New noiseless mouse from Nexus

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tephras

New noiseless mouse from Nexus

Post by Tephras » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: New noiseless mouse from Nexus

Post by frenchie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:05 am

Good find !! Anyone tried it yet around here ?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:11 am

Nice. :)

Pretty small though... The JSCO JNL-101K is already compact enough.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:53 am

Do want for the laptop instead of my loud, restless and sticky (yes, it was like that store-bought) MS mouse!

MatH

Post by MatH » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:44 am

Perhaps they'll make a left handed some day :roll:

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 am

Neat! Now where can I buy one? I don't see it on NewEgg or Froogle for the USA. :(

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Tephras wrote:Nexus Silent Mouse
Ok, I bought one of these. I received it yesterday and decided to try it tonight. The mouse itself looks nice and it is indeed very silent. I love it.

The only reason I might not replace my current mouse (Logitech MX Laser) with this Nexus Silent Mouse is because the Nexus mouse requires AA batteries and it doesn't have back/forward buttons. :(

If only Logitech made silent mice.....

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Ozkar wrote:
The only reason I might not replace my current mouse (Logitech MX Laser) with this Nexus Silent Mouse is because the Nexus mouse requires AA batteries and it doesn't have back/forward buttons. :(
I used to rue that too with laptop mice, but I don't mind another pair of rechargeable AA's that I can use around the house. The back/forward buttons have been hard enough to find in laptop mice as it is (and nowhere to be found on touchpads!), so I've given up and now use mouse gestures exclusively. :wink:

Good to know this is finally out there for purchase, can finally wave my clunky, sticky MS mouse goodbye!

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:
Ozkar wrote:
I used to rue that too with laptop mice, but I don't mind another pair of rechargeable AA's that I can use around the house. The back/forward buttons have been hard enough to find in laptop mice as it is (and nowhere to be found on touchpads!), so I've given up and now use mouse gestures exclusively. :wink:

Good to know this is finally out there for purchase, can finally wave my clunky, sticky MS mouse goodbye!
Well, after a full day of use, I'm going to have to stick with the Nexus Silent Mouse. I just LOVE the silence of it. I don't think I'll ever be able to use another non-silent mouse....

Besides, I just installed a Mouse Gestures add-on for Firefox, and it solved the problem of the missing back/forward buttons.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Ozkar wrote:Well, after a full day of use, I'm going to have to stick with the Nexus Silent Mouse. I just LOVE the silence of it. I don't think I'll ever be able to use another non-silent mouse....

Besides, I just installed a Mouse Gestures add-on for Firefox, and it solved the problem of the missing back/forward buttons.
That is excellent news! I am giddy with anticipation as I just ordered mine - it was half the price of the MS mouse I hate and haven't used since Q3 last year. :D

Other ways I circumvent the need for b/f mouse buttons: use Tree (Folders) view in Explorer, learn media player shortcut buttons by heart. It's surprisingly easy to live without, unless you game. Then you need those buttons as your (virtual) life may depend on it - but that's what my Deathadder is for.

sub

Post by sub » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm

I'm wondering who makes their silent patented microswitches

I'll be happy to order some to solder into my Ms mouse, can't live without back/forward buttons

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:04 am

Got my Silent Mouse today, 26 EUR.

After using it on the desktop for a while, I can say it is almost silent. The clicks are muted and the scroll wheel doesn't quite rattle, but both sounds are still there, the scroll wheel being the worst culprit. This is what one can safely call "quiet". Still, it's a hell of an improvement over my previous laptop mouse, so I guess that's something. I will gladly use this in quiet libraries from here on out.

I'm not particular to the "fuzzy" feel of the mouse (some sort of grippy coating), but at least it's not sticky and won't make the mouse slippery when hands get sweaty. Might make cleaning up harder, but that hasn't been a problem with my laptop mice anyway.

The production values on the manual, packaging and auxiliary design aspects of the product are a bit poor: there's typos and clumsy language everywhere (Nexys... who the hell typos the company name!), the blister pack is such a pain and the battery and receiver compartments could be improved. A bit disappointing in this day and age, but hey - 26 EUR vs 50 or 60, and it still does what it says on the label. The only functionality-related gripe is the lack of an On/Off switch.

Overall, 7/10 and a Good Buy for anyone wanting a silent mouse, just don't expect any miracles.

PS. The feet could be made of a slicker material to reduce the sound the mouse makes as it moves on a surface. The clicking and scrolling sounds might be further reduced if the mouse wasn't so hollow and lightweight, but I guess that's kind of the point for portable mice.

jamotide

Post by jamotide » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Now make one with a cable, and I'm a buyer. Batteries would annoy me, I think.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 am

I was happy with my Nexus silent mouse until I found out about the QuietSmooth mouse from quietmouse.com. I got to try it and it is definitely quieter than the Nexus mouse, especially the right mouse button. The right mouse button on the Nexus is much louder than the left, at least on the mouse I got. The QuietSmooth mouse from quietmouse.com is barely audible. I was impressed with it. They have the wireless version (which uses one AA battery) and a wired version. I made a video comparing the two mice against the loud Logitech MX 1000 Laser mouse (turn UP the volume of your speakers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbtpovRLpc

I'll be using both for a couple of weeks and I'll post my impressions.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm

The Nexus buttons certainly change in tone and volume depending on the angle I have my hand and fingers at. Have to press straight down to have the quietest sound I think.

The Quietsmooth mouse is definitely silent though, whereas the Nexus is not, not truly. I'm surprised at how cheaply they claim to ship outside the US and Canada.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 pm