Intel Core i5-2500
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ ULNA
Noctua NF-S12B ULN
4GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
WD10EALX (suspended)
WD10EARS (suspended)
LG GH22NS50
Asus Essence STX

It's even faster and quieter than I imagined. Very happy with the way it turned out. Cable management isn't impeccable, but I'm happy with it.

Edit: I also purchased a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard to go along with this system which is amazingly quiet while typing and also very handy at night!

CA_Steve

Re: Antec Solo + Sandy Bridge build

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Congrats!

matva

Post by matva » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:38 pm

sexy. good job man

rojover

Post by rojover » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 am

Hi Falkon,

I'm considering a similar setup, with the EVO version of that asus mobo.
My question is, there's enough room for a discrete gpu using that heatsink? Or the hs takes too much space on such cramped mobos?

Thanks!

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 pm

You know, I was looking at the discrete GPU as I installed the Noctua HSF and to be honest it seems like things may be somewhat cramped. The heatsink itself definitely leaves more than adequate room for a GPU, but the fan overhangs a little bit making it less definitive. The position of the fan on the heatsink can be adjusted quite a bit, probably +/- 1/4" in each direction, so you should be able to move it into a position that doesn't block anything.

Also, it seems like just about everything in a PC has some sort of size standard to adhere to, so I couldn't imagine any major manufacturer putting out a product that would disable certain scenarios that should work without a hitch in theory.

In short, yes, I think you should be able to add a discrete GPU to a system like this, although it may not be quite a simple and quick as it would be on a full sized ATX board.

On another note, I just found out about AHCI mode for SATA ports, and that boards default to the older IDE mode. Some people say you can only use AHCI with Windows 7 if it was enabled when you installed the OS. That wasn't the case for me, but I found a quick and simple registry workaround that fixed that problem in about 5 minutes. It basically made the OS check for AHCI and installed the driver for it after a restart.

AHCI offers good features like hotswapping and native command queuing, the latter being of particular interest to me as it should in theory reduce noise and increase the life of a drive. Make sure you enable AHCI before installing the OS if you want to use it!