Hows the AMD Sempron 140 HSF??

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnniecache7

Hows the AMD Sempron 140 HSF??

Post by johnniecache7 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Hows the AMD Sempron 140 HSF noise wise at load is it deafing loud? I'm building up another basic system for someone and never run the stock AMD Sempron 140 HSF so I was wondering how loud it is so I know if I should use it or not.

loimlo

Re: Hows the AMD Sempron 140 HSF??

Post by loimlo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:11 am

It is more or less equal to other AMD stock coolers ....... nothing more, nothing less. It should be quiet enough for average Joe if you don't push it too hard.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:18 am

loimlo wrote:It is more or less equal to other AMD stock coolers ....... nothing more, nothing less. It should be quiet enough for average Joe if you don't push it too hard.
It's alot smaller then the stardard AMD coolers used on the quads I know that All AMD HSF are built buy AVC and SPCR tested them around 32dba which isn't deafing but not slient. I don't entend be doing any overclocking with just don't want go deaf when playing some older games on it or watching MP4 files.

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:09 am

No experience but it's very easily cooled being a 45nm single core. Try it out first, unless you suspect that the cooler will also have to fight a fair bit of ambient heat as well.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:33 am

johnniecache7 wrote: It's alot smaller then the stardard AMD coolers used on the quads I know that All AMD HSF are built buy AVC and SPCR tested them around 32dba which isn't deafing but not slient. I don't entend be doing any overclocking with just don't want go deaf when playing some older games on it or watching MP4 files.
Well, you've to understand AMD basically bundles three kinds of stock coolers with 45nm CPU in terms of cooler dimension:
1. cooler with heatpipes for 125W TDP.
2. cooler with no-heatpipe, larger aluminum base for 95W TDP. I guess it's the one you mentioned.
3. cooler with no-heatpipe, smaller aluminum base for 65/45W TDP.

Remind you, sempron 140 is 45W TDP which is way below 95W quad core like Athlon X4 640. It doesn't need that much cooling muscle in comparison with 95W quad. In my previous post, I think you compared it to other 45/65W coolers.

During normal use like web surfing, listening to MP3, watching mkv, I think any cooler would be fine if you don't put it in a super hot/bad cooling enclosure. Btw, Intel/AMD did change maker of coolers batch by batch. I'd experienced Intel/AMD stock coolers being made by Foxconn before.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:24 pm

the little heatsink is tiny, about 40mm tall including the thin 70mm fan.

with my 140 undervolted by 0.275v, cnq enabled, gigabyte fan control on auto and an ambient of about 15C, my fan is spinning at about 1250rpm in idle and less then 1500rpm at full load. temperatures don't break 35C full load.
my case is open with no other moving parts, it's not silent but pretty quiet.

i think it isn't worth replacing, but use it and if you don't like how it sounds replace it!

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:02 pm

I've built system with the sempron 140 but not for my use it seemed pretty quiet but I didn't have graphics card installed nor was it used for old games. I didn't hear the HSF over the two S-flex 1200rpm fans and sparkle 350 watt power supply. The next system I'm going built will have CM Elite 335 case,HD4650 DDR3,Seasonic SS 400ET PSU,two Noctua NF-S12B FLX 1200rpm fans. The stock HSF at the time was at only 2000rpm and temps about 39c and it's roasting inside my apartment it was very bare able and not loud. Well I'm going build it and will report back later on the noise level;here's to hoping it's not loud because quiet aftermarket HSF cost more then the CPU :mrgreen: .