My CPU heatsink is SOO loud! Help please!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Smochii

My CPU heatsink is SOO loud! Help please!

Post by Smochii » Sun May 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi everyone! First time posting on SilentPC Review! I hope I wont bother anyone with my post but here goes! My friend and I built this PC back in June and it is a powerful little machine. Thing is it's REALLY loud. I recently replaced the default thermaltake fans with 2 120mm Noctua NF-S12B's on Ultra Low Noise Adapter pins and it's helped a little bit. They are indeed quite quieter than the last ones I had. They are amazingly silent! but the computer is still loud. I believe the CPU Heatsink is what's causing all the noise after isolating each fan the heatsink was the one that was guns blazing making all the noise. Thing is it's quite small and im not sure what kind of heatsink would fit onto the motherboard.

EDIT: The fan has AM3 written on it. Im assuming thats the type of connecter available for it? Not sure exactly help would be appreciated!

I'll post the hardware in the computer and maybe you guys can help me in regards to what steps I should take to make it quiet. Thanks in advance!

VL8000 Series Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

ASUS M4N68T-M Motherboard

OCZ Stealth X Stream 2 700W Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Multi-Core Processor 2.80GHZ

GeForce GTX 295 Co-op Edition Graphics Card

4GB XMS3 DDR3 Corsair Ram

2TB Western Digital Internal Hard Drive

2x 120 MM Noctua NF-S12B Fans

I've also included some pictures on what the case currently looks like.

Thanks for all your help!
Last edited by Smochii on Sun May 08, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Re: My CPU heatsink is SOO loud! Help please!

Post by ces » Sun May 08, 2011 6:01 pm

What is the CPU Heatsink and what fan are you using on it?

Smochii

Post by Smochii » Sun May 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey there thanks for the reply! Im actually not sure what type of heatsink I currently have on my motherboard there are no distinct markings besides AM3 if that helps..
I think its a default heatsink that might have come with the motherboard or something, not completely sure. I was just wondering what new CPU heatsink I could buy that would be much silent and would fit my motherboard socket connectors. Thanks!

phanmc

Post by phanmc » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

AM3 is the motherboard socket type I believe, so it won't really tell us much about the heatsink fan aside that it is the correct fit for your motherboard.

I think the best value/performance heatsink is the Cooler Master Hyper 212plus. There are better heatsinks out there but they're usually almost twice as expensive as the Hyper 212. It'll fit a AM3 motherboard, though you'll probably have to take the motherboard out to install the backplate.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:53 am

From what I gather, your main problem is that the CPU fan is spinning too high. If I'm looking at your picture right and using a reference pic of your mainboard, it looks, as though you might have plugged the CPU-fan into a 3-pin header. Directly above that should be a 4-pin header. If the CPU-fan is a 4-pin fan, you should first try to plug it into the adjacent connector.

I, photoshop wizard that I am, made a pic.

ces

Post by ces » Tue May 10, 2011 8:35 am

tim851 wrote:From what I gather, your main problem is that the CPU fan is spinning too high. If I'm looking at your picture right and using a reference pic of your mainboard, it looks, as though you might have plugged the CPU-fan into a 3-pin header. Directly above that should be a 4-pin header. If the CPU-fan is a 4-pin fan, you should first try to plug it into the adjacent connector.
Wow. That was an impressive catch.

If that doesn't help enough, get an SPCR approved after market cooler. See:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

ces

Post by ces » Tue May 10, 2011 8:35 am

tim851 wrote:From what I gather, your main problem is that the CPU fan is spinning too high. If I'm looking at your picture right and using a reference pic of your mainboard, it looks, as though you might have plugged the CPU-fan into a 3-pin header. Directly above that should be a 4-pin header. If the CPU-fan is a 4-pin fan, you should first try to plug it into the adjacent connector.
Wow. That was an impressive catch.

If that doesn't help enough, get an SPCR approved after market cooler. See:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:57 am

ASUS mainboards usually have temperature controlled variable CPU fan speed turned off by default. After moving the 4-pin CPU fan plug to the 4-pin CPU connector you'll have to go into the BIOS and turn on the 'Smart Q-Fan' function.

protellect

Post by protellect » Sat May 14, 2011 6:12 am

You're using the stock AMD phenom cooler.

See if you have the 4 pin connector from the cpu fan in the correct slot. Check if the motherboard has the Q-FAN feature on, as previous poster stated.