Please help me decide on a case, and heatsink

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ickarumba1

Please help me decide on a case, and heatsink

Post by ickarumba1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:34 pm

I am planning to build a computer straight after Sandy Bridge is released. :D
The build:
Intel i5 2500K
Socket 1155 Gigabyte/Asus motherboard of high quality
Gigabyte/Sapphire Radeon HD6950
Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL9 2x2 GB
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB
Intel X-25-M G2 80GB (as a boot drive)
Seasonic X-560

As for the case:
I quite like the looks of the Antec P183 and the Silverstone Raven 2. They are both very sleek.
The Antec P183 is quite a slick looking case, fits on my desk and has in-built acoustic damping. However, it has a few issues: the graphics temperatures will be quite high, and the top fan makes quite a bit of noise due to the fan grill. The case also doens't come with many fans, and I assume I'll have to replace the loud Tricools.

The SS RV02 looks quite sexy (IMO of course), and it has the right angle rotation of the motherboard, which improves GPU cooling. It doesn't have much acoustic damping, but the fans are reasonably quiet (at least better than the P183). I won't be able to get the newer versions with the air-penetrator fans, as I live in NZ and the stores all have old stock. The SS RV02 won't fit on my desk as it is, but I'm mediocre at carpentry, and I can either extend a portion of my desk, or build a small table.

A suggestion of a better alternative would be appreciated. Any shared experiences would be appreciated also, especially from those who have both cases.

What about the heatsink?:
I almost certainly will be overclocking the chip to 4 GHz.

For the CPU heatsink, I have a dilemma: I don't know if I should spend a lot of money. The cheapest option would be going for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, and attaching some low RPM fans. Of course, I feel this is not decent enough, so I have come up with some more expensive options. Arranged in price (lower to higher): Noctua NH-P12 SE2, Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 Noctua P12's, or Noctua NH-D14 (only a bit more expensive than the Megahalems solution).

I want the GPU to run as cool as possible, because I may be overclocking it as well (depending on temperatures of course).
The most silent solution I have come up with is the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 with a quiet fan, such as a silent Nexus.

The computer will be right next to me or beside the desk at desk level (e.g the top of the case will be level with the surface of the desk).
I will buy acoustic damping material if necessary.
All comments are welcome.
:D

quest_for_silence

Re: Please help me decide on a case, and heatsink

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 pm

ickarumba1 wrote:All comments are welcome.

I've swapped a P182 with a Raven: IMO if you won't do CFX, you might spare some bucks and live long and prosper with Antec (and no hassle with your desk).

For the CPU heatsink, IMO there's no need anything better than a CM Hyper 212+ (but a better fan): the first alternatives IMO should be some Scythes (a Mugen 2 Rev. B, maybe with push-pull fans, or a Yasya), the COGAGE (if they'll release a mounting mechanism), several Thermalrights (the HR02, the Silver Arrow, the Archon, the new Extreme Rev. C), or Prolimatech ones if you rather them over TR. Anyway, personally I would avoid any big Noctua's fan.

MajinWu

Post by MajinWu » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:39 pm

You might want to draw the line with Noctua NH-D14.
Even getting a Silver Arrow is pushing it because the P183 can barely fit it (as in the side panel is going to be difficult to close). See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60968&p=528788#p528788

And forget about the the Thermalright Archon. That thing has a height of 170mm and definitely can't fit in a P183

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I plan on getting a higher end amd graphics card. Wouldn't the p183 cause it to have high temperatues, so the cooler would be loud?

If I get the p183, it'll be on my desk. If I get the rv02 or ft02, it'll be on the floor.

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I plan on getting a higher end amd graphics card. Wouldn't the p183 cause it to have high temperatues, so the cooler would be loud?

If I get the p183, it'll be on my desk. If I get the rv02 or ft02, it'll be on the floor.