Silent PSU for new Sandy Bridge computer?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

fjodor2000

Silent PSU for new Sandy Bridge computer?

Post by fjodor2000 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 am

Hi,

I intend to build a new computer consisting of the following parts:

* Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 95W TDP
* Mini-ITX motherboard
* 8 GB RAM
* 160 GB Intel X25-M G3 SSD
* Lite-On iHBS212 Blu-Ray burner
* Scythe Shuriken CPU cooler
* Chassis: Spire SPM210B, see http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/produc ... ProdID=826

All that's missing a silent and reasonable efficient PSU, so I'm looking for some advice!

E.g. is it possible to use a fanless PSU? Or is it better to get one with a fan, so it can transport hot air out of the chassis? I'd like to avoid spending more than $100-150. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

b_rubenstein

Re: Silent PSU for new Sandy Bridge computer?

Post by b_rubenstein » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:38 am

fjodor2000

Post by fjodor2000 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks, but the Seasonic SS-300ET model is unfortunately not available in my country (some other Seasonic models are available however). Any other alternatives?

Also, I wonder if the measurement methods have changed for the PSUs reviewed on this site? In the more recent reviews most quiet PSUs have noise levels around 12dbA@1m, where as the most quiet PSUs in some older reviews have noise levels around 20 dbA@1m. Are the newer PSUs really that much quieter? Or if the measurement method been has changed, is there any way to compare PSUs measured with the old method vs the new method? E.g. can one subtract a certain number of dbA from an older review measurement to compare it to more recently reviewed PSUs?
Last edited by fjodor2000 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

boost

Post by boost » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:08 am

Won't fit.
Try this one.
The case only fits MATX PSUs and very short CPU coolers. There are better options if you want a quiet system.

fjodor2000

Post by fjodor2000 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 am

boost wrote: Try this one.
The case only fits MATX PSUs and very short CPU coolers. There are better options if you want a quiet system.
The one you refered to was the Seasonic SS-300SFD. But unfortunately the only Seasonic models I've been able to find in my country are from the S12, M12 and X series.

Also, when you wrote "There are better options if you want a quiet system", I assume you meant the computer case? If so, do you have any similar to the one I specified above that you can recommend? I want it to be small and have 1x5.25"and 1x3.5" slot on the front.

Finally, would it be an option to use the case I specified above, but with a PicoPSU & PowerBrick mounted inside the case? Or would that generate too much heat? Perhaps it could work if the SFX PSU that comes with the case is replaced by a fan?

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:35 am

fjodor2000 wrote: Also, I wonder if the measurement methods have changed for the PSUs reviewed on this site? In the more recent reviews most quiet PSUs have noise levels around 12dbA@1m, where as the most quiet PSUs in some older reviews have noise levels around 20 dbA@1m. Are the newer PSUs really that much quieter? Or if the measurement method been has changed, is there any way to compare PSUs measured with the old method vs the new method? E.g. can one subtract a certain number of dbA from an older review measurement to compare it to more recently reviewed PSUs?
Mike built an anechoic chamber several years ago that has a much lower noise floor than his old test environment. There are also greater number quiet PS 's being sold now. The biggest difference between PS's from several years ago and current ones is efficiency; many of the newer models are significantly more efficient than the old ones.

BTW, dbA is a weighting scale for measuring sound levels. For computational purposes, a power db is a db so long as the measurement scales are the same (A, C or no weighting).

boost

Post by boost » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 am

b_rubenstein wrote:Finally, would it be an option to use the case I specified above, but with a PicoPSU & PowerBrick mounted inside the case? Or would that generate too much heat? Perhaps it could work if the SFX PSU that comes with the case is replaced by a fan?
It could. It's hard to say what CPU coolers will fit with an optical drive installed.
fjodor2000 wrote:Also, when you wrote "There are better options if you want a quiet system", I assume you meant the computer case? If so, do you have any similar to the one I specified above that you can recommend? I want it to be small and have 1x5.25"and 1x3.5" slot on the front.
Do you mean similar in size or a Shuttle-like box?
Most quieter options either don't have room for an external 3.5" drive or are bigger.
For slightly bigger cases take a look at this thread.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 am

fjodor2000 wrote:Finally, would it be an option to use the case I specified above, but with a PicoPSU & PowerBrick mounted inside the case? Or would that generate too much heat? Perhaps it could work if the SFX PSU that comes with the case is replaced by a fan?
I don't know where you'd want to internally mount the (external) power brick of a PicoPSU. It would kinda defeat the purpose of having a) a source of heat removed and b) more space to incorporate a bigger cooler.

fjodor2000

Post by fjodor2000 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:33 am

tim851 wrote:I don't know where you'd want to internally mount the (external) power brick of a PicoPSU. It would kinda defeat the purpose of having a) a source of heat removed and b) more space to incorporate a bigger cooler.
Well I like to keep all stuff inside the computer case. I don't like having external "things" like USB hard drives or TV-cards attached to my computer.

I agree that there is a problem mounting the PowerBrick inside the case however. I've seen some attach it somewhere on the inside of the computer case using e.g. strong double sided tape or cable tie.

Ideally, I'd like a product where the PowerBrick was mounted inside a very small PSUs enclosure (with standard SFX or ATX width & height, but much smaller depth), with standard power cord connector, and on/off switch. It could likely be made very small. Then you'd get a standard SFX or ATX PSU mounting, on/off switch, small size, and high efficiency.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:44 am

Any SFX PSU in this case will have the problem of fighting for air against the CPU cooler in a tight space. IMO, you should go with a taller case just for a bit more breathing space for those fans. The Intel SB is very energy efficient, and it probably will not cause any PSU fan ramp-up except under extended 100% load conditions -- inside one of Silverstone's Shuttle-like Sugo boxes, SG05, SG06.

Newer recommended PSUs are generally quieter and more efficient, but the higher ambient noise floor of older reviews exaggerates the noise difference. That Seasonic recommended by the second poster cannot fit into your chosen case. It's ATX, while the Spire case uses an SFX variant which is smaller. Similar to but not identical (I think) to the ones in the SG05/06.

boost

Post by boost » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 am

I searched for more ITX cases with standard PSUs and both external 5.25" AND 3.5" drives.
The Morex 6610B is all I could find. It looks well ventilated, both the top and sides have vetilation holes, but it looks a bit odd in shape (to me at least).
If you don't need an external 3.5" drive you get more options. If you use a slim optical drive there's even more.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 pm

To the OP, is the iHBS212 blu ray drive you quiet?