Ribbons in "Windows 8"?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andymcca

Ribbons in "Windows 8"?

Post by andymcca » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 am

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... ce-windows
Cue collective groan.
The article also mentions 8 will support ARM ISA et al

Fire-Flare

Re: Ribbons in "Windows 8"?

Post by Fire-Flare » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Not a bad idea for touch-only interfaces and computer newbies, but the option to have the standard appearance would certainly be preferred by most users.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:Not a bad idea for touch-only interfaces
Good catch. That could very well be the reason for going all-ribbon. It's definitely more usable than trying to navigate cascading drop-down menus with your finger.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 am

That is an interesting point which I had not considered. I am not sure pull down menus with icons wouldn't have worked, too, though :)

Honestly my only problem with the ribbons is that they are impossible to scan for what you need (ie scanning left-to-right is not natural, and the icons are not ordered in a single dimension). Vertical ribbons, maybe? Oh, and please tell me what the hotkeys are :(

With an OS I suppose there will be fewer options you need to go hunting for (as long as they don't do something stupid to Control Panel), and maybe the ribbons would annoy me less.

As for the new user argument: I've never really understood this. For computer-illiterate people, it does not matter what you put on the screen. They will never find it. [edit: what I mean is that graphical icons cannot correspond with most technical commands. What does 'copy' look like? This is the same reason road signs are still not universal. What does 'speed limit' look like?] With computer literate people keywords seem optimal. But I guess that's the whole old argument coming back in. My mantra: choice :(

ces

Post by ces » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 am

andymcca wrote:My mantra: choice
The whole purpose of a monopoly is to block the exercise of choice. Otherwise what good is it?

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 am

Indeed. I'm all for user interface experimentation as long as there is choice built into the system. In other words I don't want Microsoft to experiment much....

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 pm

If there is no choice, and public outcry doesn't warrant Microsoft to release a patch for it, then someone else will release a modified shell that removes the ribbon.

ces

Post by ces » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Actual interview Question: "How would you market ping pong balls if ping pong itself became obsolete? List many ways, then pick one and go into detail." -- Microsoft (MSFT)

"Now, replace "ping pong balls" with "Windows System", and everything makes sense!"

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/ ... questions/