Is it illegal to download free remixes?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Is it illegal to download free remixes?

Post by Gxcad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Wondering about the legality of downloading and keeping freely distributed remixes of tracks where the original costs money. I assume its technically illegal but am not totally sure, since so many remixes of songs exist out there AND often are sold on the market.

ces

Re: Is it illegal to download free remixes?

Post by ces » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Gxcad wrote:Wondering about the legality of downloading and keeping freely distributed remixes of tracks where the original costs money. I assume its technically illegal but am not totally sure, since so many remixes of songs exist out there AND often are sold on the market.
They are called derivative works. Someone owns the underlying rights and you need their permission to do anything with it, for profit, for free or anything - downloading, uploading, sideloading or whatever.

colm

Post by colm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm

not illegal..

displaying it as your own work for your projects is a problem however. I still get the notices on you tube.. no song says what it is or what the rights are until you find out the hard way.

remember tape deck days recording local radio songs.. it is still like that today, but with a pc.

the 99 cents a song stuff is evil...a radio can play it for free.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Gxcad

A tech blog maybe isn't the best place to ask a legal question. I think you should go find a blog with lawyers on it and put the question there.

There are many legal questions that can have multiple or even conflicting answers. Your question is not one of those. Your question is one that has only a single clear answer. It is sort of like global warming... there is no well informed argument about whether or not it is occurring. And there is no well informed argument about what the answer to your question is.

And if you put your question on a lawyers blog you will get a unanimous response with no dissenting opinions. I would encourage you to do that.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, ces, as well as colm for the reply.

Was merely curious, thought I'd chat it up in SPCR's 'pub'. To be totally honest I cannot be bothered to go to the trouble of properly finding out a definitive answer. I do download them occasionally and I rarely look back. I figure if the music exists and it is freely being distributed, yet not the same as the original, with no option to purchase, why not download and enjoy them.

Can be a sensitive topic though.

nzdcoy

Post by nzdcoy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm

colm wrote:the 99 cents a song stuff is evil...a radio can play it for free.
Its not free for the radio station though....