My 24/7 cruncher (56k be aware)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matthew9226

My 24/7 cruncher (56k be aware)

Post by Matthew9226 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 am

Hello.
Decided that my first post would be here :)
My previous rig (Q9550-460GTX SLI-780i SLI-TX650 etcetc) was pretty much noisy as hell.
So I sold it mid-january and decided to build my new pc as silent as I could with limited resources.
And for the curious ones, here's a pic of the old machine:

New components:
Asucks P8P67-M (replacing it to P8P67-M Pro B3 next month)
i5 2500K @4Ghz cooled by Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 which stock fan swapped to Scythe Gentle Typhoon 92mm 1700rpm
2x4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 Team Group Elite
eVGA 8800GTS 320
Seasonic S12II 380
2x 1Tb HDD and 1x bluray
1x Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1450rpm + 2x AC F8 Pro PWM
And all stuffed into Cooler Master Centurion 540

*snip snip ugly looking picture when it is so big*
I'll add more pictures of the insides when I have the time to take photos :D Probably later today

E: Okay. Finally got around to shutting down my computer as it finished a ROQS wu to aqua.
So, some pictures now.

I paid 30euros for this case, and I absolutely love it. Previous case I had was a humongous Fractal which I didn't like at all and it cost me almost 100euros discluding shipping grrr
And the front end of this CM, wow, only 30euros and it feels/looks to me alot more higher quality than the one on the previous case.
You'll probably notice the PST sticker, yeah it's crooked but I don't mind :lol:

I also showed the front and rear end fan meshes a little *snip snip* and now the air flows MUCH better.
Before if I put my hand on the front surface of the case where the fan is, I couldn't feel the air flow, now it is very much present.

It's a bit messy inside but I did all I could to hide them wires.
About the future..
Im going to swap my psu to Enermax Modu87+ 500 before the end of summer.
Also when I change the psu the 8800GTS goes to retirement as I'm planning on to get a 550Ti or perhaps 560Ti from nVidia.
We'll see.

So, what do you think of my boincer?
Comments very very welcome :)
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod linked directly to pictures

vodokotlic

Re: My 24/7 cruncher (56k be aware)

Post by vodokotlic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 pm

How come you've ditched that twin tower cooler in favor of what is basically small and old tower cooler? Incompatible mounting system?
Anyway, impressive to see the freezer coping with modern overclocked quadcore boincing :?: :D all day long

Matthew9226

Post by Matthew9226 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Nah, I just decided to start from scratch so I just sold it all at once.
And since I wanted a smaller case and that D14 wouldn't have fitted inside this case..
And yeah, that freezer+GT combo is doing just fine, currently I have a bit modest oc on the 2500K, only 4Ghz but thats enough for me right now.
Temps hovering usually around 50-60
Maybe when I get the new psu+gpu I'll invest in a Noctua C14 and oc the 2500K to the max.
Dunno though if it will fit in the case, since it looks a bit _huge_

Now when I play Bad Company 2 multiplayer on 32player map, 8800GTS gpu usage 98%, and cpu cores hovering somewhere around 60%
So I think I'll be needing more horsepower from the cpu when I'll have a faster gpu :lol:

But I gotta say, the 92mm Gentle Typhoon I have there on the cpu cooler, it is just amazing.
I have it running all the time at it's max, which is 1700rpm and to be honest, I cannot hear it.
Same with the F8 Pro PWM's I have here.
Complete silence at 21-45% speed and only little noise when 45-75%.
The F8's will speed up to near max only if the cpu temps rise above certain point, same with the 120mm GT, which I have running at 60-70% most of the time.
Speeds set at AI Suite II Fan xpert

The most noisy part of the system now is the psu, the ADDA fan on it is too loud to my liking under load.
That's why the plans on changing it, of which I mentioned earlier.
Exhaust air of the seasonic aint even that warm to the hand..

PMcG

Post by PMcG » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm

BTW what did you dislike about the fractal if you mind my asking. I am thinking of going a define mini for my next build.