Machines of the Tortuga (56K Warning update: 21.08.2011)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Machines of the Tortuga (56K Warning update: 21.08.2011)

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:17 am

Hi!

Firstly sorry about bit quick photo's of which quality in sometimes left for desire. I used auto-setting as I didn't had time to manually set perfect foreach situation.

For those who think what the heck is Tortuga, its name of my 3 computer home Lan for playing games like Serious Sam's, Command & Conquer, Swat 4, Diablo's, Joint Operation: Typhoon Rising and Left 4 Dead and other good + some other limited co-op games. A tortoise is good name for a LAN ( That is what Tortuga is, a tortoise in spanish ) Obviously Left 4 Dead demands more than any other listed game..

Nexus ( Nexus as nod, joint or crossing point )

Is my primary computer.

Needs:

Silence: I keep this computer a lot on, due downloading things from net.

Storage: As n00b photographer storage for digital images is needed and Anime's like Bleach, One Piece and other several dozen ( hundred ) episode series eat up a lot disc space.

Power Effeciency: Because this is computer that is on most of the three, I focused on getting Idle power as low as possible. Next phase is getting Kill-a-watt.

CPU: AMD X2 4850e 2,5 Ghz 45W TDP. 65nm.
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-C12P. Very good top-down cooler.
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H. Full ATX 780G motherboard.
VGA: Asus HD 4670 with Zaman VNF100-HP. All other games except Left 4 Dead run playable with HD 3200. Has good peerformance and power ratio. GPU core drops in 2D / low loads into 0,9v.
Memory: 3 GB Kingston 667 Mhz DDR2
Power: Nexus Value 430W. SPCR reviewed very quiet PSU. Overkill in wattage for my needs but its very quiet and doesn't need fan swap.
HDD's: Samsung T166 500GB: Hd501lj. Quiet and good HDD. Few years old. Noisiest part in my system even inside Scythe Quiet Drive. Diveded in 3 parts.. Lying on foam. Storage: F2 EcoGreen HD502HI. Very quiet and affordable. Suspended in Solo.
Case: Antec Solo. I cutt of fan grills. Due its summer and damn hot in my room, I added 2x NExus Real Silents @ 5-7v. I re-inforced the power and reset button with 2-part epoxy. I put some paxmate soft foam behindfront bezel and on sides. Every little thing helps ^^
Fans: 800 RPM slipstream in rear. 1 120mm Real Silent on Noctua UH-C12P. 2x 92mm Nexus fan on front.
Sound card: SoundBlaster Live-24bit.
Fan Control: Akasa Fan Control Jr.
Monitor: Acer P221W 22" TFT
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II.
Keyboard: Logitech Wave corded. Cyber Snipa Flexiglow v2 FPS buttons.
Mices: Logitech MX518 with Ultimate Breathe X-2 mice bad for gaming. Logitech Marbel Mice Trackball for regular use.
External HDD: Buffalo JustStore Eco 1TB USB 2.0

In Future: I will change Hd501lj into another HD502HI. Akasa FanControl JR will be changed into Scythe KazeQ. I get one more fan channel and I get down

all the way to 5v which is impossible with Akasa atm. Maybe change then Rear exhaust into 1200 rpm varian as its too loud @ 7v for sleeper rig.

-----------------------------------------------
Yes, I know desk is messy...

My Solo on its place. Yes, even a week things have started to pile up on it... Besides the dust that seems to drawn on that paint...

Insides could be cleaner. I should improve cablegami when I have more time.

Flimsy buttons have been curse of the Solo. I re-inforced mine with epoxy. Its hard to see but... It works well. It made buttons more stiff.

Sorry I forgot to turn picture correct way. But here's the Solo without front bezel and Dust filter.

Wolflair

My primary game rig.

CPU: Intel E8400 3,0 Ghz 65W TDP. 45nm
CPU cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 RedScorpion with Scythe Kama-PMW
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Pro P45 motherboard.
VGA: Club 3D HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 with Accelero S1 rev + S-flex 120mm 800 RPM Ziptied.
Memory: 2x2GB Muhskin DDR2 800 Mhz.
Power: Corsair HX 620W
HDD: Western Digital 650 GB Black.
Case: Modified and Dampened Antec Three Hundred: Enough space, enough cooling for budget. I love the Spartan utilitarian look.
Fans: 2x 120mm RealSilent @ 7v in front. 140mm Yate-Loon @ 9,5v top exhaust. 1200 RPM Slipstream Motherboard controlled around 950 RPM's in rear exhaust. Scythe Kama-PMW 120mm in Heat sink- Idles around 400 RPM's. I have Akasa PMW-splitter installed so I might get later 120mm PMW fan into rear exhaust and use it to ramp up with CPU fan. 3-pin fan control is pretty lousy in P5Q series, when they exist.
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy SE.
Speakers: Logitech Z3 2.1 speakers.
Keyboard: Ideazon/Steelseries Merc Stealth
Mice: Microsoft Habu.
Monitor: Acer P223Wi 22" TFT
Other: 4x 10cm CCF's modded into Amberish light tone. Something more different from blues, greens, reds and rainbow's of regular blings. Very soft tones and subtle lights. Way I like them to be instead bright blue eyes that kill your night vision in night, blind you and illuminate entire room...

Yes, I know its messybut when you have lot's of stuff and little shelf space...

Still messy

Modded top exhaust with YL-140mm fan.

I still could improve cablegami bit...

Upview. You can see one of the CCFL's if you look carefully.

Side panel with 2,5mm thick bitumen matt beneath and Akasa paxmate on the bitumen. Entire case got same lining and added significantly more mass.

Front panel without cover.

HDD suspension and you can see that most of the cables are attached in chassis and away from airflow.

Regor

Regor began as scrap part build and is currently in its 4th stage. I used a lot spare parts I had. It also needed to run Left 4 Dead. Its weak point ( in many ways ) is 4 years old 80 GB Seagate ide HDD. Main function: guest computer, Linux playground and 2ndary gaming rig.

CPU: Athlon II X2 245. 2,9 Ghz 65W TDP 45nm. At 62€'s this was in good mark. 250 would have been 20€'s more expensive. Not really worth of it.
Memory: 2x1 GB Mushkin 800 Mhz 2nd hand.
Cooler: Scythe Zipang. Well compelete overkill. I had Alpine 7 Planned but I got greedy and ipulsive when I got Zipang half price. It does cooling very well... And covers nearly half of my mAtx motherboard.
Motherboard: Asus M3A75-CM. mATX motherboard with 760G chipset and SB710 combo. 4 memory slots. Good layout. Good value.
VGA: HD Sapphire 4850 512MB GDDR3 HDMI. I really wanted HD 4770, but with price difference of 2 €'s and fact HD 4770 are sold out and upcomming patches come in... sometimes future... I guess. This was good choice. Ok, it runs hotter and draws more juice. But GDDR3 and 55nm technology are mature unlike GDDR5 technology. I paid from this card 99€'s instead Club 3D which I bought with 175€'s a year ago. Prices have come down... I am surprised that DualSlot heatsink is as quiet as it is. I expected a lot louder fan.
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380W. Good PSU from reputable manufacturer. Good lines, good effeciency. Very good price ^^
Case: Antec P182: My old, modded case that has served me long and well for couple of years will continue serving me in this.
Case fans: Scythe slipstream 800 RPM fans in back and front. S-flex 1200 rpm @ 5v in top. Top fan is unnecessary but I got that S-flex in good use. Makes very slight vibration to top. No problem as computer is practically inauduable there, thanks to close by Freezer unit.
Keyboard: OCZ Elixir II: Quietest keyboard I have had so far. Budget and... pretty basic.
Mice: Razor Diamondback: Good mice. I got it in campaign and paid less than 60% of original price.
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 720N
Speakers: Logitech X210 2.1 Speakers.

Surprise, surprise. 3rd messy desk. I wonder if you guys can see... hmm a trend in my desks? i still find everything, unlike when they are tidy.

Image[/URL]

I wonder what parts qualify OCZ to advertise this as gaming keyboard? No macro's, no anti-ghost, no FPS keys / "butterfly" arrangement. Still under 14€'s and quietest keyboard I have had so far.

Image[/URL]

My old faithful P182 continues serving me still ^^

I forgot to rotate this one too. Sorry for the inconvinience.

Zipang is huge. I mean huge. Only when you put it in case you realize how big that heatsink is... And I got mATX board. It covers nearly half of the board nicely ^^

Cablegami is pretty easy in P18x series cases but I still could improve it bit.

Ethernet Swtich: Basic 8port Linksys switch. 10/100 MB
Cables: Cat5e belkin cables. 15m+15m+10m pieces.

In future: Cheap Gigabyte Switch and replace Cat5e cables with Cat6e cables as all my computer's integrated nic's are gigabyte nics.

I know some pictures may not load correctly or so. I'll be fixing what I can but Imageshack hasn't been that reliable in past days. During this session it crashed 3 times for me.

P.S. I'll be loading later, when it gets dark how the lights are in Wolflair. Currently its too bright.[/b]
Last edited by thejamppa on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

bozar

Post by bozar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:06 am

Very nice rigs, I wish I had three that fast computers. How well is the Zipang doing in cooling the motherboard?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 am

Thank you.

Zipang does good job ( Noctua's top down slightly better though ). Motherboard runs around 1-2 degree's cooler after I changed cooler from Alpine 7 into Zipang. Installation is bit hell, but well worth of it.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Very nice indeed. Wish my rigs looked as clean!

I really like the Antec 300 as a case. How's the 140mm Yate Loon fan as the top exhaust - no bad sleeve bearing noise? I'm trying to resist the urge to buy one of these cases and play around with a bit of case modding etc.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 am

Yate-Loon 140mm does very good as top exhaust. When you put ear close to it, you may hear some growling and hissing. But that is like few inches away. The dark woosh from air covers any side noises and two heavy layers of bitumen in roof makes sure it won't cause in vibrations, even when hard mounted

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks for that. I take it that its the Yate Loon 140mm D14SL 1k rpm version you're using, right? Nice to know it is reasonably quiet at even 9.5V.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:00 am

Yeah, its 1000 rpm sleevebearing variant. Ok, some pictures are down, thanks to Imageshack. I'll transfer pictures into photobucket and reupload pictures.

Edit: Alright now pictures seem to work. I'll replace them once/if pictures go missing again.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:40 am

Well done, thejamppa. You have three very good, complete systems. Well thought out, and made with a combination of high end and budget parts, all of good quality. There's no way I could afford or convince myself to own and run three computers like you :cry:.

If you consider a 2 years old case "old" and a "long and faithful servant", what about us who are using cases 6+ years old? They must be "ancient" then. But... I understand.

Some people don't mind a messy workspace. I myself cannot bear them. I am a bit of a neat obsessive: everything tidy and in order. However, I do eat and drink near my workspace to keep myself nourished during long and weary hours of computing. So you can take off one or two marks from me.

Again, well done. It's good to see all your systems in one post. Go Tortuga!

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:37 am

Nice rigs you got there, thanks for sharing. How would you rate the ocz keyboard in term of feel? Compared to the ms and logitech keyboards?

The mods are very clean, your desks however do look a little ghetto!

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54 pm

@ Shamgar:

My oldest case was SLK 3000B which served me 4 to 5 years and has served my brother's for 2 years. Its the case that lead me into Quiet PC's and I started silencing computer's.

I am neatfrink when it comes gabling but when I clean my desk its messy in 2 or three days. And right after I've sorted everything out and cleaned I've lost everything. I find much easier things in messy desk I don't know why but I just do.

@ ntavlas:

Feeling is quite comfortable. However keys need slightly more strength for pressing than your average logitech. But it is a lot quieter than any logitech or ms keyboard I have had so far.

Thanks. I know desks are bit ghetto but clean tables are sign of messy head or so they say. But important thing is that I find everything I need to find. ^^

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Fair enough on the messy tables :). Can I ask why you chose Solo for main system and swapped P182 over to 3RD PC?

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:59 am

Shamgar wrote:Fair enough on the messy tables :). Can I ask why you chose Solo for main system and swapped P182 over to 3RD PC?
Yes: Solo is smaller case but main reason was HDD suspension. When I added 2nd HDD, the Samsung EcoGreen F2 500 GB on Silicone Cushions on P182, it added slight dark hum into case, which I wasn't found on and I really did not wanted to start modding suspension or so forth so I grabbed Solo instead due you can mount 3 HDD's in Suspension. Its smaller case, lack of door helps using the Optical drive and front panel connectors are better designed as Solo you can use both USB's together een if they're not slim line, unlike P182 that USB's are side by side.

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 am

thanks for sharing

vandal138

Post by vandal138 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:53 pm

great job!

colm

Post by colm » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:06 pm

nice system.
the vid card volt dropping, it also drops the hertz.
I found that to be the most dramatic energy keeper, I am not sure why. but if that card drops to native plugin volt (.8+) it is simply a very very efficent machine. It is as if it allowed acpi to function for everything around it. like lan card, and even sound.
:roll:

Ati cards, they are returning some discpilines that I remember them for. Once upon a time, there was no nvidia...a biased hint for you... :wink:

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:34 pm

my first graphics adapter ever was voodoo. Those were the days. I do hope personally nVidia gets its stuff together, changes its idiotic policies ( closed PhysX vs. Open Havok, paying ridicioules sums in game designer's like they did with Eidos and Batman Arkha Asylum, they fire few executives that I don't mention by name and generally stop acting all high and mighty when they'res wimming in dirtpool and would drop the monolithic GPU's in favour of smaller and more cheaper chips like Ati has done.

Competition is good for us all. I see no reason yet to upgrade my worlflair's VGA to HD 5800-series card. I will get Windows 7 first and see how things look in that end. This now has been longest time I haven't tinkering with my LAN but all computer's are nearly the same state ( except my Regor, which got my old Samsung T166 500 GB HDD )

oh, well, yes I changed Slipstream 1200 into Gentle Typhoon 1150 as rear exhaust in Wolflair and KamaPWm into Akasa Apache PWM. I am happy results and new noise level. (changing Slipstream into GT was big improvement since its motherboar controlled and GT has a lot lower amperages)

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 pm

A some addition to my Wolflair

A minor change:

Here's improve rubber sealing on top.

Amberish glow is pretty good looking in dark. A lot less obstrusive than blue / white and similar. Since its customized by myself I get all warm and fuzzy feeling of my unique lights. (it looks even better in real life, I just got poor night optics in camera)

I need to improve bit the top illumination. It still isn't as visible like I would like but at least its not obstrusive anyway.

My desktop. Too bad you cannot change Habu's color's less osbturive red or greenish tones. But it works nicely.

I'll post later more pictures of changes ( fans and more detailed pictures of my painted CCFL's )

2nd edit: 23.5.2010:
There's been changes in Regor:
HDD is now 500Gb SpinPoint, my old primary HDD 7200 RPM Sata.
Sata DVD-ram by LG
Cooler changed from Scythe Zipang into Noctua C12P + Scythe Kama-PWM 120 combination.
HD 4850 is cooled by Arcting Cooling L2Pro.

Nexus changes:
HDD 2x 500GB Samsung EcoGreen 5400rpm's and 1x 1TB EcoGreen 5400 rpm

Changes in Wolflair:
HDD Position changed.

I'll take pictures and post them later on.

thejamppa

Re: Machines of the Tortuga (Lot's of pictures )

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:24 am

Two years has past roughly and I've done some minor changes on Wolflair and bit more on Regor Here's pictures the changes on Wolflair. I'll update this later with pictures of Regor when I get the pictures done. Not much, basic hardware is still the same except VGA card. I added more padding on roof. Near exhaust there's 2x 2mm bitumen mat, rest has 1x 2xmm bitumen mat + Akasa self addhessive foam mat on top of the bitumen. I changed the place of HDD from 5,25" blace with NoVibesIII into 3½" place and ziptied my HDD with NoVibesIII

HDD attachment in 3½" slot. HDD is vertically alined front of undervolted NExus RS 120mm fans. Placement dropped roughly 9 degree Celsius the temperatures of my WD Black Caviar.

I had to use Rear Exhaust with wire grill to prevent courtain tangling into blades. I modfied slightly the basic finger grill by cutting off every other guard wire.

New fan and new VGA card: Akasa Apache on Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion with Crossbow bolt-thru kit. VGA card: Evga GTX 460 SC 768MB 192-Bit. My first nVidia for 4 years.

Lithium466

Re: Machines of the Tortuga (Lots of pictures )

Post by Lithium466 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:21 am

Maybe you fixed this, but I saw here http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/136/dscf0659j.jpg/
that ram sticks are not placed for dual chanel... you should place your two ram stick on the yellow connectors, for exemple ;)

(sorry for digging...again... I followed a link from a newer post :oops: )

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 am

Lithium466 wrote:Maybe you fixed this, but I saw here
that ram sticks are not placed for dual chanel... you should place your two ram stick on the yellow connectors, for exemple ;)

(sorry for digging...again... I followed a link from a newer post :oops: )
Its alright, I did fix it when Noticing same thing. Anyway, I've done almost complete system upgrade, now I am just waiting new case to arrive so I can uprade pictures once more.... actually all three computer's need new pictures as all machines are now in DDR3 time and USB 3.0 time.

My game rig has now Sanby Bridge Core i5-2500K and I will upgrade all pictures once my Silverstone FT02B arrives and I can retire my Antec Three Hundred... temporarily atleast.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 am

update 21.08.2011:

Ok, I got Silverstone FT-02 and my Game rig got new home. My Sandy Bridge has now officially been Fortified.

And here's some images. First one are from Alpha test and slow progress into Beta phase via changing fan in CPU and and changing HDD place.

Hardware:
PSU: Seasonic X-560
Motherboard: MSI P67-A-C45
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
Cooler: Prolimatech Armageddon w/Therlmaright TY-140 Alpha / Therlmaright X-Silent 140 Beta
Memories: 2x4GB 1600 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw-X
VGA: eVga GTX 460 768MB SuperClocked
HDD: WD Cavial Black 640 GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Gamer
Case: Silverstone FT-02B
Case Fans: 3x Silverstone 180mm Air Penetrators @ low. 1x Sychte Gentle Typhoon 1150 RPM with motherboard control

Thermalright TY-140 is excellent fan and maximum what case can take with Prolimatech Armageddon. But it barely fits and has left two grooves on side sound padding. X-Silent 140mm is not PWM unfortunately but it sits around good one mm lower than TY-140. Reason why I did change. I can use TY-140 elsewhere. Now side panel closes easier.

Pictures:
Alpha Build:

Ty-140 Sits quite high but it fits.

Its a real rats nest in behind. Back panel is bit tough to close, I need to draw these cables bit needer and thinner. 2mm extra depth in back side would do miracles.

New place for HDD's. DriveSledges in FT-02 are best trays or sledges I've used but they won't beat suspension and sis so far I have single HDD system I opt suspension. Case is quiet enough to make HDD audiable if using trays.

X-Silent 140mm doesn't sit as high as TY-140mm.

Beta phase complete. I see later what I will change.

This case's revision had one small upgrade that SPCR version did not had besides the air penetrator fans:
USB 3.0 ports in front panel. It has internal connection with supplied USB 2.0 adapter as Motherboard with unternal USB 3.0 header are at the moment quite... scarse. I am not sure if any is yet as we speak in retail. But this made my case bit more future proof.

Back side... err I mean topside:
I used my own finger guard on top and ditched Silverstone golfball fan in favor of Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150rpm model. You can hear small ticking from GT 2 inches away when positioned vertically. Still inaudiable over my place. It does suspriringly well for ballbearing fan in vertical position. I would have liked to get Scythe S-Flex or Thermalright version for that though, maybe later.

So what do I think the most expensive Case I've bought so far: Its not perfect case but its extremely impressive loaded with features and temeperatures are amazing. I see 3-5 degree's drop on my components vs. old Antec Three Hundred. Noise has not increased, its changed more subtle and darker vs. my Antec Three Hundred. My minor grievances were that I needed to bend PCI-expansion cards back plate to make screw holes fit. I've never had to do that with Antec's. Back side of the case should be 1mm or 2mm deeper so cablegami would be easier.

I am very hapy now of my build. I am thinking to go later on SSD and install Win 7 and my XP on SSD. Many games I have still like to run XP so I cannot ditch my XP yet. I wait all the minor problems in SSD's to fixed and let the technology mature for a year before getting SSD though. Currently my Cavian Black 640 GB is enough.

I keep testing now 1 fan vs 2 fan configurations on my Armaggeddon but with FT-02B... well I doubt if I should use pull push configuration as I haven't manually over clocked my sandy Bridge yet... but I've cumulated now quite many 140mm fans during my use of Antec Three Hundred and Armageddon... Perhaps I should send some of them for Mike so SPCR would do 140mm fan round up...?

Rikardo

Re: Machines of the Tortuga (56K Warning update: 21.08.2011)

Post by Rikardo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 am

What is that thing you have your hard drive suspended in? You have any more pictures of that?