low-profile aftermarket cooler for HD6870, or other ideas

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xtravar

low-profile aftermarket cooler for HD6870, or other ideas

Post by xtravar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I have a HD6870 in an Antec NSK2480, which means it barely fits (in fact, I had to widdle down the power connectors since they're on top, but that's another story).

I've looked at all the popular aftermarket coolers, but it seems they don't take into account the centered nature of the 6800 series chip on the PCB. Anything that wants to hang off the end seems like a no-go (VF3000A, Gelid Icy Vision, etc). Thermalright Shaman seems short enough, but it's way too wide - I want my case to close.

If anybody has any good suggestions regarding getting this card quieter, short of buying a new case or water cooling, I'd appreciate them.

I've got approximately 9.5x4x2.25 inches to work with (240x100x57mm) and the GPU is in the center of the PCB.

Thanks!

lodestar

Re: low-profile aftermarket cooler for HD6870, or other idea

Post by lodestar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 am

Maybe the Arctic Accelero L2 Pro at 120 x 96 x 52 http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/2 ... 2-pro.html.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 am

Which model 6870 have you got? Perhaps you could remove the stock fan and plastic shroud, and replace it with one or two 80/92mm case fans attached with twist ties or similar?

xtravar

Post by xtravar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:45 am

The Accelero looks like it *might* work depending which direction it goes on, and whether they include the whole thing in their measurements (I noticed some vendors don't count the fan, etc). Might be my best shot. I presume it'll be better than the stock cooler?

I have the stock AMD cooler that most the vendors use. Link. So I'm not sure if tampering with that plastic shell will cause airflow inefficiencies, since it seems to direct the air through the top of the PCB strategically.

xtravar

Post by xtravar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Here's a picture to show everyone what I'm working with. And a picture of my case, just for the lol factor (notice the CPU heatsink)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:45 pm

That piece of sheet metal in front of the graphics card is just stupid, maybe time to remove it? :wink:

I think the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo (non Pro version - Important!) may fit, since it got a four heatpipe design it gives pretty good cooling capacity, better than the L2 for sure.
It's pretty much a S1 with lower height and fans included.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?s ... nb.jpg&1=1

But you have to find out if it fits, I don't know, but I think it's possible with some modding/hammer.

It's not being produced anymore, but can still be bought in stores: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/eol/v ... turbo.html

Another alternative is the Scythe Musashi, the pipes goes in the other direction, meaning that it's easy to lower the height just by cutting the fins and swap the 100 mm fans with 92 mm.
I bet this one requires making hole in front of the card, otherwise it won't fit.

xtravar

Post by xtravar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:38 am

Mats wrote:That piece of sheet metal in front of the graphics card is just stupid, maybe time to remove it? :wink:
Alright, you pushed me over the edge. I did it and now the case is much more manageable in so many ways. I didn't need the hard drive cage anyway because SSD + network storage.

Now, time to compare all the coolers again...

xtravar

Post by xtravar » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Adding picture just in case someone is interested in how it turned out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.