Replace my Stock Compound?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DJCoryMinto

Replace my Stock Compound?

Post by DJCoryMinto » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm

I just bought an MSI P7N Diamond motherboard... Due to the configuration of stock heatpipes going to 5 locations (NB, SB, a few other places), I really can't replace the heatsinks, or at least I won't. But should I replace the stock thermal compound underneath it? Yes, I know that if I were to replace the sinks, of course I should put on some AS5 or the equivalent... But should I go out of my way to replace the compound, given that I'm NOT replacing the sinks? How much of a difference can a compound alone make? :?:

NeilBlanchard

Re: Replace my Stock Compound?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Are you seeing high temperatures? I can't think that the compound can make a very big difference.

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Wouldn't bother unless you were seeing ridiculous heat levels.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:09 am

Well, the NB comes with a small fan attached to it -- it's whiny and I'm definitely not keeping it. That will increase the NB temps markedly I would think, so I'm trying to combat it. I don't know what temps are normal for this board -- I haven't been able to find that info.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 am

I heard that you'd want to keep the temps under 80c, and about 100c would be the shutdown temp. That can't be, can it?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm

What is the rest of your set up? You may well get enough air movement from the CPU heatsink fan, or the case fan. I think sometimes manufacturers put fans on things to make you think they are more serious, higher performance or something. Little 40mm fans can barely move much air, so with some ducting or a baffle, you can probably direct the air flow from the much larger fans in the system.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:19 am

Sorry for the delayed reply -- I'm still testing etc.

I use water-cooling on my CPU and GPU... I can not use the NB watercooling block because the proprietary heatpipe cooling sinks on this board connect to 5 locations. I could remove the NB sink but then I'd have to sever the pipes leading to the other locations. Maybe this wouldn't be suck a bad thing? I am using 4 case fans to get air movement also.