Will it work -- AM3 CPU on AM2 board (690G)?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ksanderash

Will it work -- AM3 CPU on AM2 board (690G)?

Post by Ksanderash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi everyone at SPCR! )

It happed so that I own now an old 690G board (ECS 690G), and I want to get it work.

But, the question is -- what the most modern CPU I can use on it?

Will these work?
1) AMD Sempron 140 (2700 MHz), AM3
2) AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 240 (2800 MHz), AM3

Thanks in advance!

matchu

Re: Will it work -- AM3 CPU on AM2 board (690G)?

Post by matchu » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi, Ksanderash

If I recall correctly, AM2 boards will support AM2 cpus and AM2+ cpus. Not AM3 cpus.

You will probably do best with an Athlon 64 or some Phenom processors (9000-series, 920, 940)

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:30 pm

I looked into this a while ago when a friend wanted to upgrade his CPU on a 690G mobo. It should work, but you will need to update to the latest BIOS first (before you put in the AM3 CPU). I had no problems putting an AM3 quad-core phenom into an Asus M2A-VM HDMI mobo. To be fair, I only tried it because I found someone on a forum who had done it already with that mobo and CPU.

I can't find much from a quick google of "ECS AMD690GM-M2 am3" other than a page in Chinese(?) that seems to metion a BIOS update and "AM3" in the same sentence. It's up to you if you want to risk trying it (the only risk is whether you waste money on the CPU - no danger of letting the smoke out). Perhaps if you buy the CPU from a local shop that has a good returns policy?

Assuming it works, the most modern CPU you can use is anything on socket AM2/AM2+/AM3, which is basically AMD's whole lineup. You probably don't want to choose anything with a high TDP as the motherboard will only have been manufactured with the lower TDP limits of AM2 in mind, so your voltage regulation circuitry might not be up to scratch for a 95 or 125W CPU.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:25 pm

matchu wrote:Hi, Ksanderash

If I recall correctly, AM2 boards will support AM2 cpus and AM2+ cpus. Not AM3 cpus.

You will probably do best with an Athlon 64 or some Phenom processors (9000-series, 920, 940)
The definition of AM2 and AM2+ is so vague it's probably just weasel talk from the lawyers/marketers more than a concern for end users.

I have a ASUS M2A-VM that I bought as soon as they were available. The web documentation at time of release, the product box that I'm using to increase the height of my monitor stand, the manuals all said it was AM2. A few months after AM2+ was out the web documentation changed to calling it AM2+. Eventually they released a BIOS that allows this board to us an AM3 processor.

I'm literally typing this message on a PC with a X3-720 BE in a 690G "AM2" motherboard.

I'm sure there is a board somewhere without the BIOS support for the chip you might want to put in it. I'm sure there is a board somewhere that was made so cheaply that it isn't in spec electrically to support AM2+/AM3 cpus in a "AM2" socket. I don't know that I'd consider those the norm though.

If it's cheap buy the CPU and see what happens. If it isn't research it by going to the web site for the motherboard manufacturer and reading the BIOS change logs / release notes and/or looking for a supported CPU list.

Even if the BIOS doesn't specifically support a CPU if it supports the general family of CPUs it may work but display the wrong name during POST. Or put another way the possibilities are

1. Won't boot at all with the chip in place
2. Will boot but doesn't identify the CPU properly
2a Is unreliable with that CPU
2b Is reliable with that CPU
3. Boots and identifies CPU properly
3a Is unreliable with that CPU
3b Is usable with that CPU but not as reliable as with the old CPU
3c Is more reliable with the new CPU than it was with the old CPU

In the case of the X3-720 BE on my 690G board from ASUS I got 3c. My memory runs in ganged mode (faster in a couple of ways), L3 cache makes everything seem smoother/faster, higher speed DDR2 is supported thanks to the memory controller being in the CPU not on the motherboard, and so on...

But if you aren't willing to waste money trying it yourself you might want to contact ECS tech support before getting anything.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 am

AM3 CPUs do work in AM2 sockets. I've built systems with that combination.

Not sure about AM3+ though.

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 am

Thank you so much for quick replies!

From the theory, yes, it's possible,

but the practice...

So, what options now I got:
1) I can write to ECS staff (though I don't really expect positive response about AM3 support)
2) I can buy a CPU at "money-back" store, update BIOS on board, and try :?
3) I can pick up any surely compatible old CPU. And say bye-bye to efficiency :shock:

I think I'll begin with ECS tech support... :)

Many thanks for replies, guys! If I hook an AM3 CPU with this board I'll let you know.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:29 am

AM3+ will lack DDR2 memory controllers (unless AMD changed their minds midway through development), and so will definitely* not work in AM2 motherboards.

My guess is an AM3 chip will work fine, but you might have to flash an updated BIOS.

Here is a question for you:
If the answer is "no, it will not work", would you be buying a new motherboard too? Because if the answer is yes, then you might as well buy the CPU, try it, and get the motherboard if you need it. This might cost you a little more on shipping, but saves you the trouble of figuring out if it will work.

hall1k

Post by hall1k » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Big Pimp Daddy wrote:I looked into this a while ago when a friend wanted to upgrade his CPU on a 690G mobo. It should work, but you will need to update to the latest BIOS first (before you put in the AM3 CPU). I had no problems putting an AM3 quad-core phenom into an Asus M2A-VM HDMI mobo. To be fair, I only tried it because I found someone on a forum who had done it already with that mobo and CPU.

I can't find much from a quick google of "ECS AMD690GM-M2 am3" other than a page in Chinese(?) that seems to metion a BIOS update and "AM3" in the same sentence. It's up to you if you want to risk trying it (the only risk is whether you waste money on the CPU - no danger of letting the smoke out). Perhaps if you buy the CPU from a local shop that has a good returns policy?

Assuming it works, the most modern CPU you can use is anything on socket AM2/AM2+/AM3, which is basically AMD's whole lineup. You probably don't want to choose anything with a high TDP as the motherboard will only have been manufactured with the lower TDP limits of AM2 in mind, so your voltage regulation circuitry might not be up to scratch for a 95 or 125W CPU.
Most AM2+ processors were 95W TDP, so you should be fine with that. Or just cool the crap out of the voltage regulators (as long as you could keep them at a safe operating temperature, you could draw 10,000W from them if you wanted). That said, according to wikipedia: "AM3 processors work on AM2+ motherboards due to the presence of both the DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers on the processor"

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:07 am

ECS Support (TPE)
Posted : GMT 2011/06/08 01:03:40

Dear Alex,

Thanks for contacting ECS!
AMD690GM-M2 can't support AM3 CPU,Please use our test PASS CPU.Thanks!

The M/B CPU support List:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... agment-CPU

Thanks & regards,
Technical Support Dept.
M-m-m... As expected :lol:

P.S. Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H CPU support list. Slightly differ from ECS approach, huh? )