[YOUR] Definition of a liberal
1. You have to be against capital punishment, but support abortion on demand.
2. You have to believe that businesses create oppression and governments create prosperity.
3. You have to believe that guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens are more of a threat than U.S. nuclear weapons technology in the hands of Chinese and North Korean communists.
4. You have to believe that there was no art before federal funding.
5. You have to believe that global temperatures are less affected by cyclical changes in the earth's climate and more affected by soccer moms driving SUVs.
6. You have to believe that gender roles are artificial, but being homosexual is natural.
7. You have to believe that the AIDS virus is spread by a lack of federal funding.
8. You have to believe that the same teacher who can't teach 4th-graders how to read is somehow qualified to teach those same kids about sex.
9. You have to believe that hunters don't care about nature, but PETA activists do.
10. You have to believe that self-esteem is more important than actually doing something to earn it.
11. You have to believe that Mel Gibson spent $25 million of his own money to make "The Passion of the Christ" for financial gain only.
12. You have to believe the NRA is bad because it supports certain parts of the Constitution, while the ACLU is good because it supports certain parts of the Constitution.
13. You have to believe that taxes are too low, but ATM fees are too high.
14. You have to believe that Margaret Sanger and Gloria Steinem are more important to American history than Thomas Jefferson, Gen. Robert E. Lee, and Thomas Edison.
15. You have to believe that standardized tests are racist, but racial quotas and set-asides are not.
16. You have to believe that the only reason socialism hasn't worked anywhere it's been tried is because the right people haven't been in charge.
17. You have to believe that this message is a part of a vast, right-wing conspiracy.
1. I understand how these two are related, but I don't think they are equivalent. And turning it around, many "conservatives" believe that all abortions are murder, but then they support capital punishment and war; which would seem to be inconsistent with loving all life.
2. This is not an either/or choice -- do conservatives support child labor, and/or public education?
3. What about fraudulent gun sales, or stolen guns, or accidental deaths, or crimes of passion? Where are the state militias? What do nuclear weapons have to do with the 2nd Amendment?
5. Science doesn't change relative to one's political beliefs.
6. You are conflating things that are not equivalent. Gender roles are largely determined by culture and religion. Homosexuality is not a choice, and it has existed in all cultures and religions. If you believe that homosexuality is a choice -- when did you choose to be straight?
7. Huh? Are you saying that the market or something else other than the government, will try to solve the AIDS crisis?
8. Huh? Are you saying all teachers are failures, and why bother trying to educate our children?
9. Can hunters care about animal cruelty? Is all hunting cruelty?
10. How is this a liberal trait?
11. See 10.
12. I think the ACLU supports all of the Constitution. The NRA's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment is hardly universal -- again, where are these State Militias?
13. See 10.
14. Taxes are the obligation for the privilege of living in an organized society. If you want to live without paying any taxes, then please find your own "country" to live in. By staying put and getting the benefits of an organized society, then you either have to take part and try to change the parts of it that you don't like, or don't complain.
15. All tests are biased to a certain extent; and quotas are an imperfect correction for long term racism.
16. Are you conflating socialism and communism?
17. This list is based on your personal opinions.
Questions about conservatives:
1. Do all conservatives believe in environmental conservation?
2. Do all conservatives love all weapons, no matter how lethal?
3. Are all conservatives libertarian; or are they all anarchists?
4. Do conservatives think all taxes are bad, and that all businesses are good?
5. Do all conservatives think that to any issue, there are only either/or, black/white, right/left, right/wrong, us/them answers?