Underclocking --> No fan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

epoxxy

Underclocking --> No fan?

Post by epoxxy » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:31 am

I have 2 computers:

Celeron 300 (Pretty silent fan) ATX Supply 250W (Pretty silent fan)...

Pentium 233@266 (Noisy fan) AT Supply 145 - 250W (I have a several to choose from)

I'm planning to make one of these to a media box using movix.sf.net That allows a 200-233mhz to play a divx with good result...

Got any tips on underclocking and removing fans to get complete silent computer? which one should i choose for this?

i would be happy to get ANY answers...

/desperate EpoXXy =)

mkuo

Post by mkuo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:10 am

both of these processors shouldn't run too hot, just put a large (copper) heat sink on them and keep them at stock speeds

if the pentium 233 uses socket 7, you can try putting a socket a heatsink on it, i think those should work
Last edited by mkuo on Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexHu
Friend of SPCR

Post by AlexHu » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:36 am

I have a slot 1 Pentium II 450Mhz. I took out the noisy fan a year ago and the 7V the power supply fan.

The PC has been running like this for a year now without problem.

So try stopping the fan for a few minutes and check the temp on the heatsink. If it don't burn your finger, then perhaps you can just take out the fan too!

epoxxy

Post by epoxxy » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:17 am

I have a slot 1 Pentium II 450Mhz. I took out the noisy fan a year ago and the 7V the power supply fan.
Don't you have ANY fan on either CPU or PSU? What watt is your PSU on? and how is your heatsink built on your CPU?

AlexHu
Friend of SPCR

Post by AlexHu » Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:00 pm

epoxxy wrote:Don't you have ANY fan on either CPU or PSU? What watt is your PSU on? and how is your heatsink built on your CPU?
Got 2 Panaflo fans on my system:

- 7V fan on the 150W power supply (came with PC)
- 5V fan on the Seagate Barracuda IV (DTemp currently reports 38C, room temperature at 26C)

The heatsink is the stock heatsink that came with the PC. Now, it is a slot 1 CPU, so the heatsink is larger than the socket ones. The heatsink is a little bit on the warm side, but I can touch it without burning my finger.

I have been waiting for it to fail for a year now, so that I have an excuse to buy a new one. However, it still haven't failed once.

The Barracuda is placed on soft foam at the bottom of the case. This is the only component that I don't want it to fail because of the data on it. So extra care is given to cool it down. If I took off the fan, it will get above 50C on a hot summer day. With the 5V Panaflo, I feel more at ease and I could not hear it anyway, with the computer case under the table.

I can barely hear the fans in the middle of the night, e.g. 2am. So I am very happen with the current configuration, even if it is a 450Mhz Pentium II.

Oh, I also use some window weather strip to separate the power supply with the case which cut down the vibration.

johnkenyon

Post by johnkenyon » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:55 pm

I have a P233@266 running fanless using a stock Athlon 1800+ cooler which I had spare. It runs fairly cool under long stress tests. The m/b is old so no temp monitoring but to the touch it seems comparable to my existing (noisey) fan based cooler. I also modded the PSU replacing the 80mm outflow fan with a spare ADDA 80mm fan @ 7V. Unfortunately this now highlights the noisey HD. I also have another 80mm fan @ 7V at the front of the case to ensure there is some airflow through the case.

Good luck,
John