[Which] 1TB "green" drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gudas

[Which] 1TB "green" drive?

Post by Gudas » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:04 am

Hi guys.
I need a small advice.
I'm planning to swap the old WD6400AAKS for a new, slow-rotation 1TB drive. It dosn't need to be super fast (SSD for system drive, this only for data), the priority is silence. It will go to a aluminium box also.

Here are the candidates:

1. Samsung F2 EG
2. Seagate B-Green
3. Western Digital WD10EARS

Do you have experience with some of them? Whitch one do you suggest?

Thanks for replies :)

CoolColJ

Re: Whitch 1TB "green" drive?

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:20 am

Why bother with the older drives?

My advice would be to get the newer, faster and better 2TB 5.4k drives and only use the first half - ie just create some partitions only using the first half.
Bam there's your quiet and fast 1TB HD 8)

I'm happy with my new Samsung F4EG. I've always stuck with Samsung drives. Not a single issue thus far.

Notice how the speed drops? Short stroke it to 1TB and you'll be happy. Not much of a difference price wise between 1and 2 TB drives. The 2TB drives are pretty cheap as is

Gudas

Post by Gudas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:48 am

CoolColJ wrote: Bam there's your quiet and fast 1TB HD 8)
Yeah, but i need only the "quiet part", speed is not an issue :) (already have an 128 gig SSD with SandForce controller)
Anyway, do you notice any unpleasant vibrations on your Samsung F4? So far, my only bad experience with Samsung drives were slightly stronger vibrations than on other HDDs in that price/capacity range.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Gudas wrote:
CoolColJ wrote: Bam there's your quiet and fast 1TB HD 8)
Yeah, but i need only the "quiet part", speed is not an issue :) (already have an 128 gig SSD with SandForce controller)
Anyway, do you notice any unpleasant vibrations on your Samsung F4? So far, my only bad experience with Samsung drives were slightly stronger vibrations than on other HDDs in that price/capacity range.

No, nothing like the 7.2k Samsung drives of the past. Every generation is different

You still have to read and write to the HD in any case, I'd rather do that at >100+ MB/S than 60 that's for sure :)
Short stroking will improve access time as well.