Serenity i7 Sandy Bridge PC, SPCR Edition, by Puget Computer

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Serenity i7 Sandy Bridge PC, SPCR Edition, by Puget Computer

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Fred Meyer
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Serenity i7 Sandy Bridge PC, SPCR Edition, by Puget Comp

Post by Fred Meyer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Amazing! I have just built a similar system which has taken a lot of inspiration from their previous versions...

However, aren't the memory modules incorrectly installed? At least the manual for my P8P67 Deluxe states that if two memory modules are used, ASUS recommends that they should be inserted in the blue memory slots, labelled A2 and B2. But perhaps it doesn't really matter?

Impressive all the same!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 am

That computer needs a way better video card. What's the challenge in using a passively cooled low mid-end card? And with that kind of hardware, a 5750 feels out of place.

ballcall2

Post by ballcall2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 am

rpsgc wrote:That computer needs a way better video card. What's the challenge in using a passively cooled low mid-end card? And with that kind of hardware, a 5750 feels out of place.
You are right, they should use hd 5770 passive from Gigabyte.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 am

Fred Meyer wrote:Amazing! I have just built a similar system which has taken a lot of inspiration from their previous versions...

However, aren't the memory modules incorrectly installed? At least the manual for my P8P67 Deluxe states that if two memory modules are used, ASUS recommends that they should be inserted in the blue memory slots, labelled A2 and B2. But perhaps it doesn't really matter?

Impressive all the same!
You were right -- wrong photo uploaded. Now corrected. (I was playing around with hardware details...)

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 am

Awesome SPL specs! Puget seems like a very dedicated and quiet-friendly computer company.

Just curious, what happens to those Puget SPCR certified test rigs? Are they for sale?

billysands

Post by billysands » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Great article. This will be the basis of my next build.

What program was used to measure CPU temps?

Since the max safe temp for CPU is put at 80C, does this mean the program is assuming TJMax(throttle) of 85C, since the HDD safe temp is put at 55C and HDD is rated to only 60C?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 pm

whispercat wrote:Awesome SPL specs! Puget seems like a very dedicated and quiet-friendly computer company.

Just curious, what happens to those Puget SPCR certified test rigs? Are they for sale?
They go back to Puget.

jonbach
-- Vendor --

Post by jonbach » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:15 pm

ballcall2 wrote:
rpsgc wrote:That computer needs a way better video card. What's the challenge in using a passively cooled low mid-end card? And with that kind of hardware, a 5750 feels out of place.
You are right, they should use hd 5770 passive from Gigabyte.
Agreed! I wasn't aware that the Gigabyte 5770 actually hit US distribution, but I'll check on that. We'll also have a passive 6850 in our hands soon. MikeC says we probably won't be able to cool it within our acoustic envelope for Serenity SPCR Edition V3, and he's probably right. But we're looking forward to trying!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

A decent 3rd party cooler would be quiet enough, no need to limit yourself in both choice and performance by only going with passive solutions.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1131-page5.html

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:07 pm

I have a couple of questions if I may.
1) We've now made a custom plastic plate for blocking the top vent. It's just more polished, but also blocks the sound a tad bit better. We had to make a ton of them to make them economical, so we sell them now too!
What kind of plastic is used.? Is it ABS.?
2) We've updated all chassis fans to Scythe Slipstream 800rpm, at 5V. We did a LOT of testing, and we're very happy with the temperatures, and are confident that we're not going to find much quieter than this! Temperature logs are provided in the packet with the PC we're send you, though I'm sure you'll be testing yourself.
What speed do 800rpm slipstreams run at whilst at just 5-volts.?

I have a rear facing 1,200 rpm slipstream and I found it loud at 1,200 rpm, so I have set it (via speedfan to start run at 40% (equates to about 640rpm from memory, but I could be wrong as the other fan is on the graphics card and is a 1,000rpm Nexus @ 50% and there is about a 100 rpm difference at abou the same noise level, I will update this later when I know for sure), at which point my 24" Monitor makes more noise than my PC (FYI thats whilst sitting at my desk, the PC has an advantage of more distance, and an inch of solid pine desk in the way, but its still worth mentioning).

Additionally I came up with a solution to cool my GPU whilst using an Accelero S1 and a 120mm nexus fan dangling fron the heatpipes using zip ties, with all of the slots at the back open with the fan at a slight angle blowing up and towards the front of the case as I was most concerned about the MOSFET's on the graphics card. This allowed additional airflow into the case, and means that the GPU fan can also be controlled by speedfan (the only other one is the SS already mentioned), and it speeds up (along with the SS) as the heat in the machine increases (the choice of heat source is the North or Southbridge, I neither know or care which as it works perfectly, and is always hotter than the CPU, and the GPU rarely hits 60C).

I was wondering if Puget had considered such a cooling option, it works very well for me, but something more elegent than zip-clips must be made for the mass market. This kind of setup would have a much larger impact on GPU temps than the current setup especially with hotter cards.

Andy

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Are you for real ?
If I want a quiet computer for programing do I need a Geforce GTX 580 ? answer is a resounding NO! Or if I want a digital audio workstation do I need "better" video card ? No again.
But what about picture processing, yep still NO...I can go on for days counting up scenarios where one need powerful CPU and system but where one HAS NO USE OF GAMING CARDS (or other powerfull GPUs)
Just because you use your computer for play (what a waste of computer power it is to use it for games!) does not mean that everybody else uses it in same way.
You should really reconsider if you are on the right site and right forum...we are mostly adults here and we think that games are...for kiddies.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Redzo -- Please refrain from starting an argument. We are mostly adults and can tolerate a wide range of opinions on many topics, as mature forums should do. Your comments do injustice to rpsgc, who has been an active forum member for a long time, with many posts under his belt.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:10 pm

does not mean that everybody else uses it in same way.
Fair point, why not then use a much much cheaper lower powered PSU and wipe at least $100 off of the bill.?

Sacrafices can and are made everywhere, this particular system was made for Dr X, if you are Mr Y, or Miss Z, I am as sure they can do something for you

Andy

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 am

andyb wrote:
does not mean that everybody else uses it in same way.
Fair point, why not then use a much much cheaper lower powered PSU and wipe at least $100 off of the bill.?

Sacrafices can and are made everywhere, this particular system was made for Dr X, if you are Mr Y, or Miss Z, I am as sure they can do something for you

Andy
Actually the CP-850 is extremely cheap for it's wattage and also very quiet. It's very logical for a system like this, just look at the quietness of the system for a strong reason to use this psu.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 am

Redzo wrote:Are you for real ?
Yes I am. And unlike you, I'll use logic.

Redzo wrote:If I want a quiet computer for programing do I need a Geforce GTX 580 ? answer is a resounding NO! Or if I want a digital audio workstation do I need "better" video card ? No again.
You're the only one mentioning a GTX 580. Noticed how I said a faster card, not the fastest? Do you really care what video card is inside if it was quiet too?

Do you also need a Blue-ray player for programming or for a DAW? I guess that's also a resounding no, but you can't attack me on that now can you? That would be no fun.
Redzo wrote:But what about picture processing, yep still NO...I can go on for days counting up scenarios where one need powerful CPU and system but where one HAS NO USE OF GAMING CARDS (or other powerfull GPUs)
Again, I'd like you to point out exactly where I mentioned "gaming" cards. Or, I could go on and on for days counting up scenarios where a powerful video card IS NEEDED! Some people actually require powerful video cards and NOT for gaming. Yes, I know, shocker!
Redzo wrote:Just because you use your computer for play (what a waste of computer power it is to use it for games!) does not mean that everybody else uses it in same way.
Just because YOU don't use your computer that way does not mean no one else does. So why don't you take your own advice, yes?
Redzo wrote:You should really reconsider if you are on the right site and right forum
I think YOU should really consider if you are on the right forum with that kind of attitude. Plus, "silent" doesn't exclude "high-power" or "gaming". Just goes to show exactly how much you know ;)
Redzo wrote:we are mostly adults here
Yes, we are. Are you? If so, start acting like one.
Redzo wrote:and we think that games are...for kiddies.
No, YOU think that. Most people, don't. In fact, there's a great deal of members here that are also gamers. So you've succeeded in insulting them all. Congrats.

But then again, who cares about the opinion of such a bitter and impolite person? I know I don't!

Have a nice day :)

(Sorry about this Mike)

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 am

andyb wrote:What speed do 800rpm slipstreams run at whilst at just 5-volts.?
~420RPM according to an SPCR fan roundup from 2008:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article832-page4.html

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 am

andyb wrote:What speed do 800rpm slipstreams run at whilst at just 5-volts.?

Cheers.

Andy

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:44 am

Russian readers have found this article. Turn on your translators to follow the lively discussion there:
http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/hardware/112132/

I'd like to point out for their benefit, the link to this page in the long anechoic chamber article -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/article876-page10.html -- and also http://www.silentpcreview.com/New_Audio_Test_Gear_2008 Perhaps someone here with a command of Russian can post info in the habrahabr discussion?

photonblaster

Post by photonblaster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:01 am

One design approach for our own systems is (obviously) to extrapolate from builds like this Serenity and the other great articles from late 2010. My next build needs maximum of raw computing power, ultra-quiet, with need for only simple 2D video.

Looking at the Serentity temperature data, and reviews on H/S like the Thermalright HR-02 which has been reported to handle a Intel Core i7 930, overclocked to 4000 MHz @ 1.320 volts load Core (http://www.overclockers.com/thermalright-hr02-review/) with no fan on the H/S, it would appear that the Serenity system could handle the Core i7 2600K overclocked to its max, which seems to be in the 4.7GHz range. AND stay quiet like the Serenity.

(Note I did not say passive cooling for the HR-02 link since this H/S is beautifally mechanically designed to use the rear exhaust fan a pull fan very close to the back of the H/S).

It may even be conceivable to do without the H/S fan found in the Serenity and still O/C, but CPU temp's would be uncomfortable, I think.
I say this because the OC 2600Kactually has less power draw than the I7 930 at full O/C. The O/C 2600K only needs about another 70W with Prime loading as far as I can tell.

Anyone have some build experience with these new CPUs in O/C to support my hypothesis before I actually build the new system? Or have some solid, data backed, theoretical comments suggesting I am too optimistic?

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 am

It's not the i7 version, but Anandtech just did a review of the i5 SPCR version:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4155/puge ... cr-edition

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:34 am

DaveLessnau wrote:It's not the i7 version, but Anandtech just did a review of the i5 SPCR version:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4155/puge ... cr-edition
I'm still trying to figure out how the author's home PC has idle power of 190W :D

ame

Post by ame » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 pm

The power draw on most of those systems is ridiculous.

I agree with most of the author's conclusion though. Loved it, but its hard to justify the markup even if the build is phenomenal. Its basically catered for a very niche crowd. One that has top $$$ to spend and no clue as to how to do it them selfs.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 pm

There are a lot of people that don't have the time/don't have the skill set to build their own.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm

CA_Steve wrote:There are a lot of people that don't have the time/don't have the skill set to build their own.
Yup.

You guys have to remember, a lot of you LIVE here. :lol: And also remember how long it has taken, how many cases, fans, heatsinks, PSUs, and HDDs you've gone through.... to get to your now blissfully quiet PC. Sure, you know how to build a really quiet one now, but it's not common knowledge, and even with SPCR as a comprehensive resource, it still takes time and effort (and often a few errors) to get it right. For people who make a living using their computer or doing other stuff that still requires a computer sometimes, it's a waste of their time & energy and $$$ to do it themselves. Get one from Puget, it's perfect right from the word go. There's lots of value to that for a lot of people. Time is money; better for the surgeon, gaming software superstar (or whatever) to spend his time making his $1000/hr (plug your hourly rate) at work than try to make his own quiet PC.

ame

Post by ame » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Mike , I feel the need to clarify

I would buy it if I could. It looks like they did a better job than I could ever do in terms of silence. And I liked their professional attitude regarding the SNB flaw offering a fix so users can continue using their systems.
The surgeon, software engineer, or visual designer that will end up buying it are a very select few who this is catered for. Im sure they are happy with their buy. I know it is totally worth it for them.

That is what I was agreeing with in that Anand review's conclusion. Its made for a select few who can afford this type of markup. Even the reviewer wanted one. Lol, who wouldnt?

Where Im from too many people make only about $1000 a month. I myself drive a car that is not woth more than one of those systems sell for. (as revewed by SPCR). Every cent counts. So I try to make the most of it.

Typical boutiq builders around here will mark up 20-25%. sure they wouldnt go as far as Puget do. But there just isnt enough of a market to justify it.

Sorry for all th e typos im on a mobile...

I have gone thru a lot of parts, just like you said, till I figured out what works.

goatsandmonkeys

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

When I was in college radio about 10 years ago there were basically no builders of quiet computers. Also because of the way the bureaucracy worked we couldn't make our own equipment. we had to rearrange the room around the computer. Being able to buy a system like this would have actually cost us less money (forget time) on extension cords and additional furniture so the computer wouldn't interfere with production.

This was also in the golden age of annoyingly loud computers. It's what led me to find this site and my first via build.

As far as boutique builds go I think the puget has more attention to detail than most boutique builds I have seen. Here in the forums there are some pretty serious enthusiasts and puget has a nicer build than the majority of the builds in the galleries of this forum. My planned build won't be as nice or expensive as the puget system.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm

ame wrote:The power draw on most of those systems is ridiculous.

I agree with most of the author's conclusion though. Loved it, but its hard to justify the markup even if the build is phenomenal. Its basically catered for a very niche crowd. One that has top $$$ to spend and no clue as to how to do it them selfs.
Well, I don't know about "top $$$". It's certainly cost more than a store bought system of a similar spec would. But for a custom rig, especially when you consider other custom or boutique systems like Maingear Shift, Digital Storm Black Ops, Alienware, Voodoo Omen Quad FX, MurderMod, or even a non-custom standard issue Apple Mac Pro - all of which would not come near the silence - the Puget seems pretty reasonable in price.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:22 pm

ame wrote:Mike , I feel the need to clarify

I would buy it if I could. It looks like they did a better job than I could ever do in terms of silence. And I liked their professional attitude regarding the SNB flaw offering a fix so users can continue using their systems.
The surgeon, software engineer, or visual designer that will end up buying it are a very select few who this is catered for. Im sure they are happy with their buy. I know it is totally worth it for them.

That is what I was agreeing with in that Anand review's conclusion. Its made for a select few who can afford this type of markup. Even the reviewer wanted one. Lol, who wouldnt?

Where Im from too many people make only about $1000 a month. I myself drive a car that is not woth more than one of those systems sell for. (as revewed by SPCR). Every cent counts. So I try to make the most of it.

Typical boutiq builders around here will mark up 20-25%. sure they wouldnt go as far as Puget do. But there just isnt enough of a market to justify it.
I think there is some middle ground here. Yes, there are a fair number of people on this forum who are students, whose careers are just starting out, or who work in jobs that will never pay a lot of money (even if they are very honorable professions such as teaching).

However, to say that only a "select few" can afford these systems is going too far. Not everyone has the time, energy, or interest to build a custom PC, and if they have good jobs that pay well (don't have to be a surgeon to get a decent paying job in the US), and want a very quiet PC, it is worth the price IMO.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

MikeC wrote:You guys have to remember, a lot of you LIVE here. :lol:
Damm right, and some would probably otherwise be declared homeless.

Quiet computing is not the most expensive hobby around, but it's not the cheapest either.