[ADVICE needed] WC Dilemma

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ugotd8

[ADVICE needed] WC Dilemma

Post by ugotd8 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 am

I have a problem and a possible solution, was hoping to get some input here.

Ten months ago I bought the following setup (to cool an OC'ed I7-920) all from sidewinder:

Swiftech Apogee XT CPU waterblock
Swiftech MCP355 pump
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in Reservoir for Laing DDC (MCP355)
HW Labs Black Ice SR1 360 Carbon Black Triple 120mm Radiator
Bitspower fittings
MiniNG controller to control pump speed

The problem is that it gave me migraine headaches, that MCP355 has the nastiest little metallic sound that would just get into my head and by the end of each day my ears would be ringing so bad it made me consider heroin.

Even after I got the MiniNG and undervolted the pump I could still hear it.

Anyway, fast forward to today, I have a completely different rig. I even bought a new case. You can see my setup in my sig, sandy bridge, Raven RV02-B.

This time I am going for super-quiet, but I'm not quite at nirvana yet. My cooler is the V6GT and once I fire up prime95 those two fans are at 2200RPM (think Jet Propelled Aircraft).

So here is my basic question, can I mod the WC setup I have to be super-silent and more efficient ?

I'm thinking of keeping most of what I have and getting an MCP655 with speed control and an acrylic res foam mounted in the hard drive cage of my RV02.

Question of the day: would it be quieter? Silent? Which pump is totally silent ? Thanks !

tim851

Re: [ADVICE needed] WC Dilemma

Post by tim851 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 pm

I had a watercooled setup once. Nowadays my opinion is that WC is only for SLI or Crossfire.
If you just cool one CPU, a good aircooler is the way to go. Problem is, you didn't get one ;)

I don't think there's a way to just "mod" a shitty pump to silence. And I think you shouldn't reward Swiftech with more money and trust and just hope the MCP655 is any better.

Get a Prolimatech Megahalems with a nice fan (Scythe, Nexus, Blacknoise). Or a Thermalright Silver Arrow if that monster fits in your case.