Any Fractal Design Define R3 owners?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Haych

Any Fractal Design Define R3 owners?

Post by Haych » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:43 am

If there are, would you be able to help me out and measure the sound proofing material on the side panels for me? I'm seriously thinking about buying this case, but I want to mod it and put a side window in. I'm not certain what sort of room that's going to leave for a cpu heatsink though. So if somebody could measure the thickness of the soundproofing, that would really help me out with my calculations.

Thanks in advance.

phabean

Re: Any Fractal Design Define R3 owners?

Post by phabean » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:01 am

If you remove the sound dampening material (rather thin) to cut out a window, you would actually gain 3-4 mm in width. I can tell you tonight how thick the material is. Be aware that the sidepannels are really thin and "woobly", don't know if you run into stabilty issues once you cut out a window.

regards,
phaben

Haych

Post by Haych » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:29 pm

I bought the R3 last month but never thought to state as much on this thread :oops:. That you did reply is greatly appreciated though. I'm still thinking I'll be cutting it close for space as I'm planning on installing a TRUE 120 rev.C as the CPU cooler, and that is 160mm high. Plus a total of 5mm for the U channel and the acrylic sheet for the window. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained :wink:

Stori

Post by Stori » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Case Steel thickness 0.84mm(approx)
Dampening material 2.8 mm (approx)
I used a dial micrometer on the Steel case and a Vernier Calliper on the dampening material.

Total thickness would be the sum of the above i.e. approx 3.6 mm to 1 decimal place

Stori

Post by Stori » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Haych wrote:I bought the R3 last month but never thought to state as much on this thread :oops:. That you did reply is greatly appreciated though. I'm still thinking I'll be cutting it close for space as I'm planning on installing a TRUE 120 rev.C as the CPU cooler, and that is 160mm high. Plus a total of 5mm for the U channel and the acrylic sheet for the window. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained :wink:
If the Dimensions of the Thermalright TRUE 120 rev.C are (L) 63.44mm x (W) 132mm x (H) 160.5mm including the fan housing, then you should have approx 6.5 mm clearance between it and the Dampening Material.
Adding the 5mm acrylic after removing the 2.8 mm dampening material from the steel panel should at least give you a 'mighty' 4 mm of Clearance (based on acrylic window being placed on the inside of the Steel panel and assuming my calculations are correct :wink: :lol: )

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 pm

The manufacturer Fractal Design have also been planning to come out with a windowed side accessory for these cases, just in case you'd consider waiting a while to see if that happens. Drop them an email if you're interested, they want to hear about what users want to see.

phabean

Post by phabean » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Stori wrote:Case Steel thickness 0.84mm(approx)
I used a dial micrometer on the Steel case and a Vernier Calliper on the dampening material.

Total thickness would be the sum of the above i.e. approx 3.6 mm to 1 decimal place
:wink: faster!

Haych

Post by Haych » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 am

Stori wrote:Case Steel thickness 0.84mm(approx)
I used a dial micrometer on the Steel case and a Vernier Calliper on the dampening material. Total thickness would be the sum of the above i.e. approx 3.6 mm to 1 decimal place
This is why I like SPCR. I have no idea what a dial micrometer or a Vernier Calliper are, and I certainly wouldn't think to buy one. Yet, some decent soul uses them to give me some measurements to help me with a case mod I'm planning. Thank you very much, Stori.
Stori wrote:Adding the 5mm acrylic after removing the 2.8 mm dampening material from the steel panel should at least give you a 'mighty' 4 mm of Clearance (based on acrylic window being placed on the inside of the Steel panel and assuming my calculations are correct :wink: :lol: )
I'm only using 3mm acrylic for the window, and if I forego the U channel and just use 'Tape of the Gods' (providing the cut out is clean and filed smooth) that would give me a 'lofty' 6mm of clearance between the TRUE and the window. I'm contemplating lapping the TRUE if it needs it for better contact, and that may give me 1mm. Which means a possible 7mm clearance, which is just crazy :lol:
mkk wrote:The manufacturer Fractal Design have also been planning to come out with a windowed side accessory for these cases, just in case you'd consider waiting a while to see if that happens. Drop them an email if you're interested, they want to hear about what users want to see.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Fractal Design are planning to do that. Certainly, I do recall looking at a forum thread on one tech site (possibly Bit-Tech) where a FD rep was asking what people wanted for the Arc case(s). It was pointed out then, and I'm happy to echo the point now, that this is what makes me believe Fractal are a company that will continue to do well, simply because they are prepared to undertake such a basic task and get input from the community. Rather than following the logic of other case manufacturers who just put out a new product and think we'll love it, like the salivating dogs we obviously are.

I don't think I'll email them though, as I suspect that if they do release a windowed side panel, it will just be a clear acrylic. And I'm planning on buying a piece of purple acrylic for the window, to help with the colour theme for my next rig. Incidentally, if anyone knows where I can maybe purchase the whole gamut of female PSU connectors in a dark green colour, please let me know.