BCS Championship Game ripoff

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

m0002a

BCS Championship Game ripoff

Post by m0002a » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 pm

I have absolutely no connection with either Auburn or Oregon, but I think the BCS Championship Game was a ripoff that was decided on a freak play (even the guy with the ball thought he was already down). I think they should be forced to play the game over again.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: BCS Championship Game ripoff

Post by andyb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Is this an "American Rugby" thing.?

Andy

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:24 pm

andyb wrote:Is this an "American Rugby" thing.?
hahahaha !! yes, you could call it that :) Even though rugby is for men, and football (what you call football is called soccer in the US) is not really :D

Back on topic : there is a controversy as to what the point of this championship is to start with !! Why not have a regular tournament ? So when a team wins because of a "bad" call, of course it's a problem... I'll try to catch the summary of the game later to check out that call.

Actually, I think there was an article in Time last week about this... I'll have to see if I can find it.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Yikes!! A couple of furiners telling us about American Football?

It was not a bad call, just a fluke play. The game was tied with the game almost over (and ready for overtime) and then the ball carrier thought he was tackled, the defensive players thought he was tackled, but by some miracle he fell on another player instead of the ground and then...Never mind.

There is no controversy about the who played in the game, those were the two best teams. The main people who want a playoff are the money hungry networks and sportswriters/commentators.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:57 am

You can be a foreigner and interested in football !! :)
It's interesting the topic of the BCS championship it brought up since I read an article about it recently. Found it : http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 56,00.html
Thoughts on that m0002a ?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:30 am

frenchie wrote:You can be a foreigner and interested in football !! :)
It's interesting the topic of the BCS championship it brought up since I read an article about it recently. Found it : http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 56,00.html
Thoughts on that m0002a ?
The article is mainly about the fact that the CEO's of the bowl games make too much money. CEO's of lots of companies make (or made) too much money (tens of millions per year), especially Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc, which are quasi-government mortgage companies that almost bankrupted the entire world because of their incompetence, not just their own stake-holders. There was a scandal not too many years ago about how much money the executives at United Way charities made (a lot more than the Bowl CEO's).

The article also complained about the current BCS system, and claimed that everyone wants a playoff system. I am against that and think the current system to determine the top 2 teams is fine. If there were a playoff of the top 8 teams, then there would be just as much controversy (probably more) about who is number 8 and who is number 9 (and not in the playoffs).