Reserator + Ati 5970 ....

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Doggles

Reserator + Ati 5970 ....

Post by Doggles » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 am

Hi i've read through various froums but have not been able to figure out several things about using a reserator from zalman,

These being could I use a seperate GPU block from a 3rd party to cool my 5970 - like EK? and still attach it to the reserator, I was intending to use two reserators in a chain as i don't think that one would be sufficent to ccol the card and my cpu which is a 720,

I've also tried to find out if I can change the tubing to make it flow more & the pump but i don't know which would be compatable.

I'm complately new to this as i've always just used air, but the noise is getting to me now.

thanks in advance!

Olle P

Re: Reserator + Ati 5970 ....

Post by Olle P » Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 pm

At the price of two Reserators you could buy separate parts to build an even better solution yourself.

The exact composition might depend on your use of the computer.
- If it's up and running at full load 24/7 (Folding or SETI or something) you need an efficient radiator. Personally I'd opt for a wall mounted convector of the type used to heat rooms.
- If it's not working hard more than a couple of hours a day you can get by with a lesser radiator combined with a big reservoir. 25 litres of water is sufficient to absorb the heat of a longer gaming session even without any cooling at all (if it starts at room temperature)!

Cheers
Olle

velis

Post by velis » Mon May 23, 2011 4:39 am

Naturally, this works. All you have to provide are appropriate tubing connectors. I have CPU E8400 + NB + PowerColor 5870 LCS (EK waterblock) all on Res2.
But know that even two res1 units probably won't be able to cool a 5970, at least passively. My setup gets quite warm when gaming. It's borderline hot to be honest - I can just still place my hand on the unit and not feel like I burned it....

philje123

Post by philje123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:02 am

I am currently using a dual Reserator setup. I was lucky I guess that I bought the first one on offer then got the second one (just the tower) for the cost of shipping £13.

I have changed the pump in it to an Eheim 600. The standard one is an Eheim 300 (600 and 300 litres per hour respectively).

The new pump does fit without any problems really. Just a bit bigger and make sure you don't push it right down into the hole as this will block the flow.

Also another mod you can do is to put a tube inside each Reserator coming from the inlet on them to the top of the tower. This then forces the water to flow up to the top of the tower rather than getting circulated straight back out.

My Setup (in order):

Reserator 1 v2 with Eheim 600
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz (G0- 95W TDP)
Northbridge (XFX 780i SLi)
GPU (8800GTX- 185W TDP)
Southbridge
Reserator 1 (blue one)
Then back to the Reserator 1 v2

Just been playing GTA 4 and Test Drive Unlimited 2 and temps are:

GPU 50c
CPU 39c (Core 1- 33c Core 2- 32c Core 3- 23 Core 4- 27c)
Northbridge 34c

Phil