Motherboard whine

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ickarumba1

Motherboard whine

Post by ickarumba1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:09 pm

My motherboard makes a high-pitch whine every 5 or so minutes. I hadn't noticed it before, but since I've quietened my system, it's rather apparent.
My motherboard is Gigabyte P67A-UD3R.
I have it in a Fractal R2, but since the whine is high-pitched, I don't think the bitumen can absorb the sound?
What should I do? Put some acoustipack in there to absorb the sound?

m0002a

Re: Motherboard whine

Post by m0002a » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:16 pm

I believe I read about some people who applied 100% silicone sealant on the coils to help with the problem. Did you search the forum for old threads on this subject?

hall1k

Post by hall1k » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm

As soon as I saw your post I immediately thought of bad capacitors. They often make that kind of whine when they blow (think hotdogs in the microwave). Even if you have solid caps on your board, the smaller sized caps are usually still electrolytic because solids don't come in capacities that small.

That said, definitely try and find out what's making the sound, as no motherboard should be whining, rather than just covering it up.

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:09 pm

It only sometimes whines, usually after I play a game or the computer has been on for several hours.
I'm sure it's the coils, not the capacitors as the whine sound is similar to coil whines on graphics cards (if you've played Crysis, you'll know the coil whine from the opening screen).