I've built PC for data storage. It runs on Linux with software RAID.
- ASRock E350M1 - 120 USD
- GOODRAM DDR3 2 GB/1333 MHz/CL9 - 22 USB
- PSU FORTRON FSP350-60APN 85 - 40 USD
- 3x Samsung EG F4 2 TB - 3x 95 USD (RAID5 for data)
- 2x used WD 160 GB/2.5/SATA - 2x 35 USD (RAID1 for system)
- Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 - 50 USD
Total: 587 USD.
Discs are soft-mounted. Also fan in PSU is slowed down by 4 diodes in series.
- idle - 36W
- discs off - 26 W
- CPUBurn - 45 W
- CPU - 50 oC
- Samsung HDDs - 33 oC
- WD HDDs - 36 oC
And some pictures...
Left side. I've done some modification to case
Now I can add more soft-mounted drives
Front without cover.
Back. You can see E-SATA to SATA cable...
Front cover. A fan is pretty noisy, so I keep it off.
Front cover (no flash).
Front cover (photo with flash, looks ugly...).
With all drives mounted.
It runs pretty quiet