Problem with my 2TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The Gangrel

Problem with my 2TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4

Post by The Gangrel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:20 am

OK, So I installed Windows 7 and everything seemed OK.

Decided to run Hddtune and was getting dips down to about 50/60mbs in the first 200gb or so of the drive. That didn't seem right, so I updated the motherboard chipset drivers and now I get dips down to 2mbs when running hddtune, in fact hdtune seems to freeze entirely. Also, whilst hddtune is running the hard drive is making an awful, high pitched, cyclic squealing noise.

I think the hdd was manufactured early 2011, so hopefully isn't that firmware issue (is it possible old firmware was still on newer drives?).

Has anyone else encountered this, what should I do...RMA or try to update firmware?.

Jim G

Re: Problem with my 2TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4

Post by Jim G » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Have you got any other hard drives in the system? If so, have they also been affected by the chipset update?

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:41 pm

The driver and the fact of it having a system drive duty might be all of it, but you can run a diagnostic on the drive to be sure it's not going bad. Seagates SeaTools for Windows is a good one. The Long Drive Self Test could take a couple of hours but then you know wheter the drive itself is okay or not.

The Gangrel

Post by The Gangrel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:02 am

Here is the screenshot of the second drive:

Which seems to dip rather dramatically too, should it have such dips?. I think there must be some kind of problem with the boot drive, as when I tried a system restore I get this message:

Furthermore, there seems to be a strange, cyclic metallic sound eminating from the drive. The board I'm using is an MSI H61 Board.

Dirge

Post by Dirge » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

I would start with Samsung's HDD diagnostic software to make sure you have a healthy drive.

Taken from the Smartmontools project wiki
Smartmontools wrote:According to Samsung Support, HD204UI drives manufactured December 2010 or later include the firmware patch