Poll - are Sandy Bridge early adopters affected by the flaw?

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.

Whats your experience with Sandy Bridge?

I own it, Love it, Using SATA II with - no problems
33%
I own it, Love it, Using only SATA III - no problems
17%
I own it, disapointed, having SATA II problems
No votes
Don't own it, waiting for a FIX to buy it
17%
Don't own it, waiting for AMD Bulldozer
17%
I will never buy it, Just skip this generation of CPUs
17%
I will never buy an Intel CPU. I'm an AMD fanboy ;)
No votes

Total votes: 18

ame

Poll - are Sandy Bridge early adopters affected by the flaw?

Post by ame » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 am

We all know abut the flaw in 6 chipset http://www.silentpcreview.com/6_Series_Chip_Flaw

SPCR has typically been about quiet, low power, low voltage as possible, as opposed to extreme OC high voltage, high temps. Sandy Bridge seems ideal for just that - you get high performance for lower power.

If you don't own SNB, How do you feel about it now?
If you have a system are you having SATA II problems?

I've setup the poll so that you can change your vote if the flaw appears in you system over time
Last edited by ame on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

squash

Re: Poll - Are you Sandy Bridge early adopters affected?

Post by squash » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 am

I'm using 3 of the 4 ICH SATA 2 ports on my Asus P8P67 Pro. So far no problems and I am *VERY* happy with my system. I am giving Asus a couple more days before I ask them what they're going to do about the recall, but there is no way I am going back to my old system. I have to say, the Turbo multiplier method of overclocking is just Better than what we had before.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 am

I think I'll be waiting at least until the end of Q2, and hopefully I will be able to make an informed decision between Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer by then.

Then again, we might be saying the same thing in 2013 except Bulldozer will be planned as a 22nm release!

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm

I just finished an Asus P8P67 PRO build and am very happy with it (it's wicked fast). I'm glad I got in before the "freeze". I'm happy w/ the way Intel is handling it and expect Asus to swap the board out if I feel like it.

Given that I have 4 SATA III ports anyway which is plenty to handle a (future) SSD, primary HD, backup HD, and DVD, I'm not even sure I'll bother with getting the updated board.

pvone

Post by pvone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 pm

I've got a P8P67 Pro, running like a champ so far. Drives were on the SATA3s at first, but I switched them to the SATA6s while I was installing my belatedly-received Megahalems, cause might as well. It's no real issue for me - I'll keep using this until the new boards come out and then do a quick swap, and it's all taken care of. :)

ame

Re: Poll - are Sandy Bridge early adopters affected by the f

Post by ame » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks guys for posting comments. Keep up the good work.
So far it seems all end users are not having any problems. Guess its still to early to know.

I can say after 2 weeks, both my i7 2600 systems are running fine. Audio system is using its SATA II as storage disk. Video system uses SATA II as RAID 0 array for its primary media workspace and working around the clock !!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Shadout

Post by Shadout » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:23 am

Loving it is a strong word. I still have some minor issues like double boot screen (which 2 BIOS in a row should supposedly have fixed). Still, nothing serious.

I'm not even sure I'll get the board replaced tbh. I wont ever run lots and lots of hard drives so should be able to just use the 6G sata ports for hard drives/SSDs and 3G for optical drives.
And even if you do use the ports with hard drives, the risk of the ports dying seem pretty low (if one can trust Intels numbers).

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Some people are clearly overreacting over this. Read the anandtech article. Intel estimates that over the next 3 years, a certain percentage of motherboards might end up having unusable sata 2 ports. No data loss. Hardly catastrophic.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Shadout wrote:And even if you do use the ports with hard drives, the risk of the ports dying seem pretty low (if one can trust Intels numbers).
Do you think they over estimated the likelihood of failure or underestimated it?

Shadout

Post by Shadout » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 am

Someone claimed they estimated it by taking into consideration how many customers actually used the 3G ports, so I guess the chance of failure if you use the ports might actually be a lot higher than those 5-15%. Hard to say though. It would be surprising if they overestimated it at least, they wouldn't gain anything from that.

Pretty much trusting their numbers and don't think there is much to worry about for most users.

ame

Post by ame » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 am

Its impossible to say right now. The numbers of 5-15% are over a priod of 3 years. It could be that typical fail will start happening only after a year or two. Who knows?

Current end users are own the systems for a month if they were lucky enough to get it at launch.

I don't recall seeing any review site, that possibly has this chipset for a longer time, report any fail. If anyone knows please post a link.

Otherwise its good until.... :-0

ces

Post by ces » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 am

ame wrote:Its impossible to say right now. The numbers of 5-15% are over a priod of 3 years. It could be that typical fail will start happening only after a year or two. Who knows?
My question was a rhetorical one :)

They have no incentive to overestimate. They have every incentive to underestimate. And there is no way for anyone to verify what they are saying. This is true even for internal Intel estimates (you think the VP supervising the design is going to go out of his way to make it look worse to his boss... or maybe shade it toward being not quite as bad as it is). This is more so for the external estimates provided to the public.

I personally don't think that it is plausible that they would voluntarily spend $1 Billion correcting an error as minor as the one they claim to be correcting. They caught it early before too many bad boards got out. They could fix it with $100M of free addon cards and a $20M to $100M class action settlement (no damages means not much of a class action).

What monetary damages can you have with a free addon card? "Oh but it will hurt their reputation." Yeah sure... everyone will then run over to buy AMD. I don't think so. Intel customer loyalty is based on superior product not on a reputation of greater reliability than AMD. If AMD came up with even an equal product, Intel would lose millions of customers right away - just from currently "loyal" customers who would prefer to use another vendor. Whatever minor damage to their reputation there has been, occurred with the initial announcement and was unavoidable.

The people running Intel are not slow witted people. They don't waste money on a needless recall over a defect that is no worse than the standard fare many electronics manufacturers sell as a matter of course. Think Apple's "can you hear me now" antenna problem. That was a real problem - the iphone has only one antennae - if it doesn't work that is a big problem. Did they waste $1B recalling that? Did Apple lose any customers over it?

The Intel recall means that all the evidence of whatever the problem is will soon disappear... and anyone keeping a board and then foolishly complaining about it in the future will be disregarded as an wacky whiner. We will never truly know how badly they screwed up.
Last edited by ces on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ame

Post by ame » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 am

+1