Rubber foam lining the case - a good idea?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

El_Duderino

Rubber foam lining the case - a good idea?

Post by El_Duderino » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:56 am

Hi, I just cut up pieces of rubber foam from an old mattress to fit in my case (ceiling, floor and side walls), but I'm slightly apprehensive about not having heard about this before - it seems to be too good (and cheap) an idea to pass up.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work or will it kill my computer? :-)

Thanks for any help...

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:40 pm

ive heard of someone doing that before but i dont know how it turned out, i also heard of someone that lined the intire inside of the case with mouse pads. Ill probably experiment with both soon.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:25 pm

Well I guess it will dampen some noise.. just make the sure the air can still go in and out!

I did a similar thing on another pc here, I put bubblewrap in my case. It stopped quite a lot of noise! And the good thing is, it's free :D

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:14 pm

It will dampen noise, it is similar to dampening material you can buy quite cheaply. But just be careful not to seal any vent holes inside your case. Also watch out for it to be in close contact with hot components as this may cause it to catch fire, since we don't know if the material you are using is flammable, unlike the dampening material you buy which has been specifically tested.

Dampening material may increase the overall temperture of your case and hence the cpu as well. Just keep a check on it and everything should be fine. :lol:

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:53 am

should be fine as long as it doesn't break up... you don't want little particles of that stuff building up on your components, or bigger chunks getting stuck in a fan. double sided tape works well when attaching it to the case and making sure it doesn't come loose.