Fractal Design Define Mini

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tephras

Fractal Design Define Mini

Post by Tephras » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 am

Fractal Design has a new case out, the Define Mini. It's a smaller version of the Define R2/R3, a case that I didn't really like personally, but as it's not that many good options to choose from when it comes to microATX-cases I think this new case is a lot more interesting.

Narud

Re: Fractal Design Define Mini

Post by Narud » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:36 am

Indeed a great option for mATX cases, and having the PSU at the bottom is something I like. The only thing I don't like much is the Depth, on their website it says that it is 490mm which is 20mm deeper than my SOLO (470mm), for me a bit too mcuh.

JL5
Patron of SPCR

Post by JL5 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 am

This looks quite interesting to me despite the holes on top and side. Curious whether their ModuVent is just a gimmick or if it works. Waiting eagerly for reviews!

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 am

JL5 wrote:Curious whether their ModuVent is just a gimmick or if it works.
I've done something similar to the top vent on my Antec P182.

It definitely works to make the system quieter from the front and top of the case, so I guess that the ModuVent would be pretty effective. :)

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:33 am

Good stuff. The extra expansion card slot is brilliant, allows you to install something like a fan controller or USB bracket without sacrificing a PCI slot. I'd like to see more cases incorporate something like this.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:46 pm

I like the minimalist design...almost Apple-ish. And I like the fact the I/O ports are on top (with USB 3.0). The feet seem nice and high so I wonder if there is a vent on the bottom. I just hope it doesn't have that bitumen smell inside.

Thanks for posting this. Definitely a nomination for an SPCR review ! (I don't think there has been a mini case reviewed for a while (?)).

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:36 pm

I don't know.

This is a little bigger even than Lian-Li's PC-A05 enclosure and that one fits a full size ATX board. Granted, nobody really needs them anymore, but still. I'd expect my mATX enclosures to be more on the petite side.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 pm

To be fair, PC-A05N is pretty small for an ATX case and doesn't have nearly as many 3.5" slots and fan mounts. Define Mini is probably meant to compete with products like the P180 Mini, which offer relatively small size without sacrificing airflow, hard drive slots, etc.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 pm

My video review of the define R2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6U0w2eWos

Fractal's initial focus was making cases for "Silent PC" consumers, but discovered their simple exteriors appealed to a much broader range of users. Compared to Antec's P series, Fractal's cases have more space for HDs, more fan options, better cable routing holes with grommets and a filtered intake for bottom mounted PSU..

fyi: Fractal Design will be CES this weekend, at the Venetian Hotel and they will have US Retailers very soon!

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Just received an email back from Fractal. They don't use bitumen any more for soundproofing, just the regular foam material. Also, the mini (along with the R3) does not have any more than 2 external bays. Which rules it out for me.

Still, it's a nice looking, updated and comparable version to the Antec mini P180.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 am

I will buy this, no question about it. I've had to use the clumsy and unacceptably huge P182 so far, as I've found no better alternative in terms of cooling, cable management and sound insulation.

Imagine my frustration when I assembled a new mATX build and realized there was not a single mATX case that could beat the P182. :roll:

Fractal Design
-- Vendor --

Post by Fractal Design » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:25 am

Whispercat: I must correct you on the bitumen matter - we still use bitumen on both the R3 and the Mini. The only change that's been made since the R2 is that there's a textile cover over the bitumen, making it a nicer look. The sound proofing characteristics are the same.

The concern that we had from some early revisions of R2 about the case smelling, was not from the bitumen, it was from the rubber grommets over the M/B cable routing holes. We immediately changed the rubber type and the problem is gone since long.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Fractal Design wrote:Whispercat: I must correct you on the bitumen matter - we still use bitumen on both the R3 and the Mini. The only change that's been made since the R2 is that there's a textile cover over the bitumen, making it a nicer look. The sound proofing characteristics are the same.

The concern that we had from some early revisions of R2 about the case smelling, was not from the bitumen, it was from the rubber grommets over the M/B cable routing holes. We immediately changed the rubber type and the problem is gone since long.
Great, thanks for clearing that up.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:37 pm

I am EAGER to find this case in stores. The Mini might just have "converted me" from the also anticipated NZXT H2.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:27 pm

This link says late may as delivery date, so in real world it probably means more than a month left.

http://www.quietpc.com/se-se-eur/produc ... efine-mini

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 am

Mats wrote:This link says late may as delivery date, so in real world it probably means more than a month left.

That web shop sells quite a lot of interesting products for cheap. Is the web shop reputable and reliable?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 am

I've used them for years, and they have been absolutely fine. On occasion I have bought their 'B grade' products. This is an option that can be worth considering - look for example at the 'B grade' prices for the Fractal Design R3 http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... d-definer3.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 am

What does "B-grade" mean? refurbished?

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 am

kuzzia wrote:What does "B-grade" mean? refurbished?
http://www.quietpc.com/se-se-eur/products/bgrade

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Mats wrote:This link says late may as delivery date, so in real world it probably means more than a month left.

That website says they have 21 in stock. Has anyone successfully ordered one yet? (or seen one in person)

I contacted Fractal through their website and got no reply. And the Computex exhibitor info page for Fractal doesn't list the Define Mini (maybe means they didn't bring one for display?):
http://www.computextaipei.com.tw/en_US/ ... A7531EBAF5

Fractal Design
-- Vendor --

Post by Fractal Design » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 am

Next delivery to UK will be in about a month. Sorry about that delay.

Can you please tell me which contact point you used on the form that didn't get reply? Please also PM me your email address so I can check why your question wasn't answered. Thanks.

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:23 am

I did end up receiving a reply on June 8. (I'm guessing Computex kept everyone busy?) It only said that the Define Mini is expected to be available from Newegg in early summer, so I guess that's anywhere from now until the end of July?

Fractal Design
-- Vendor --

Post by Fractal Design » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Newegg will receive Define Mini at about the same time, Mid July.

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 pm

These are just some unboxing snaps I took for anyone who wants to get a better sense of what's inside. The pics are high res but the imageshack zoom button wasn't working for me in Firefox so you might also have to do a right-click > View Image to see the full size pics.

http://imageshack.us/g/233/dm1kt.jpg/

Haven't finished putting the system together yet so nothing's been powered up in it. First impressions are it's a nice quality case. Some gaps around the front where dust can bypass the fan filters though; I'll probably give positive pressure a try by using two 120mm fans in the front.

The rubber grommets on the drive trays are unfortunately not very soft. They can be removed easily. They cannot be repositioned to the 2.5"/SSD drive holes.

stardusk

Post by stardusk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:57 am

Has it an motherboard connector for usb3 or do you have to use a usb3 port at the back?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 pm

stardusk wrote:Has it an motherboard connector for usb3 or do you have to use a usb3 port at the back?
Welcome to SPCR!

In honour of your first post, I will do you the favour of digging into the product specs on the product's page which is the first link in this thread:
On top of front panel: 2x USB2, 1x USB3 and Audio I/O
Now this is pure speculation on my part, but usually those ports do come with a way to connect them to a motherboard via an included cable and connector, both of which have traditionally been installed in the correct fashion to make them appropriate for plugging in by the end user of the motherboard. So probably yes, there is included a motherboard connector for USB3 so you don't need to use a USB3 port at the back!

Next time, Google. :P

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:53 pm

stardusk wrote:Has it an motherboard connector for usb3 or do you have to use a usb3 port at the back?
Based on sneaker's picture: Image

It looks like a proper plug instead of one you route out the back and plug in to a rear USB port.

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Hmm, it looks like Newegg got a shipment of Fractal cases in (since they're no longer listed as out of stock), but no sign of the mini yet... :(

fdsafdsafdsafdsa

Post by fdsafdsafdsafdsa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:16 pm

The Mini is in on Newegg now. They actually have everything except the Array R2

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:07 am

Thought I'd throw my recently assembled system pics up since there were only a couple on the web when I was researching clearances etc prior to purchase. Nothing really special here but it's the first time I've assembled a full desktop since my Antec 3700-BQE based system eight years ago, so I was kinda excited about my little back-to-the-future journey after years with various SFF and laptop systems.

Pics are high res for those who like a good stickybeak. Board is a DH67BL with an i5-2500K and Noctua NH-U9B SE2. The heatsink fan overhangs the two DIMM slots nearest the CPU, though my Kingston KVR DIMMs are pretty low profile and fit with plenty of room to spare.

Idle temps after 24/7 running in 18-21C ambient temp with the Noctua and two front Fractal fans all at around 650 RPM are:

CPU: 33
PCH: 61
VR: 35
RAM: 34
HD0 (3.5): 30
HD1 (2.5): 26