andyb
Patron of SPCR

Anandtech preview of next gen Sandforce SSD

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 am

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Anandtech preview of next gen Sandforce SSD

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 am

I just got to page 4 - its as awsome as I had hoped it would be.

Andy

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Yet another Anandtech preview, same drive as in the link above but this time it is the consumer version. There is also a review of it over at StorageReview.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Looks like they resolved/muted the compressed data issue. Very pretty.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't know.

No-one is complaining that current SSDs were too slow. The key issue is they're too expensive. Making one x times faster at a slightly higher price point isn't exciting news to me. Making it decidedly cheaper at the same speed point, now that would be awesome. SSD prices have been a little too stable for my liking in the past year. What good are high transfer rates, if the majority of people can only afford one as a boot/OS drive? All those high transfer speeds are in vain because you're always copying too/from slow hard disks.

Give me the performance of the first-gen Intel SSD, but at a somewhat reasonable 500 gig for 300$ ... it would still be insanely high, but I'd seriously consider it.

nagi

Post by nagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:44 am

tim851 wrote:I don't know.

No-one is complaining that current SSDs were too slow. The key issue is they're too expensive. Making one x times faster at a slightly higher price point isn't exciting news to me. Making it decidedly cheaper at the same speed point, now that would be awesome. SSD prices have been a little too stable for my liking in the past year. What good are high transfer rates, if the majority of people can only afford one as a boot/OS drive? All those high transfer speeds are in vain because you're always copying too/from slow hard disks.

Give me the performance of the first-gen Intel SSD, but at a somewhat reasonable 500 gig for 300$ ... it would still be insanely high, but I'd seriously consider it.
While you are right on the price point, the fast SSDs help me tremendiously: they could actually be used instead of a regular RAID array for fast storage in HD capture (RAW 1080p is really-really disk intensive). Without the extra mechanical noise, heat etc. Currently, the high end drives are a godsend, but most other ones (hell, even the Intel X25-M and Corsair F40 as I see from reviews) do not cut it, unless I raid a couple of them together, and that will kill TRIM support, thus, the much needed speed. (Except enterprise kingston drives.)

So yes, I want to have a higher write rate for random data, although I do realize my needs are quite special. ;)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:27 am

There is also a review of it over at StorageReview.
The real-world benchmarks look great.
I follow your sentiment, but I have to disagree in the same way that if you were talking about a previous generation CPU/RAM setup, e.g. a P4 3GHz + 512MB RAM. I am sure that you would prefer a much faster system and would be happy to pay for it.

As the proud owner of a second generation "Indilinx Barefoot" SSD, I cant possibly reccomend it more, loet alone a faster 3rd gen drive.

Yes I would really like to have a larger capacity model, however the 64GB drive that I have is perfectly fine so long as you have a second HDD to install programs on that simply dont need more performance, or to stick your data onto that really does not need a fast drive. 64GB is just fine, 120GB would be fantastic, and I simply dont know what I would do with a drive that is bigger than that.

I would also love to be able to have a choice of being able to buy a fast (second generation) SSD at a much reduced cost compared to the almost out "third generation" drives that are insanely fast, however the manufacturers control the market, and they are doing a good job of forcing buyers to spend xxx per GB regardless of the generation of the drives available - this of course simply means that the cost difference between generations of SSD's means that its not worth saving a few quid on the slower model.

I am hoping to buy a "third generation" drive that is a larger capacity than my existing one and have that in my main PC, and then put my old SSD into an AMD Brazos sub-notebook.

Andy

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 am

Hopefully, they can lower the power consumption? The Storage Review article speculates that it is a firmware issue.

CA_Steve

120GB Vertex 3 reviewed at Anandtech

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:26 am

Review

Looks nice. Big hit on speed with less populated card esp with compressed data.