Come to think of it ..... (off opening a new tab)...

Zotac has a fanless 430 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Now that would be pretty perfect for an ft-02, with the fan down below blowing right on it. And you still get 96 stream processors if you need a little CUDA oompf. Zotac also makes (or made) a fanless 240, but it's out of stock at newegg. An i7-950 with a decent cooler and a fanless 430, that would be a system with some power and super quiet.

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 pm

i do a lot of video editing, i own both cases, the p183 is the way to go for this purpose... it's quieter, and it's a higher-quality build.

these low-end video cards don't have much in the way of cuda capability, i would go cheap and fanless, then replace it in a year or so.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:11 pm

For video editing you need either the latest cpu ( i7 kind) or a dedicated board for real time editing , Canopus HD storm for example. A small GC like a low end GT2xx will not help you in any way in most high end softwares (NLE kind: Vegas, Edius etc..) It's only ok for playback hd video that's it.

Making effects takes a lot of calculation hence the dedicated board solution or latest cpu.

Frankly these days , if i had some money to spend i wouldn't go higher than a quad core which is more than enough for multitasking (watching tv/internet etc) and keep some money for such a board.

dsrtegle

Post by dsrtegle » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:43 pm

danimal wrote:i do a lot of video editing, i own both cases, the p183 is the way to go for this purpose... it's quieter, and it's a higher-quality build.

these low-end video cards don't have much in the way of cuda capability, i would go cheap and fanless, then replace it in a year or so.
Hi danimal,

I read your post on p183 and FT02, and feel you like P183 more. Could you answer me several more questions?
1. Is the top fan humming in P183 very serious?
2. I saw a picture of your P183 in another thread, and you actually installed quite a lot fans. I don't think I need so many as I have a low-end GC. With my computer configurations, what is the minimum number of case fans to keep it cool and quiet, and where to install them?
3. Do I need to replace the stock fans with Nexus fans?
4. Does the FT02's lower and deeper shape help on the stability and less vibration?

Thanks!

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm

i cut out the top fan outline that the p183 has, which the p182 didn't have... so i don't hear any vibration-induced humming from the top fan... unfortunately the p183 doesn't have the hood scoop on top, like the p182 does.

i would start noise and temp testing with the factory fans, undervolted, and go from there... i went overboard with fans because of the sli video card setup, which you won't have to deal with.

there is only about 1" difference in height between these cases, although the mass of the ft-02 would make it more stable?

cordis

Post by cordis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Actually, in my FT02, I haven't replaced any of the fans. I put a little slowdown resistor on the top fan, and I used the switch to turn the bottom fans low, but that's it. So that's an extra cost you don't have to pay for the case. Can't really speak to stability, don't have a p183 to compare it to.

danimal

Post by danimal » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:25 pm

the big ft-02 fans are nice, no question about it, you can't duplicate that airflow vs. noise vs. gpu temp situation with a p183.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:24 am

I'm also considering either a FT02 or a P-183.

My situation is I'd like to transfer my current uATX board into one of these two cases. I was wondering if a fanless video card (like the Zotac 430) on a uATX board in the FT02 would be too far away from the bottom fans for proper cooling? Or should it still be ok?

SilentKnight

Post by SilentKnight » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:31 am

Hi all! Long time viewer - first post. I'm looking at FT02 also but can't decide if its a "must have" chassi regarding quietness. It have the looks/finish and some nice build quality but kind of high price. Today I'm using a "silenced" Chieftec Dragon with 2 Nexus 80 mm optional fans installed. In total its almost noiceless to me from where i'm sitting - its under my desk at left, just close to me. But now I'm upgrading some of my components (GPU,CPU) and do think it needs more cooling + I would like a new chassi. So how do you think the FT02 would satisfy my need/wish for a quiet chassi? BTW - there is another chassi in my mind; Fractal Design XL - more of a "usual" compared to FT02 but lots of space and sounddamping+"quiet fans"........opinions?

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:35 pm

whispercat wrote:I'm also considering either a FT02 or a P-183.

My situation is I'd like to transfer my current uATX board into one of these two cases. I was wondering if a fanless video card (like the Zotac 430) on a uATX board in the FT02 would be too far away from the bottom fans for proper cooling? Or should it still be ok?
there is a LOT of air blowing by the video card area, which is why the ft02 works so well for sli.

i think that i would rather get a cheaper case, tho, and strap a quiet 120mm fan directly onto the video card.

tie wraps should work great for that.