Logitech G330 headset impressions?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Logitech G330 headset impressions?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 am

Since SPCR got into reviewing equipment that is actually MEANT to produce sound, let me fish for some quick impressions of this headset, the Logitech G330 neckband.

I am mostly interested in gaming with it, as I listen to AV media through a pair of active studio monitors. Gaming entails long sessions (wearing comfort), voicecomm (microphone clarity), good positional audio (sound direction) and decent sound quality (won't break or tire ears).

The long split of the connectors on the G330 is what I need in my rig, something most cheap headsets forgo. The G330 also has other nice touches like silicone lining, jointed elements, adjustable band and decent enough padding for wearing comfort and an adjustable and rotatable microphone for voicecomm, but I have no idea how it would perform in action.

This is where I need your impressions, as I've exhausted most online resources. If you know of better neckband alternatives for up to 50 EUR, do let me know of those too.

PS. I am looking for neckband 'phones in particular as headbands hurt my head.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Logitech G330 headset impressions?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 am

Found this for cheap (25 bux) and decided to give it a go. Result: disappointment.

All the positive reviews on the internet, even on sites that seemed reputable and not just buyer/user reviews, proved false. The sound is pretty much horrible compared to my SteelSeries Siberias: the bass is an overflowing mess, all other frequencies mix into a cacophony and there is no real positional audio to be found because of these facts. The microphone, however, is excellent, and the provided stick-adapter is quite good at what it does (just lacks an EQ option).

Verdict: avoid. Buy proper, big headphones to use for gaming and, well, everything else too.

Now to find me a nice, wide and comfy headband that won't make my scalp hurt...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 pm

I've been looking for a similar product. All NewEgg opinions are pretty much thumbs down.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Can't say I'm surprised.

As I'm writing this, enough time has passed for tempers to have cooled, and I can still safely say the G330 is a poor choice as a headset. I've been meaning to sell mine but haven't gotten around to it, so I had the questionable pleasure of trying it out a few times after the initial testing... every time I find myself annoyed by the poor, poor sound quality.

It is simply unacceptable for any serious use.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Since I'm not gaming I decided to try these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826402067

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Now to find me a nice, wide and comfy headband that won't make my scalp hurt...
What else have you tried? I love my sony MDR V6's. I use them almost daily. I replaced the sh1tty stock ear pads with Beyerdynamic velour pads.

The MDR-V6's have been around for so long, they have a wikipedia page. They're solid, but the vinyl ear pad material gets flaky pretty quickly. The Beyer replacement pads are thicker, softer, and breathe - a massive upgrade in comfort.

I use a little $10 Zalman clip-on microphone that attaches to the phones cord for gaming. My friends complain that my voice is a little too bass heavy (prob a result of off-axis mic, though it's supposed to be omni pattern), but never that I'm too quiet. It's good enough.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:58 pm

I've tried many things over the years (Sennheiser, AKG, Koss, Sony... even Creative and Labtec), started with studio Sennheisers (looked like the Sony MDR-V6 but beefier and more expensive) and ended up with the Steelseries Siberias (v1). The headphones I used the longest before the Siberias was a pair of cheap (50 €) Sony CD-380s. They were sweaty, plastic things but they fit my head perfectly and the sound was okay.

The Zalman microphone is sort of legendary (lack of competition?) by now, but I can retain the Siberia clip-on which is decent. The cord design is just poor because the "anchors" are on the headphones cable and not the mic side. I could consider headphones from this standpoint, but modern headsets offer such nice muting and positioning features that I'd rather choose one of those.

The Steelseries 4H is looking good right now. No frills, thick headband, affordable and I've been pleased with their products so far.

Those Audio-Technicas look rather unique. I guess the wire band can work if the headphones are light and your hair is thick.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 pm

aristide1 wrote:Since I'm not gaming I decided to try these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826402067
Reporting in on these after a week or so of ownership. They are light and comfortable. They appear to fit either way, but they have a clear left/right distinction when trying them on, but they are not marked left and right. That's rather odd. The stiff wire headband is not causing any problems, I barely know it's there.

I'm gave them a couple of hours of break-in. I was hoping the bass response would improve but they are still bass shy. They are very efficient (loud!) so my volume settings are all reduced, which should mean less distortion going into the headphones.

The main goals were for them to sound decent without giving me wicked tinnitus outbreaks or headaches after extended use. They have met these goals. A little more bass would be nice, but listening to anything on the web is not something to be taken all that seriously. If I were to build a dedicated sound server PC I would opt for a sound card with high quality op-amps or replaceable op-amps and better 'phones that this low cost pair.

The parts that actually touch the ear appear to be a leatherette type product. No need to replace open cell foam every six months or go with any foam. Since they rest on the ear instead of encasing it you don't end up with long term sweaty ears. Your ears still breathe, at the expense of bass capabilities. It's a fair exchange.

Bad - The cord is very short. I'm relying on a very long extension.

I'd recommend them as long as their limitations are not an issue for you. I have no idea how loud they will play, and have no intention of finding out.