Xigmatec "Gaia" SD1283

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

djkest

Xigmatec "Gaia" SD1283

Post by djkest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 pm

I searched- I couldn't find any threads to discuss this in that wouldn't be a NECRO thread because it origionally came out several years ago.

So it looks like the GAIA SD1283 is the spiritual successor the the HDT-1283 which is highly regarded. I just bought one and installed it on a socket AM2 motherboard. I was impressed with the bolt-through universal mounting system it comes with, the decent quality fan with great rubber fan mounts, and it's not super heavy either. The packaging was good. Installation was time consuming but a breeze. I'm guessing this would work great on socket 775, 1156, and 1155 motherboards as well. Being only $30, it's pretty cheap.

I think the only changes to the first model are the new mounting system, and I didn't see a spoiler included in this one. Perhaps it was largely pointless. The provided 120mm PWM fan isn't that great, but I've also seen much worse.

I replaced another Xigmatec product with this, the EC-C901 which is horribly loud and not that efficient. The difference is night and day.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Re: Xigmatec "Gaia" SD1283

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 am

I've looked the Gaia, its reviews and were seriously thinking to buy it. Its very nice and allows dual fan set-up. Retail price is here 29€'s vs. 57€ Xigmatek's Netarpark or Balder or 55€'s of Xigmatek Thors Hammer. The mounting system looks very nice indeed, Xigmatek has improved that. I got HDT-S1283 RedScorpion. It performs wonderfull so there's no doubt about Gaia is good performer. I'll just get Crossbow to get my RedScorpion LGA 1155 compatible is far cheaper than to get Gaia, even Gaia is quite cheap. Performance difference should be almost non-existent with one fan I guess.

If I'd be buying a cooler now, I'd probably buy Gaia. It looks real good contender and very fair price.